Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AA player Blake Dunn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AA player Blake Dunn

Just watching him play on Chattanooga and he looks like a Right handed Fraley.. hitting over .372 has some power too.. could see him in AAA before end of the season I think
    Last edited by Redsfan6272; 07-30-2023 at 03:49 PM.

Re: AA player Blake Dunn

If you adjust to 150 PAs, Blake Dunn leads the Southern League in BA by 70 points. He also leads the league in OPB, and OPS. He also tops the league in wOBA and wRC+. He is 4th in SLG and 7th in SB. He's also tied for tops in the league in Spd Score despite having 2/3 of the PAs of the other guys with that score.

Dunn has been positively Redus-like in his production.

3. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-01-2023)

I had posted this in a different thread but probably worth putting here

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Without knowing his background I kind of wrote Dunn off as just another overage career minor leaguer playing well against younger competition but his is actually a far more interesting prospect than I would have thought.

4 year college guy so he was 22 when he was drafted. He had a really good Soph season, but Jr. year was largely wiped out by Covid and Sr. year he injured his hamate bone and missed a bunch of time and was hampered by it when he came back

The Reds drafted him in the 15th round in 2021 I am guessing largely on his tools ++Speed, +Arm, +Power. The guy is a REALLY good athlete but there were questions about whether he would hit

2022 at age 23 was his 1st real year in the minors, but he only played 37 games due to injury and was an .878 OPS bat

So he is 24, but this is the 1st full season of baseball he has played 3 years. The results are promising and the tools loud. I don’t know if he will amount to anything but he is a lot more interesting than organizational filler

5. Likes:

membengal (07-30-2023),Old school 1983 (07-30-2023),Redsfan6272 (07-31-2023),UKFlounder (07-30-2023)

You forgot to mention that he's reached base this season by being hit by a pitch about 25 times already. Like Friedl, he's incredibly situational, as a hitter and base-runner. He does whatever it takes to win (was hoping that Friedl didn't injure himself against that outfield wall yesterday, but he's back in the lineup today (batting 8th vs a Lefty with Benson, Fraley and Votto all waiting for their late-inning heroics on the bench).

Can't say it enough....he's already got the Viking Beard. He has to become a part of this group in Cincinnati eventually. His skillset matches up perfectly.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-01-2023 at 06:01 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-02-2023)

Blake Dunn is the SL Player of the Month for July per Milb.com.
    Chattanooga Lookouts (Reds) outfielder Blake Dunn batted .446/.528/.699 and led the league in average (.446), runs (25), hits (37), stolen bases (17) and on-base percentage (.528). He finished second in RBIs (24), total bases (58) and OPS (1.227) and was third in triples (two) and fifth in slugging percentage (.699). He recorded 10 multi-hit games, including a five-hit effort July 23 at Birmingham. Dunn, 24, was selected by Cincinnati in the 15th round of the 2021 MLB Draft out of Western Michigan University.

9. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (08-03-2023),WrongVerb (08-03-2023)

I have no idea where to rank him on prospect lists, but he can't be ignored. Given his draft position, someone in the organization already deserves a raise. I'd be thrilled with the next Chris Denorfia, but he's outpacing him every step of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Stop quoting me on things I never said.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I have no idea where to rank him on prospect lists, but he can't be ignored. Given his draft position, someone in the organization already deserves a raise. I'd be thrilled with the next Chris Denorfia, but he's outpacing him every step of the way.
    He's one of several old and/or depth guys who've stepped up this season. He and Hurtubise are OPSing 900+ in Chattanooga. Hopkins is doing the same in Louisville. McGarry and Johnson have been good since late May. Siani, depending on your opinion of him before this season, has found something over the past couple of months. Martini, Matt Reynolds, and others have all hit well in Louisville too.

Were I a minor league free agent hitter looking for my next home, that production would intrigue me. Perhaps they've found a system that will work. Of course, I'd have to balance that with the amount of talent ahead of me in line. Which, almost across the board, looks both settled and productive.

For pitchers, it's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He's in my top 10.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I kind of like Dunn as a replacement for Friedl. Kind of like CES, at some point production starts talking despite pedigree. There are a lot of things to like with Dunn.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-28-2023),Tom Servo (08-04-2023)

I started a thread here about Blake Dunn back in May. I like him.

https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...458-Blake-Dunn

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-28-2023)

Minor League Baseball has announced that Chattanooga Lookouts outfielder Blake Dunn has been named the Southern League Player of the Month for July. In July, outfielder Blake Dunn batted .446/.528/.699 and led the league in average (.446), runs (25), hits (37), stolen bases (17) and on-base percentage (.528). He finished second in RBI (24), total bases (58) and OPS (1.227) and was third in triples (two) and fifth in slugging percentage (.699). He recorded 10 multi-hit games, including a five-hit effort July 23 at Birmingham.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-28-2023),membengal (08-09-2023)

Is there an update on Dunn's health after being hit in the head by a pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Is there an update on Dunn's health after being hit in the head by a pitch?
    He played the next night, and was hit by a pitch again. Over 93 games this season, Dunn has been hit by a pitch 29 times. Ouch!

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-28-2023),wlf WV (08-17-2023)

In his 158 pro games, he has a .310/.422/.506/.928 line with 25 bombs and 72 steals in 79 tries.

He's by no means young for the levels he has played in, but any higher draft pick would be getting massive praise for this kind of production.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-28-2023)

Iíve read that Dunn is quite the athlete. A hurdles champion, fast 60-yard dash, pitched some in college. Good high school football player.

Certainly seems to have baseball skills. Has his share of strikeouts but hits with power to compensate.

Excited to see him at AAA and hopefully the Reds next year.

Turn Off Ads?