Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Ohio State Buckeyes Football

Re: 2023 Ohio State Buckeyes Football

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I took the Hoosiers and the 29 points.
    Good bet. A 4 TD spread away on game one was pretty high, although in retrospect when I first saw that spread, it didn't surprise me.

Also, for those of you from BIG schools, Bloomington is a good place to visit and see your team win. The school has put millions of donor dollars (who these people are, with their eternal optimism, I don't know) into the stadium and there are plenty of places to park your RVs.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Obviously not a good game, whether it play calling or execution you can’t go 2/12 on 3rd down and have a good performance. Most of those were shorter on schedule type third downs too.

I didn’t mind McCord. You could see him starting to figure stuff out a bit and I thought he got better as the game went. He can’t play at that level all season, but I saw enough in game 1 for him to keep growing. I thought he made pretty good decisions and kinda game managed it, which again game 1 that’s fine. But whether it’s him deciding or the play just happening absolutely have to have more attempts to Marv and Embuka. I’m sure he’s looking at it where that was where the help was and to find guys like Stover and Fleming which he did, but that’s also exactly what the defense wants you to do.

OL play was my biggest concern. Again week 1 with 3 new starters and line play can evolve a lot fairly quickly, but Simmons was pretty awful.

It was good the defense looked awesome. Indiana is very likely a bad offensive team, but they were just playing much faster than they have recently. Would have been nice if Indiana would have actually shown any interest in trying to win the game instead of just not being blown out to get a better read on some other components of the defense, but I was very encouraged but what we did see.

We’ve had a couple of these big ten road openers where we looked like butt and ultimately had a good enough season so hopefully it was a good get out the kinks type game with a couple more opportunities coming up to figure stuff out before ND.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-03-2023)

It’s always tricky to parse out how much is a result of blocking/playcalling/small sample and how much is on the running back but the ground game looked better whenever anybody other than Henderson carried the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It’s always tricky to parse out how much is a result of blocking/playcalling/small sample and how much is on the running back but the ground game looked better whenever anybody other than Henderson carried the ball.
    I had that same thought. Henderson has the jets and is always a threat to go the distance, but if he gets just breathed on, he goes down. Trayanum and Williams can run through incidental contact much better.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Yep, I had exact same thought. If I’m in charge he is third string behind Williams and Trayanum. He could also be a third down back.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So why does Devin Brown wear #33 as a QB?
    It's a Sammy Baugh tribute

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Obviously not a good game, whether it play calling or execution you can’t go 2/12 on 3rd down and have a good performance. Most of those were shorter on schedule type third downs too.

I didn’t mind McCord. You could see him starting to figure stuff out a bit and I thought he got better as the game went. He can’t play at that level all season, but I saw enough in game 1 for him to keep growing. I thought he made pretty good decisions and kinda game managed it, which again game 1 that’s fine. But whether it’s him deciding or the play just happening absolutely have to have more attempts to Marv and Embuka. I’m sure he’s looking at it where that was where the help was and to find guys like Stover and Fleming which he did, but that’s also exactly what the defense wants you to do.

OL play was my biggest concern. Again week 1 with 3 new starters and line play can evolve a lot fairly quickly, but Simmons was pretty awful.

It was good the defense looked awesome. Indiana is very likely a bad offensive team, but they were just playing much faster than they have recently. Would have been nice if Indiana would have actually shown any interest in trying to win the game instead of just not being blown out to get a better read on some other components of the defense, but I was very encouraged but what we did see.

We’ve had a couple of these big ten road openers where we looked like butt and ultimately had a good enough season so hopefully it was a good get out the kinks type game with a couple more opportunities coming up to figure stuff out before ND.
    OLine looked pretty poor, but you don't know if that is a performance or communication issue. They looked less bad in the 2nd half which was promising. I think Simmons may be the biggest question mark for the entire season.

OSU is the B1G cash cow and it seems like they tend to get these early season conference openers on the road. Happened at IU a few years ago on a Thursday night, Minnesota two years back, and this season. Opening a new starter on the road at a conference opponent is tough and its going to look ugly. It may look a little disjoined over the next two games, but they have the ability to work their kinks out.

As for Michigan winning by 40, they beat Eastern Carolina by pretty much the same margin. Not sure the week 1 overreactions are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    OLine looked pretty poor, but you don't know if that is a performance or communication issue. They looked less bad in the 2nd half which was promising. I think Simmons may be the biggest question mark for the entire season.

OSU is the B1G cash cow and it seems like they tend to get these early season conference openers on the road. Happened at IU a few years ago on a Thursday night, Minnesota two years back, and this season. Opening a new starter on the road at a conference opponent is tough and its going to look ugly. It may look a little disjoined over the next two games, but they have the ability to work their kinks out.

As for Michigan winning by 40, they beat Eastern Carolina by pretty much the same margin. Not sure the week 1 overreactions are worth it.
    Yeah the line is the big thing. Simmons was bad and Jackson actually graded out lower. Three new starters is a lot and they have some time to get better. They can still beat ND without excellent line play, but they can’t win the against the back half of the schedule if it doesn’t get a lot better.

I’m not worried about the red zone and third down execution stuff that will get better.

Yeah the line is the big thing. Simmons was bad and Jackson actually graded out lower. Three new starters is a lot and they have some time to get better. They can still beat ND without excellent line play, but they can’t win the against the back half of the schedule if it doesn’t get a lot better.

I’m not worried about the red zone and third down execution stuff that will get better.
    I guess here is where I am at. McCord makes the right read (and its a fairly easy one) he walks into the endzone. Also the MHJ TD should have counted (I thought in college you can be shoved out of bounds and come back in when you establish being in bounds again.) And you should expect Tate to catch that ball down by the goaline right before half (also could have been a targeting call.) All of a sudden three plays you expect an offense like OSU is going to make and that adds 12 more points. I think the expectation should have been something more akin to this in their first game. I also don't think you want a team peaking the first day of the season.

Sat was the nature of college football when you are replacing as many guys as OSU did off of last years team. And at the same time, you look at the defense where they returned a ton, and that is exactly what is expected.

I guess here is where I am at. McCord makes the right read (and its a fairly easy one) he walks into the endzone. Also the MHJ TD should have counted (I thought in college you can be shoved out of bounds and come back in when you establish being in bounds again.) And you should expect Tate to catch that ball down by the goaline right before half (also could have been a targeting call.) All of a sudden three plays you expect an offense like OSU is going to make and that adds 12 more points. I think the expectation should have been something more akin to this in their first game. I also don't think you want a team peaking the first day of the season.

Sat was the nature of college football when you are replacing as many guys as OSU did off of last years team. And at the same time, you look at the defense where they returned a ton, and that is exactly what is expected.
    Yeah I agree, there is certainly a version of that game where Buckeye fans are feeling pretty good. I thought the Marv penalty was stupid too. You can’t run for 20 yards out of bounds, but if you get shoved you can run the route. Either way, it was a really nice toss from McCord.

I really didn't understand why that wasn't targeting. The announcers didn't even talk about it. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I really didn't understand why that wasn't targeting. The announcers didn't even talk about it. Bizarre.
    I think they did, I think Danielson said something about how they could buzz down to review it and then they just kinda moved on. It was even weirder after that second play of the game which wasn’t even close to targeting that they did review.

Not that it mattered but I thought the reds in general were horrendous.

The difference was Michigan wasn't trying, Ohio State was.

The Buckeyes just couldn't get much going at all, was definitely alarming to me. At points McCord looked like he was about to start crying on the field. I am not sold on him at all. Even more alarming is it seems Day is terrified of letting Brown throw the ball.

Day very famously said the reason he takes a top QB recruit every year is because "what if you are wrong?" I am starting to think he was wrong 2 years in a row. Let's pray they are not wrong about Kleinholz and Noland.

- - - Updated - - -

the reds in general were horrendous.
    and have been since the mid 90s!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The difference was Michigan wasn't trying, Ohio State was.

The Buckeyes just couldn't get much going at all, was definitely alarming to me. At points McCord looked like he was about to start crying on the field. I am not sold on him at all. Even more alarming is it seems Day is terrified of letting Brown throw the ball.

Day very famously said the reason he takes a top QB recruit every year is because "what if you are wrong?" I am starting to think he was wrong 2 years in a row. Let's pray they are not wrong about Kleinholz and Noland.

- - - Updated - - -

and have been since the mid 90s!
    Stroud and Fields all had similar debuts. I have little to no fear in the QB position on this team.

Stroud and Fields all had similar debuts. I have little to no fear in the QB position on this team.
    People keep saying that about Fields. He had 5 TDs (4 throwing 1 running) in that first game against FAU on 18-25 passing. Don't get where people are getting that.

Stroud threw for 300 yards and 4 TDs 1 INT (we also found out after the fact he was playing hurt)

McCord had 0 TDs and an INT. And, it's McCord's third year in the program.

Turn Off Ads?