Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: 9-1-23 Reds vs Cubs 1:10 PM Game 1

Re: 9-1-23 Reds vs Cubs 1:10 PM Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    We've got a manager who isn't playing the guys that he does have available, that would help to bring wins. And he does a terrible job of placing them in the batting order. I don't think we can pin all of this on being young. It's beginning to sound a lot like Calipari and his awful coaching and game preparation.

No doubt they're young, but this could have been handled better. That's on the manager.
    I think it could be handled differently, for sure, but I'm not convinced it makes all that much of a difference at the end of the day. The futility/inconsistency on offense goes well beyond flipping some guys in the order, IMO.

They are burnt out. They have 2 healthy guys that I would consider consistent right now, Steer and Friedl. Benson has been striking out like crazy and it doesn't really matter where anyone else bats as you never know what you are going to get out them on a day to day basis. That doesn't mean I don't think Bell should make some changes...shake some stuff up, or whatever. I just don't believe their offense problems can be fixed this season.
    So, I'm not too disgusted or dismayed by the slide.

But I have generally felt this way since June....that they don't yet have the mettle needed to go up against even the Cubs and Brewers roster, much less the Braves and Dodgers, in the fall. I don't think any coach can fix that...in spite of there being better options for the job.

ETA: Stephenson has been hitting really well as of late too

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds197576 View Post
    As usual, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Griffey was brought up in August of 1973 because of the Bobby Tolan saga and started almost each game. Merv Rettenmund wasn't even on the team in 1973. Griffey spent much of 1974 at Indianapolis because of the Reds depth in the outfield. In 1975 Griffey was the starting right fielder and never platooned with anyone. Rettenmund only got 44 starts in 1975 (21 in left field) and was moved after the season because Griffey, Foster and Geronimo were the starters.
    As usual you're wrong. In 1975 Griffey platooned with Rettenmund in RF yes RF several times in 1975.
    Don't believe me I suggest checking boxscores. Oh and the opponent was starting a LHP when Rettenmund was in the lineup and Griffey was planted on the bench.
    Griffey played 132 games in 75. He didn't start In all 132 played either.
    Many times he entered the game as a PH when the LHP left the game

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    As usual you're wrong. In 1975 Griffey platooned with Rettenmund in RF yes RF several times in 1975.
    Don't believe me I suggest checking boxscores. Oh and the opponent was starting a LHP when Rettenmund was in the lineup and Griffey was planted on the bench.
    Griffey played 132 games in 75. He didn't start In all 132 played either.
    Many times he entered the game as a PH when the LHP left the game
    You really need help. Griffey never platooned with anyone. Ever. I realize you're not capable of rational thinking, but in the 1975 NLCS, the Pirates had this big left-handed pitcher named John Candelaria. He pitched in Game 3, great start, too. And Griffey, yes, Griffey started that game. Yes, against a lefty. What happened to your platoon? Oh, yes, Marvelous Merv got to pinch hit for the pitcher later in the game. Not what I would call a platoon, huh? Oh, yes, and Griffey started the winning rally with a bunt single in the 10th inning. And, yes, Sparky Anderson strategically rested his starters much of the second half in 1975 because of the huge lead the Reds held over the Dodgers. No one was platooned.
    “What are you looking at? You're laborers; you should be laboring. That's what you get for not having an education.” Dr. Jerry Hathaway in Real Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Reds197576 View Post
    You really need help. Griffey never platooned with anyone. Ever. I realize you're not capable of rational thinking, but in the 1975 NLCS, the Pirates had this big left-handed pitcher named John Candelaria. He pitched in Game 3, great start, too. And Griffey, yes, Griffey started that game. Yes, against a lefty. What happened to your platoon? Oh, yes, Marvelous Merv got to pinch hit for the pitcher later in the game. Not what I would call a platoon, huh? Oh, yes, and Griffey started the winning rally with a bunt single in the 10th inning. And, yes, Sparky Anderson strategically rested his starters much of the second half in 1975 because of the huge lead the Reds held over the Dodgers. No one was platooned.
    I'm talking regular season. CHECK INDIVDUAL BOX SCORES PROOF IS RIGHT ON LINE. I ALSO WATCHED EVERY TELEVISED GAME AND LISTENED TO RADIO IN OTHERS YOU'RE WRONG. IM NOT STUPID THE GREAT 8 STARTED EVERY SINGLE POSTSEASON GAME 75 76
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 09-01-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Turn Off Ads?