Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Check-out

Re: Self Check-out

Last time the wife and I were at Sam's it was so packed that I finally used the scan and go app thing for the first time. Biggest issue was me figuring out how to hold the product to my phone to get it to read the bar code but the rest was a breeze.

What other stores use this type of app?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I use self check pretty much always and I'm one of those slow checkers.
    I don't care, and if someone wants to get honked off that I'm slow, they should focus on the corporate decision makers who feel like paying for labor is not worth the value of personal interactions with actual people.
    Having said that, I don't mind the convenience of self check one bit. It's just that it's actually more difficult when one has a full cart.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

westofyou (08-08-2023)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    Krogers has begun to convert to self check-out only. How many here prefer to use self check-out? Personally, I prefer it. It is easier to catch a scanning error when you do the scanning as opposed to a cashier who is expected to scan 28+ items a minute. You can also bag the items properly. It is not much more work than taking items out of the cart and putting them on the conveyor belt-I am very OCD about organizing items on the belt-heavy items first, fragile items last, frozen and multiple items stacked together. Most of the time I purchase less than 12 items that fit on the security scale. I do wonder how security works if you are purchasing a cart full that won't fit on the scale. Also how much do they really save in labor since they have security watching monitors to make sure you do not put in the code for potatoes when you are buying mushrooms or "forgetting" to scan the 40lb bag of dog food on the bottom of the cart.
    ****************Crime against humanity alert************

For the love of all that is sacred, it is "Kroger."

It is not plural, it is not possessive.

The children thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    ****************Crime against humanity alert************

For the love of all that is sacred, it is "Kroger."

It is not plural, it is not possessive.

The children thank you.
    People do this all the time here in Michigan, Krogers, Meijers, et al, it drives me nuts (which isn't a long drive )

7. Likes:

westofyou (08-10-2023)

Self check means less innocuous chit-chat, especially with Creepy James the fat checker who is getting a mail-order bride from Thailand and loves Oregon Ducks football.

Well worth the hassle for me

9. Likes:

757690 (08-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Self check means less innocuous chit-chat, especially with Creepy James the fat checker who is getting a mail-order bride from Thailand and loves Oregon Ducks football.

Well worth the hassle for me
    Haha, while I laughed at this, I actually don't mind the mindless chit chat with a cashier. I read an article recently expressing the health benefits of the casual relationships and small-talk conversations you have at your coffee shop, hardware store, community center, etc.

Where the cashiers cross the line for me is when they start asking about what you're up to this weekend or what plans you have for that evening. I notice this at my local Trader Joe's a lot, so it must be part of their training.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

11. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Haha, while I laughed at this, I actually don't mind the mindless chit chat with a cashier. I read an article recently expressing the health benefits of the casual relationships and small-talk conversations you have at your coffee shop, hardware store, community center, etc.

Where the cashiers cross the line for me is when they start asking about what you're up to this weekend or what plans you have for that evening. I notice this at my local Trader Joe's a lot, so it must be part of their training.
    I use HEB here in Austin, the biggest chain in Texas with the reputation of being customer friendly as opposed to Walmart. The manager's office is just across from the check-out lanes and they have a paper posted outside the door with all the cashiers' first names and how many items they averaged scan per minute. Those that scanned 28+ items names are in green, then there is a line and those who were slower names are in red with a notation they need improvement (or else?). They are also graded on how fast they enter the code for produce. So, it leaves little time for idle chit-chat if they want to keep their job or be demoted to bagging.

I do the small talk, but man... James?

Pass

- - - Updated - - -

I use HEB here in Austin, the biggest chain in Texas with the reputation of being customer friendly as opposed to Walmart. The manager's office is just across from the check-out lanes and they have a paper posted outside the door with all the cashiers' first names and how many items they averaged scan per minute. Those that scanned 28+ items names are in green, then there is a line and those who were slower names are in red with a notation they need improvement (or else?). They are also graded on how fast they enter the code for produce. So, it leaves little time for idle chit-chat if they want to keep their job or be demoted to bagging.

Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    People do this all the time here in Michigan, Krogers, Meijers, et al, it drives me nuts (which isn't a long drive )
    How about Wal-Mart's. I used to hear that a lot in Eastern Kentucky.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I often shop late and the incident that prompted me to start self-checking was a few years ago around midnight when I was lined up in the one open checkout lane at Walmart with my three little items. After about ten minutes in line I get up to the front and start placing my items on the conveyer for the pimply-faced teen girl to start scanning. Instead, she pulls out her phone and starts texting for a full THREE MINUTES , probably to her girlfriend , about the cute boy that she just checked out in front of me and was clearly enamored with. I just stood and stared at her for those three long minutes. Fifteen minutes in line for three items at midnight and having to get up in seven hours for work. I have mostly self-checked ever since.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

I self check-out unless:

1. There is a wide-open lane or
    2. I have a bunch of coupons I want to use (and only mess with coupons when they are significant).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This where I’m at. I like the little social encounters with a cashier. We’ve gotten to the point where the long-time cashiers recognize us and we have a little 30 second chat. I’m rarely in that huge of a hurry (my kids left home a long time ago). I made sure through the pandemic to tell them and the baggers how much I appreciate them. I’ve kept that up. I like the touchstone of the chit-chat. Todays society can be very anonymous with click list and all that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

18. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    How about Wal-Mart's. I used to hear that a lot in Eastern Kentucky.
    So did your mother shop at(JC) Penny, (Montgomery) Ward or Pennys/Wards? As a kid we always referred to it as Monkey Wards. Apparently Joe Burrow made a TV ad for Kroger and added the S the second time he mentioned the name.
    Last edited by jimbroznan; 08-11-2023 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    This where I’m at. I like the little social encounters with a cashier. We’ve gotten to the point where the long-time cashiers recognize us and we have a little 30 second chat. I’m rarely in that huge of a hurry (my kids left home a long time ago). I made sure through the pandemic to tell them and the baggers how much I appreciate them. I’ve kept that up. I like the touchstone of the chit-chat. Todays society can be very anonymous with click list and all that.
    I predict it will continue to become more and more impersonal. Can you imagine the year 2525? (Sorry, had to give Zager & Evans a plug)
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

So did your mother shop at(JC) Penny, (Montgomery) Ward or Pennys/Wards? As a kid we always referred to it as Monkey Wards. Apparently Joe Burrow made a TV ad for Kroger and added the S the second time he mentioned the name.
    Definitely Montgomery Wards and Pennys . lol
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Turn Off Ads?