Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASTRONOMY Thread

Re: ASTRONOMY Thread

I'm guessing the roads north will be a parking lot that day
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'm guessing the roads north will be a parking lot that day
    Yep, and that's an understatement. Kinda like western ky in 2017. Fortunately, I was able to find a nice spot about 2+ hrs south into TN, rather than head 5 hrs west where people from all over the country were landing. My initial plan for '24 is to head towards Indianapolis.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

The north side of 74 west of Oldenburg is pretty much back roads. Might be a good place to exit, find a field and unfold the lawn chair.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I just wanted to remind everyone of the Blue Supermoon on Aug. 30-31. A Blue Moon is the second full moon of a month. We already had a full moon on Aug 1. This is the only Blue Moon in 2023. Blue Moons occur on average once every 33 months, or about 7 every 19 years.

A Supermoon occurs when the moon is full at the time the moon is at, or near its perigee, or closest approach to Earth. It must be within 90% of its closest approach to be classified as a Supermoon. There are four Supermoons in 2023---one in July, two in August, and one in September. The moon is about 31,200 miles closer to us at perigee than when it's farthest from us. So, a Supermoon that occurs at perigee is about 14% larger and 30% brighter than at apogee. This Supermoon coming up at the end of the month will be the biggest and brightest of the year(this full moon will occur when the moon is closer to us than any other full moon this year).

A Blue Supermoon is a more rare occurrence. They occur, on average , once ever 10 to 20 years, with the time between them being somewhat irregular. The next Blue Supermoon will occur in March of 2037. There will, in fact, be two that year(see, how irregular they are , lol)
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 08-22-2023 at 08:52 PM.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (08-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    ---- Bill Vaughn

9. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-23-2023)

https://spaceflightnow.com/2023/08/2...lunar-landing/

India just successfully landed a probe on the moon becoming the fourth country to do so.

11. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (08-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    https://spaceflightnow.com/2023/08/2...lunar-landing/

India just successfully landed a probe on the moon becoming the fourth country to do so.
    They did what the Russians failed at:

Russia’s Luna-25 spacecraft crashes into the moon, ending its bid to reach the lunar south pole
    https://apnews.com/article/russia-sp...01cc7522074323

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Maybe it's me, but when it comes to space exploration, I'm not sure it's productive when we divide achievements or failures by the current, arbitrarily drawn political borders. Whether a probe succeeds or fails, IMO, that is a success or failure by all of humankind.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Maybe it's me, but when it comes to space exploration, I'm not sure it's productive when we divide achievements or failures by the current, arbitrarily drawn political borders. Whether a probe succeeds or fails, IMO, that is a success or failure by all of humankind.
    I think we should report on all space exploration stories, the successful ones as well as the failures. If we do that then we don't get into political borders

Well said. I think Mr Sagan would concur.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

16. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-24-2023)

Agreed. Although another part of me wonders if the competitive aspect of it were removed, would they all just lay in bed all day instead? If the US hadn't created a boogeyman with Russia, would they have ever even made it to the moon? Would they have even tried to?

People are strange.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

I think it's proper to mention the countries that succeed or fail in these endeavors. I'm unclear what the issue is here. What's the example of dividing achievements or failures by the current, arbitrarily drawn political borders? I'm unclear what that referred to

The skies have cleared here in SEKY and the moon is gorgeous. Closest the moon will be to the earth this year. Head outside and check out the big, beautiful Blue Supermoon !!!
    ---- Bill Vaughn

There's a comet that comes around once every 400 years in the NE sky at about 10 degrees 90 minutes before sunrise. You might need binoculars to find it, though you may not need them to see it. It will be there as it heads towards the Sun for the rest of this week and most of next week. It passes within 78,000 miles from Earth.

The comet itself is about 1/2 of a mile in Diameter.

I'm just relaying the information that I read. Have not checked their story.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?