Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Posters writing how some of these draft picks could help the sane year confuses me. They never do. They never allow it. They shut them down.
    Who said that? I was just wondering if he was going to get some innings at low A
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Who said that? I was just wondering if he was going to get some innings at low A
    Not you. Some posters every time there is a high college pick. A pitcher specifically. It gets asked or opinionated that they should be brought up in Aug or September. It never happens. Even as relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Didn't Ryan Wagner come up the same year? That's the only one I could think of, and not a great example either.
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Not a Red, but Garrett Crochet was called up by the White Sox the same year he was drafted. It does happen, but it is quite rare.
    Those were back when the draft was in June, and pitchers could roll from their college season into a pro one. With the draft a month later now pitchers are shut down for that extra month, and it would take a little time to ramp them back up just to pitch a few innings at the end of the season, and teams don't want to play with their arms like that.

5. Likes:

mth123 (08-10-2023),Z-Fly (08-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Those were back when the draft was in June, and pitchers could roll from their college season into a pro one. With the draft a month later now pitchers are shut down for that extra month, and it would take a little time to ramp them back up just to pitch a few innings at the end of the season, and teams don't want to play with their arms like that.

Was it to avoid having teams overuse players or for some other reason they pushed it back.

No idea

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Was it to avoid having teams overuse players or for some other reason they pushed it back.
    I would follow the money. It’s usually always about money.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

It was moved to coincide with the ASG, boost viewership.

It also allows for the "combine" to occur after the collegiate world series ends - where the top 300 players gather (as determined by the Head Office).

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I would follow the money. It’s usually always about money.
    Yep. They wanted to cut out rookie leagues entirely. Now they have "Complex Leagues" but rookie leagues (the Reds' had Billings' as a rookie league team) were axed entirely. It's the type of thing a hedge fund would do in the name of "efficiency."
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

REDREAD (03-10-2024),Tom Servo (08-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Yep. They wanted to cut out rookie leagues entirely. Now they have "Complex Leagues" but rookie leagues (the Reds' had Billings' as a rookie league team) were axed entirely. It's the type of thing a hedge fund would do in the name of "efficiency."
    Continuing in the follow the money line, MLB teams once drafted 50 rounds and sorted them out in the minors. They noticed, however, that with few exceptions those drafted outside the top 20 were unlikely to succeed. Further, MLB teams became better at measuring which players had the requisite skills to succeed. Thus it made economic sense to let those players left after the first 20 rounds (and UFA's) go to the independent leagues to demonstrate their ML potential. ML teams could then sign those players who developed an ability that they had overlooked at draft time. In effect, through contraction of the draft, they shifted the cost of the rookie leagues to independent leagues.

13. Likes:

HokieRed (01-17-2024),j.u.FAIRFIIELD (01-17-2024),REDREAD (03-10-2024)

Paul Skenes, #1 overall pick, has made his debut. He worked a 1-2-3 inning, fanning one.

Matt Reynolds went deep in the 1st (19). That was home run number 167 on the season for Louisville - an all-time Bats record. The team has 35 or 40 games left to go.

Not much info on Lowder in here.

MLB has Lowder as the #6 top RHP prospect for 2024

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-right-h...pects-for-2024

1. Paul Skenes, Pirates (2024)
    2. Jackson Jobe, Tigers (2025)
    3. Cade Horton, Cubs (2024)
    4. Andrew Painter, Phillies (2025)
    5. Jacob Misiorowski, Brewers (2025)
    6. Rhett Lowder, Reds (2024)
    7. Mick Abel, Phillies (2024)
    8. Chase Dollander, Rockies (2026)
    9. Dylan Lesko, Padres (2026)
    10. Noble Meyer, Marlins (2026)
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

Redhook (01-16-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    MLB has Lowder as the #6 top RHP prospect for 2024

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-right-h...pects-for-2024

1. Paul Skenes, Pirates (2024)
    2. Jackson Jobe, Tigers (2025)
    3. Cade Horton, Cubs (2024)
    4. Andrew Painter, Phillies (2025)
    5. Jacob Misiorowski, Brewers (2025)
    6. Rhett Lowder, Reds (2024)
    7. Mick Abel, Phillies (2024)
    8. Chase Dollander, Rockies (2026)
    9. Dylan Lesko, Padres (2026)
    10. Noble Meyer, Marlins (2026)
    Having the 6th best RHP prospect in baseball is wild when he's still the 4th best RHP prospect in the division. I know it's just rankings but the division seems pretty stacked with young talent all around.

20. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaReds View Post
    Having the 6th best RHP prospect in baseball is wild when he's still the 4th best RHP prospect in the division. I know it's just rankings but the division seems pretty stacked with young talent all around.
    According to MLB Pipeline rankings, the Reds are #5 in best farm systems in all of baseball. Impressive, huh? Unfortunately, three of the teams who rank better are in the NL Central (Pirates, Cubs, and Brewers).
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

22. Likes:

AlaskaReds (01-17-2024)

Turn Off Ads?