Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASTRONOMY Thread

ASTRONOMY Thread

Although I am a mathematician, by profession, astronomy has, from the time I was a little boy, captured my imagination and been my biggest passion. I can't get enough of the wonders of the Universe. We've learned a lot in the last century but there is still so much we don't yet know. I wanted a thread where myself and other like-minded sky watchers could post anything and everything about stars, planets, constellations, nebulae, black holes, dark energy, etc... The Outer space thread seemed to be mostly about UFOs and possible space visitations. Here, feel free to discuss anything astronomy-related.

I'll start with this. August is a very fun month for sky-watching enthusiasts, like myself. In the middle part of the month we have the always impressive Perseid meteor shower. Also, at the end of the month is a super rare Blue Supermoon!!! Make sure not to miss it!

Thanks, in advance , for helping contribute to this topic. I look forward to reading what all you have to say about our amazing Universe!!!

Here'a short video outlining some things to watch for in this sky this month. ENJOY!!!

Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-03-2023),Fil3232 (08-06-2023),Roy Tucker (08-03-2023),WrongVerb (08-03-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ASTRONOMY Thread

Has anyone heard about the recent paper by Rajendra Gupta, published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, in which he theorizes that the Universe is actually 26.7 billion years old, rather than the long-accepted 13.8 billion?

Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 08-03-2023 at 12:05 PM.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

For those who are into reading scientific abstracts, here is Gupta's paper.

https://academic.oup.com/mnras/artic...3/3385/7221343
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Can you imagine just how humanity-changing it would be if the Webb telescope spotted a Dyson's Sphere in our own galaxy?
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

7. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (08-03-2023),WrongVerb (08-03-2023)

Saw this yesterday about Voyager 2. Apparently there was an oopsy with sending a course correction.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — After days of silence, NASA has heard from Voyager 2 in interstellar space billions of miles away.

Flight controllers accidentally sent a wrong command nearly two weeks ago that tilted the spacecraft’s antenna away from Earth and severed contact.

https://apnews.com/article/nasa-voya...210b587f69663d
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (08-03-2023)

If you missed out on getting to see The Great American Eclipse in 2017, you get a second chance in early April of 2024. This total solar eclipse, being dubbed The Great North American Eclipse, will take place on April 8, 2024 and, for a lot of us, will mean having to drive just a few short hours to get within the band of totality. In 2017, I drove 2.5 hours into Tennessee to get to totality. Even if you have to drive six or seven hours, I would encourage you to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. The sun being 98 or 99% covered is not enough. The difference between a 98-99% darkened sun and 100% blacked out is like the difference between Luke Weaver and Tom Seaver.

I am planning on driving to Indianapolis to find my viewing spot. However, depending on the weather forecast, I may modify my route. I will travel in the direction of sunny skies, even if that takes me to Texas. I'm hoping for a sunny Indy, though. Good luck on getting a room booked somewhere within the band of totality. Most rooms have been booked for years!!!

Not for another twenty years(Aug. 23, 2044) will there be a total solar eclipse whose path will intersect the contiguous U.S. , and then you'll have to go to Montana or North Dakota to see it. The next one after that, March 30, 2052, will cross the state of Georgia.

Don't miss out on seeing The Great North American Eclipse in 2024!!!

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eclipse...al/where-when/
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 08-03-2023 at 12:03 PM.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Saw this yesterday about Voyager 2. Apparently there was an oopsy with sending a course correction.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — After days of silence, NASA has heard from Voyager 2 in interstellar space billions of miles away.

Flight controllers accidentally sent a wrong command nearly two weeks ago that tilted the spacecraft’s antenna away from Earth and severed contact.

https://apnews.com/article/nasa-voya...210b587f69663d
    It’s wild that computer equipment made in the 70s that isn’t even in the solar system anymore works at all. Just an insane engineering feat by NASA.

13. Likes:

RFS62 (08-03-2023),Roy Tucker (08-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It’s wild that computer equipment made in the 70s that isn’t even in the solar system anymore works at all. Just an insane engineering feat by NASA.
    Can't tell you how many times, Buck, I've thought the same thing. Just amazing!!!
    ---- Bill Vaughn

This is what I see on the mountain every time I walk out my front door.

Name:  90.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  39.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Can't tell you how many times, Buck, I've thought the same thing. Just amazing!!!
    I mean I’m on like my third iPad!

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-11-2023)

Do you think the enigmatic star, Betelgeuse, will blow itself up in our lifetime? Those living around 1054 A.D. were lucky enough to observe a supernova . Could we be as lucky about 1,000 years later?

https://www.space.com/betelgeuse-sup...e-study-unsure
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    This is what I see on the mountain every time I walk out my front door.

Name:  90.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  39.1 KB
    NICE!!!!! I want to go to go out west so bad!!!
    ---- Bill Vaughn

20. Likes:

RiverfrontRed (08-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I have the advantage of having been in the IT world from 1975 to 2022 and saw a *lot* of change. We weren’t total dummies back then Things were built to last then. My first kitchen fridge is my garage beer fridge while I’ve been through 3 kitchen fridges because boards got fried.

And things that are cutting edge now will eventually become antiquated. Concepts remain the same though. Things just get smaller and faster. Moore’s Law and all that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (08-03-2023)

The Crab Nebula was the first astronomical object recognized as being connected to a supernova explosion. Back in the early 1900's, the analysis of early photographs of the nebula taken several years apart revealed that it was expanding. Tracing the expansion back revealed that the nebula must have become visible on Earth about 900 years before. Historical records revealed that a new star bright enough to be seen in the daytime had been recorded in the same part of the sky by Chinese astronomers on July 4, 1054, and probably also by Japanese observers.

For those who might be interested, at the heart of the Crab Nebula is the Crab Pulsar. It is a neutron star that is about 18 miles across and has a spin rate of a little over 30 times a second. Let this sink in for a second. This neutron star at the heart of the Crab Nebula spins more than 30 times a second!!! By my calculations, the average spin rate of A ML fastball is about 37.6 rps. So this Crab Pulsar is spinning nearly as fast as a ML fast ball. Can you imagine this neutron star's gravitational force?!?!

Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 08-03-2023 at 01:02 PM.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

24. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-03-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

If you missed out on getting to see The Great American Eclipse in 2017, you get a second chance in early April of 2024. This total solar eclipse, being dubbed The Great North American Eclipse, will take place on April 8, 2024 and, for a lot of us, will mean having to drive just a few short hours to get within the band of totality. In 2017, I drove 2.5 hours into Tennessee to get to totality. Even if you have to drive six or seven hours, I would encourage you to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. The sun being 98 or 99% covered is not enough. The difference between a 98-99% darkened sun and 100% blacked out is like the difference between Luke Weaver and Tom Seaver.

I am planning on driving to Indianapolis to find my viewing spot. However, depending on the weather forecast, I may modify my route. I will travel in the direction of sunny skies, even if that takes me to Texas. I'm hoping for a sunny Indy, though. Good luck on getting a room booked somewhere within the band of totality. Most rooms have been booked for years!!!

Not for another twenty years(Aug. 23, 2044) will there be a total solar eclipse whose path will intersect the contiguous U.S. , and then you'll have to go to Montana or North Dakota to see it. The next one after that, March 30, 2052, will cross the state of Georgia.

Don't miss out on seeing The Great North American Eclipse in 2024!!!

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eclipse...al/where-when/
    I'm already planning my trip there. I'll stay with mom in Dayton, which should put us in totality or very near it.

I remember one from when I was in middle school in Dayton in 1984. We all got to leave class to go watch it. Or rather, look away from it as it reached almost complete blockage.

- - - Updated - - -

The Crab Nebula was the first astronomical object recognized as being connected to a supernova explosion. Back in the early 1900's, the analysis of early photographs of the nebula taken several years apart revealed that it was expanding. Tracing the expansion back revealed that the nebula must have become visible on Earth about 900 years before. Historical records revealed that a new star bright enough to be seen in the daytime had been recorded in the same part of the sky by Chinese astronomers on July 4, 1054, and probably also by Japanese observers.

For those who might be interested, at the heart of the Crab Nebula is the Crab Pulsar. It is a neutron star that is about 18 miles across and has a spin rate of a little over 30 times a second. Let this sink in for a second. This neutron star at the heart of the Crab Nebula spins more than 30 times a second!!! By my calculations, the average spin rate of A ML fastball is about 37.6 rps. So this Crab Pulsar is spinning nearly as fast as a ML fast ball. Can you imagine this neutron star's gravitational force?!?!

I wonder if something similar will appear when Betelgeuse blows.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?