Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Other Steelers Fans On Here?

Re: Any Other Steelers Fans On Here?

I wore my Ugly Steelers Christmas sweater to a luncheon today. A person was going to sit by me but decided not to since I had that sweater on. All in good fun. Everyone got a good laugh out of it.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-13-2023),RiverfrontRed (12-14-2023),Sea Ray (12-12-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Go Colts!

With loss, Steelers go from 6th seed to 11th seed.

Colts looked very good.

6. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-17-2023)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    With loss, Steelers go from 6th seed to 11th seed.

Colts looked very good.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...raight-defeat/

Next week should be a knockout game for the loser of it. Bengals probably won't get in at 10-7, while the Steelers definitely won't get in at 9-8.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

We are visiting in Lexington, KY. I knew their kids would probably have the living room TV watching cartoons (no problem).

I brought my own portable tv using a portable over the air antenna to watch this game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5219.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	20713
    Last edited by goreds2; 12-23-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Grammar

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-24-2023),redhawkfish (12-23-2023),Revering4Blue (12-23-2023),SteelSD (12-23-2023)

Saw an idea that honestly doesn't sound too bad if you are a Steelers fan:

Bring in Eric Bienemy in the off-season as OC (assuming Tomlin isn't traded). Ron Rivera is going to be fired in DC which means Bienemy would be available.

Then trade for Justin Fields. I could see Fields as a QB that Bienemy would get the most out of.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Step daughter got me these pajama pants for Christmas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5223.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	20719

13. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-25-2023),Revering4Blue (12-25-2023),SteelSD (12-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Saw an idea that honestly doesn't sound too bad if you are a Steelers fan:

Bring in Eric Bienemy in the off-season as OC (assuming Tomlin isn't traded). Ron Rivera is going to be fired in DC which means Bienemy would be available.

Then trade for Justin Fields. I could see Fields as a QB that Bienemy would get the most out of.
    Bienemy might work. But if he becomes available, he might be looking for a head coaching job instead.

As for Fields...first, we've already experienced Kordell Stewart. I hate Fields' throws just as much. When he's not taking off from the pocket early, the majority of his highlight reel is filled with receivers making tremendous catches on 50/50 balls. Second, while his escapability is tantilizing given the poor state of the offensive line, I'd prefer that Pittsburgh put nearly every draft resource into fixing said O-line rather than trying to work around the issue by trading for a guy who leads with his legs. Lastly, Fields has only one more season on his rookie contract. His fifth year extension, if exercised, is probably going to be upwards of 20 to 25 million. As of today, that's just way too much potential future cap space to commit to a guy who's still struggling to complete 60% of his passes.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Bienemy might work. But if he becomes available, he might be looking for a head coaching job instead.

As for Fields...first, we've already experienced Kordell Stewart. I hate Fields' throws just as much. When he's not taking off from the pocket early, the majority of his highlight reel is filled with receivers making tremendous catches on 50/50 balls. Second, while his escapability is tantilizing given the poor state of the offensive line, I'd prefer that Pittsburgh put nearly every draft resource into fixing said O-line rather than trying to work around the issue by trading for a guy who leads with his legs. Lastly, Fields has only one more season on his rookie contract. His fifth year extension, if exercised, is probably going to be upwards of 20 to 25 million. As of today, that's just way too much potential future cap space to commit to a guy who's still struggling to complete 60% of his passes.
    While I agree with your general points here, Kordell Stewart DID lead the team to the AFC championship twice - one, a spygate game - during a period of NFL history with no RPOs and Zone Reads. Heíd likely be a star today.

Having said that, I donít understand the Kenny Pickett hate by some, with the Bubby Brister comparisons, frankly, with all due respect, lame. IMHO, thatís his floor. Pickettís ceiling: What the Steelers thought they were getting from the late David Woodley. If Pickett can approximate the production from THE DOLPHINS VERSION of Woodley, the Steelers have done well.

In short, letís see what Pickett can do with a REAL OC, Bienemy or otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I think Fields would only work if Bienemy was coaching him. It's a major risk but one that could have a high payoff.

If Tomlin were traded (don't see that happening) Bienemy could be a possibility as the head coach too.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    While I agree with your general points here, Kordell Stewart DID lead the team to the AFC championship twice - one, a spygate game - during a period of NFL history with no RPOs and Zone Reads. Heíd likely be a star today.

Having said that, I donít understand the Kenny Pickett hate by some, with the Bubby Brister comparisons, frankly, with all due respect, lame. IMHO, thatís his floor. Pickettís ceiling: What the Steelers thought they were getting from the late David Woodley. If Pickett can approximate the production from THE DOLPHINS VERSION of Woodley, the Steelers have done well.

In short, letís see what Pickett can do with a REAL OC, Bienemy or otherwise.

I think an accurate comparison for Pickett is Chad Pennington.

Both were the only QBs taken in the first round of their draft class and were in a weak QB class. What's ironic is Brady was in the same class as Pennington and Brock Purdy was in the same class as Pickett (Not comparing Purdy to Brady by any means but it is similar)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think an accurate comparison for Pickett is Chad Pennington.

Both were the only QBs taken in the first round of their draft class and were in a weak QB class. What's ironic is Brady was in the same class as Pennington and Brock Purdy was in the same class as Pickett (Not comparing Purdy to Brady by any means but it is similar)

Thatís definitely a fair comparison. And the 2002 version of Pennington may well be enough to get the Steelers where they want to go given their defense.

I simply was utilizing Woodley within the confines of a comparison of former Steelers QBs - production wise, not necessarily playing styles, though itís not out of the question for Pickett to prove as mobile as Woodley if given the freedom, especially when it comes to throwing on the run. While Woodley largely stunk it up as a Steeler, he was a damn good QB as a Dolphin.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    While I agree with your general points here, Kordell Stewart DID lead the team to the AFC championship twice - one, a spygate game - during a period of NFL history with no RPOs and Zone Reads. He’d likely be a star today.

Having said that, I don’t understand the Kenny Pickett hate by some, with the Bubby Brister comparisons, frankly, with all due respect, lame. IMHO, that’s his floor. Pickett’s ceiling: What the Steelers thought they were getting from the late David Woodley. If Pickett can approximate the production from THE DOLPHINS VERSION of Woodley, the Steelers have done well.

In short, let’s see what Pickett can do with a REAL OC, Bienemy or otherwise.
    I have a hard time questioning your memory, Rev. It's like an elephant's. That being said, I think we have different recollections regarding the quality of Stewart's play. What I remember is Stewart more accompanying the defense to those AFC championships (especially 2001) than leading them there. He was basically entrusted to not screw things up, but he did. Twice. I honestly believe that had Stewart accepted a primary WR role, while acting as a gadget guy (ala Antwaan Randle El) or played in the wildcat (today), he would have been a lot more useful.

I completely agree on Pickett. Right now, the Steelers have enough needs that they need to stay the course and evaluate what they have while he's cheap. Hire a creative OC. Build the O-line. Find some non-fill-in talent at ILB and the non-Joey Porter Jr. CB slots.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Any Other Steelers Fans On Here?

I have a hard time questioning your memory, Rev. It's like an elephant's. That being said, I think we have different recollections regarding the quality of Stewart's play. What I remember is Stewart more accompanying the defense to those AFC championships (especially 2001) than leading them there. He was basically entrusted to not screw things up, but he did. Twice. I honestly believe that had Stewart accepted a primary WR role, while acting as a gadget guy (ala Antwaan Randle El) or played in the wildcat (today), he would have been a lot more useful.

I completely agree on Pickett. Right now, the Steelers have enough needs that they need to stay the course and evaluate what they have while he's cheap. Hire a creative OC. Build the O-line. Find some non-fill-in talent at ILB and the non-Joey Porter Jr. CB slots.
    Antwaan Randle El is another one who, IMO, would have been playing QB In todayís NFL. In fact, Mike Holmgren was quoted as saying he thought highly of him as an NFL QB prospect pre 2002 draft. He was a dynamic QB in college and not just with his feet.

As for Stewart, I view him in much higher regard than the following post-Bradshaw/pre-Big Ben Steelers QBs. In reverse chronological order:

Tommy Maddux - Several Steelers fans at the time - not here - viewed him as the then-long term answer. They were as wrong as the many Redzoners who chose to die on the ĎJose Peraza will figure it outí hill.

Neal OíDonnell - With all due respect, I donít understand the large faction of Steelers nation who continue to criticize Kordell, yet continue to give NOíD a free pass for wetting the bed on the largest stage. Talk about entrusting someone not to screw up, but he did big time.

To wit: They lost the Ď94 AFC championship at home to arguably the worst Super Bowl representatives of all time - the Ď94 Chargers and were within a dropped Quinten Coryatt interception of missing the Ď96 Super Bowl altogether. Now, if the argument is that neither Kordell nor NOíD were anything to write home about, I will buy it but still donít understand giving NOíD a free pass.

Cliff Stoubt - Granted the Ď83 Steelers were devoid of WRs with Stallworth sidelined for much of the regular season and Jim Smith - who would have undoubtedly helped immensely- jumping to the USFL to play as Cliff Stoubtís teammate in Birmingham, but Stoubt basically sucked as a Steeler. While that season amounted to arguably the best coaching job of Chuck Nollís career, I still question why he didnít turn to Mark Malone late in that season when the team was struggling.

Having said all of that, I still agree with you that turning to Justin Fields at this point isnít likely to move the needle. Then again, nearly 40 years later - as alluded to - I am still wondering why David Woodley didnít work out as a Steeler and why they failed to trade up into the late first round in Ď83 to land Marino, so what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 12-25-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Turn Off Ads?