Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The classic band you can't stand the most

Re: The classic band you can't stand the most

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I liked U2 back when, but I feel like their stuff isn’t aging all that well. Of course it’s quite possible they would say the same about me.
    That’s how I feel, whenever a U2 song comes on the radio I groan turn the channel. It’s just boring music.

Also, I will never forgive them for putting their new horrendous album on my iPhone without asking me.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

redsfanmia (08-29-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s how I feel, whenever a U2 song comes on the radio I groan turn the channel. It’s just boring music.

Also, I will never forgive them for putting their new horrendous album on my iPhone without asking me.
    They really had a tremendous 10-12 year run. They simply didn’t know when to hang it up. It happens.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

5. Likes:

RichRed (08-22-2023)

A different slant to this, but my ex exclusively listened to Styx, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Kenny Rogers, and John Denver. Did a road trip with her family, in a large van. They had an 8-track, and listened strictly to those 5. Sheer torture. I can once again listen to John Denver 35 years later. But not the others!

7. Likes:

M2 (08-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    A different slant to this, but my ex exclusively listened to Styx, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Kenny Rogers, and John Denver. Did a road trip with her family, in a large van. They had an 8-track, and listened strictly to those 5. Sheer torture. I can once again listen to John Denver 35 years later. But not the others!
    Aye, Calypso, the places you've been to
    The things that you've shown us
    The stories you tell

My wife names many of her saddle-making essential tools. The Dyson lamp I bought her is Calypso. And that is telling you she's a John Denver fan without having to state that outright.

10. Likes:

RichRed (08-22-2023),westofyou (08-22-2023)

JOURNEY.

Steve Perry always looked like he needed a shower. And his voice gave me a headache. And the lyrics were like word salad from a third grader.

- - - Updated - - -

That alone explains the "ex"
    Where we gonna go?

12. Likes:

TRF (08-22-2023),westofyou (08-22-2023)

My wife names many of her saddle-making essential tools. The Dyson lamp I bought her is Calypso. And that is telling you she's a John Denver fan without having to state that outright.
    I love that!

U2

Sunday Bloody Sunday is a great song, though.

Also, don’t think they count as a classic band, but as a jam band fan, I think Widespread Panic is garbage.
    WP is terrible.

And I don't get all the love for Goose either
    School's out. What did you expect?

I have a soft spot for U2 because I was listening to them as a young adult. I hear Walk Away now and I'm 16.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I can get that, the Beatles are like Babe Ruth or Bobby Orr, they changed the game and if you were never aware of what it was like prior then maybe the impact they had will never resonate with you. I absolutely love them and think that they're the most important rock band ever
    I don't know the age of those on here that don't like the Beatles, or say they were over-rated; but all I can say is "You had to be there".

If it wasn't for the Beatles, a lot of these classic bands may not have existed.

My *hit List ....

Genesis (post-Gabriel, the later version when Collins made them a pop band)
    The Police (If I hear Roxanne on the car radio I will leave the road and start taking out livestock)
    Bee Gees ( I laughed when they did the Sgt Pepper movie and said they'd be remembered for Pepper more then the Beatles)
    Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That was not as good as the Voodoo Lounge tour. I'm a big Stones fan, especially the heroin years 68-75
    Their peak. You can't beat the late 60s - early 70s material with Mick Taylor.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-29-2023 at 09:38 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Outside of Derek and the Dominoes, pretty much everything Eric Clapton has done has bored me to tears.
    Phenom album. After the mid-70s Eric got old.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I'm sure you're right about that. I used to despise Bluegrass until I gave it a listen. Definitely changed my perception
    Goose Creek Symphony

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't know the age of those on here that don't like the Beatles, or say they were over-rated; but all I can say is "You had to be there".
    No, I was there too, and it depends on your musical background. To me, their music is simplistic and has a pop feel. At the same time they were big, guys like Smokey Robinson were killing it, but because of the times (a lot of black performers were still banned in many venues), they couldn't get traction.

Someone mentioned the Revolver album, and I gave it an honest listen, but Yellow Submarine, really? At the same time they were releasing that, Jimi was getting ready to release his first album, and Clapton, Page, Beck, etc were working on cutting edge stuff.

Saw Clapton a couple years ago on a tour with Doyle Bramhall, and the guy can still put on an amazing show and he can flat out play. It's a perfect example that a person can play forever as long as they don't stop. If you stop and lose that muscle memory, you're done.

20. Likes:

GAC (08-29-2023)

Clapton is a great guitarist, with that said, his song catalog is lacking a bit IMHO
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

westofyou (08-29-2023)

Clapton is a great guitarist, with that said, his song catalog is lacking a bit IMHO
    Truth.

It doesn't help that he's apparently a pretty horrid person. (While I don't need my musical heroes to be wonderful human beings or crystal clean, it does tend to flavor my enjoyment of said music if one of them reveals him or herself as a raging racist, child abuser, or rapist. Oddly, I don't seem to care about drugs all that much.)

Turn Off Ads?