Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

  1. #31
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    27,628

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    According to MLB Pipeline rankings, the Reds are #5 in best farm systems in all of baseball. Impressive, huh? Unfortunately, three of the teams who rank better are in the NL Central (Pirates, Cubs, and Brewers).
    Sounds like recruiting rankings in the SEC (football)


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Aristocratic Hoosier
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sounds like recruiting rankings in the SEC (football)
    Farm systems don't win pennants. You don't need the whole farm system. You need a couple of good players to come through and make the team.
    Guys like Votto. After that, you build rosters in several ways.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

  4. #33
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,562

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    According to MLB Pipeline rankings, the Reds are #5 in best farm systems in all of baseball. Impressive, huh? Unfortunately, three of the teams who rank better are in the NL Central (Pirates, Cubs, and Brewers).
    I really like Skenes. He's got all the tools to be dominant. Beyond him, though, pretty much every Pirate prospect took a massive tumble down the production ladder. (Termarr Johnson's first half was absolutely putrid.) Quinn Priester was among the worst pitchers in his league. Jared Jones was nothing special. Bubba Chandler proved hittable (and struggled with command). Anthony Solometo was good in A+, then hit a wall in AA. I'm okay with basing some prospect ranking on tools, but eventually, those tools have to show out. Remarkably few of the Pirate tools have indeed shown out.

    In Milwaukee, Chourio seems to be EDLC Lite. Beyond him, Tyler Black looks like a stud. Carlos Rodriguez's AA season was very, very good. And that's... about it.

    Chicago's system grade seems even more optimistic. They're touting Peter Crow-Armstrong as a top 10 level guy, a true 60 prospect, and I just don't see it. He looks an awful lot like Drew Stubbs to me. Last year, he got exactly as many hits as I did in his 19-game stretch in the majors. And this after a decidedly league average season in AAA. Ben Brown had a 5.33 ERA in Iowa-- not exactly the stuff of an elite SP. Yet, MLB has him as a 60/60/60 pitch guy and a 55 FV overall. Cade Horton and Owen Caissie look good. (I'd like to target Caissie if possible.) That's about it for them.

    Cincinnati, meanwhile, had Sal Stewart, Edwin Arroyo, Jacob Hurtubise, Blake Dunn, Hector Rodriguez, Connor Phillips, and Julian Aguiar in the top 150 minor league performers. (Power ranking from Roster Resource) And that doesn't include Ty Floyd, Hunter Hollan, or Rhett Lowder.

  5. Likes:

    AlaskaReds (01-17-2024),JFLegal (01-17-2024),ochoa30 (01-17-2024),WebScorpion (03-04-2024)

  6. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,607

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    I think the Brewers had a sneaky good draft last year picking up guys like Bitoni and Pratt in later rounds on over slot deals. The Cubs system seems overrated to me, and I'd probably have Matt Shaw as my favorite prospect in their system. The Pirates are probably getting 80% of their rating for having Skenes.

  7. Likes:

    ochoa30 (01-17-2024)

  8. #35
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    32,819

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    Farm systems don't win pennants. You don't need the whole farm system. You need a couple of good players to come through and make the team.
    Guys like Votto. After that, you build rosters in several ways.
    This would seem to be an argument for packaging some minor leaguers with a big leaguer or two to upgrade the big league roster. Not sure if that is what you mean, but if so, I agree.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

  9. Likes:

    REDREAD (03-10-2024)

  10. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I really like Skenes. He's got all the tools to be dominant. Beyond him, though, pretty much every Pirate prospect took a massive tumble down the production ladder. (Termarr Johnson's first half was absolutely putrid.) Quinn Priester was among the worst pitchers in his league. Jared Jones was nothing special. Bubba Chandler proved hittable (and struggled with command). Anthony Solometo was good in A+, then hit a wall in AA. I'm okay with basing some prospect ranking on tools, but eventually, those tools have to show out. Remarkably few of the Pirate tools have indeed shown out.

    In Milwaukee, Chourio seems to be EDLC Lite. Beyond him, Tyler Black looks like a stud. Carlos Rodriguez's AA season was very, very good. And that's... about it.

    Chicago's system grade seems even more optimistic. They're touting Peter Crow-Armstrong as a top 10 level guy, a true 60 prospect, and I just don't see it. He looks an awful lot like Drew Stubbs to me. Last year, he got exactly as many hits as I did in his 19-game stretch in the majors. And this after a decidedly league average season in AAA. Ben Brown had a 5.33 ERA in Iowa-- not exactly the stuff of an elite SP. Yet, MLB has him as a 60/60/60 pitch guy and a 55 FV overall. Cade Horton and Owen Caissie look good. (I'd like to target Caissie if possible.) That's about it for them.

    Cincinnati, meanwhile, had Sal Stewart, Edwin Arroyo, Jacob Hurtubise, Blake Dunn, Hector Rodriguez, Connor Phillips, and Julian Aguiar in the top 150 minor league performers. (Power ranking from Roster Resource) And that doesn't include Ty Floyd, Hunter Hollan, or Rhett Lowder.
    Agree on Pete Crow-Armstrong. Don't get what all the fuss is about with him.
    Go BLUE!!!

  11. Likes:

    lollipopcurve (01-17-2024)

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    5,950

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    Farm systems don't win pennants. You don't need the whole farm system. You need a couple of good players to come through and make the team.
    Guys like Votto. After that, you build rosters in several ways.
    Except, virtually EVERY player in baseball, started in somebody’s farm system. You can’t build a roster without it.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

    “We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

  13. #38
    Aristocratic Hoosier
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Except, virtually EVERY player in baseball, started in somebody’s farm system. You can’t build a roster without it.
    True, but if you view 120 teams, 4 indy leagues, Asia, the islands, and all of college baseball as a fluid "farm system," the secret is to be able to find the few who truly are big-leaguers, and get them all in the same set of circumstances. I guess I don't see the Reds farm system as being caught in a corral that needs a grade. There are players in the Reds system who will make the majors through some other farm system. The caveat there is, if you are drafting and signing good talent every year, you have more control over how it develops. But even at that, there's only one Chase Petty per season. There might be 33 guys who are as good, but until he throws big-league pitches, he's just a minor leaguer with upside.
    Last edited by j.u.FAIRFIIELD; 01-17-2024 at 05:16 PM.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

  14. #39
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    15,269

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    MLB has Lowder as the #6 top RHP prospect for 2024

    https://www.mlb.com/news/top-right-h...pects-for-2024

    1. Paul Skenes, Pirates (2024)
    2. Jackson Jobe, Tigers (2025)
    3. Cade Horton, Cubs (2024)
    4. Andrew Painter, Phillies (2025)
    5. Jacob Misiorowski, Brewers (2025)
    6. Rhett Lowder, Reds (2024)
    7. Mick Abel, Phillies (2024)
    8. Chase Dollander, Rockies (2026)
    9. Dylan Lesko, Padres (2026)
    10. Noble Meyer, Marlins (2026)

    Rhett is smiling at the news
    Last edited by klw; 01-17-2024 at 09:41 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

  15. Likes:

    camisadelgolf (01-17-2024)

  16. #40
    Member podgejeff_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,894

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    According to MLB Pipeline rankings, the Reds are #5 in best farm systems in all of baseball. Impressive, huh? Unfortunately, three of the teams who rank better are in the NL Central (Pirates, Cubs, and Brewers).
    But they didn't just bring up Steer, EDLC, Benson, CES, McLain, Abbott, and Williamson to add to that top 5 farm.

    I can't recall a time we had this much young talent.

  17. Likes:

    757690 (01-18-2024),AlaskaReds (01-17-2024),MikeS21 (01-17-2024),ochoa30 (01-18-2024),Old school 1983 (01-17-2024)

  18. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    5,950

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    But they didn't just bring up Steer, EDLC, Benson, CES, McLain, Abbott, and Williamson to add to that top 5 farm.

    I can't recall a time we had this much young talent.
    Quite true. I love watching the minor league games, perhaps even more than the major league games. Now if they could only get Daytona’s home games to be televised on MiLB-TV.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

    “We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

  19. #42
    Member camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    12,556

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Reds Prospect Rhett Lowder Is a Chameleon on the Mound
    Laurila: Some of what I’ve read about you suggests craftsman, but are you actually more of a power guy?

    Lowder: “I think it just really depends on the game. One of my stronger suits is that I can adjust based on the opponent, and on some days you have more overpowering stuff than you do on others. I can kind of be like a chameleon and change based on the environment and the game I’m in. I’m not necessarily the same exact guy every single time I go out there.

    “There are some things I fall back on more times than not when I get into trouble, but going into most games, it really just depends on the [opponent]. I try to overlay my strengths over the other team’s weaknesses and kind of see where that leads me. I try to be able to adapt as quickly as possible.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Stop quoting me on things I never said.

  20. Likes:

    ochoa30 (02-15-2024),pedro (02-15-2024)

  21. #43
    Member RustyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    645

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    This brings to mind Johnny Cueto for me. Always seemed like he developed such an exceptional mastery of the craft, he could attack a lineup in completely different ways even in the same game. Maybe Lowder sneaks up on us in the same way.

  22. Likes:

    camisadelgolf (02-17-2024)

  23. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    994

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Lowder is going to be an interesting guy to watch. A lot of the “negative” I have seen associated with him seems more stylistic than substance. Pitching philosophy has morphed in the last decade plus to high velocity, high spin fastballs at the top of the zone and high velocity, high spin sliders diving out of the zone. Basically Paul Skenes is the poster child of what teams want whereas Lowder is more sinking fastball ground ball inducing

    Regardless of the philosophy, successful pitchers have good pitch movement and command, which Lowder has. While he is not blowing up radar guns, he has above average velocity which he can carry deep into games. I think he will surprise some people in that he will have a lot more swing and miss than folks project

    The other thing is the is the old investment saying of “ when everyone is running to one side of the boat you probably want to be on the other”. I think his style might cause problems for hitters who are gearing up night in and night out for high velo/high spin pitches

  24. Likes:

    Redhook (02-23-2024)

  25. #45
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Oregon City
    Posts
    5,475

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    ...Peter Crow-Armstrong ...he got exactly as many hits as I did in his 19-game stretch in the majors.

    "This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator