Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: End-of-Season Prospect Lists?

Re: End-of-Season Prospect Lists?

I am also down on Lyon after seeing him face big league talent.

I really hope they move him to the bullpen and see if it plays up in 1-2 inning stints.

This is why grabbing a bonafide SP will boost the rotation and the bullpen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What do we know aout Bonnin's readiness? If he's healthy, I'd say he's one of the three most likely to be taken on that list. (with Hinds and Roa)
    It was written somewhere before the season started, I can't remember where, that Bonnin's injury is serious and career threatening. I believe it's a shoulder issue. Even when pitching, he's been less than durable. Bullpen is probably his best shot, if he can get pitching again.

4. Likes:

HokieRed (09-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I am also down on Lyon after seeing him face big league talent.

I really hope they move him to the bullpen and see if it plays up in 1-2 inning stints.

This is why grabbing a bonafide SP will boost the rotation and the bullpen.
    Richardson has always been a BP guy to me. They should have started the conversion in the second half of this year. Phillips, Lowder, and Petty is about as good a 1-3 in SP prospects as I can remember the Reds having.

6. Likes:

Marc D (09-23-2023)

One of the reasons Bonnin would be chosen is because of his injuries. If he's ineffective, they can hide him a bit with a AAA injury stint without anyone batting much of an eye.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (09-22-2023)

I could see someone grabbing Roa and Hinds in the Rule 5 draft.

- - - Updated - - -

Richardson is too soon removed from having missed a ton of time and doing a ton of rehabilitation.

He needs a full season in the Minors next year as there's a lot of development left in him.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

We brought up a lot of players to the show this year out of desperation who had no business being there. Next year they can spend the time in the minors at the levels they were meant to. Their development chart was thrown out of whack because of the desperate need for players and Ownership's unwillingness to spend a few bucks to prevent this from happening. We may have ruined many of our minor league players careers because we moved them up too soon at different levels when we should have taken care of some of our depth in the off-season with FA Veterans.

Hopefully, it can all be fixed next season and players can play where they should be playing and get the development they should be getting.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We brought up a lot of players to the show this year out of desperation who had no business being there. Next year they can spend the time in the minors at the levels they were meant to. Their development chart was thrown out of whack because of the desperate need for players and Ownership's unwillingness to spend a few bucks to prevent this from happening. We may have ruined many of our minor league players careers because we moved them up too soon at different levels when we should have taken care of some of our depth in the off-season with FA Veterans.

Hopefully, it can all be fixed next season and players can play where they should be playing and get the development they should be getting.
    Who exactly was ruined by being moved up too soon this year? If anything I think this year put the rebuild ahead of schedule and was a great boost for the organization as a whole.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-22-2023),alwaysawarrior (09-28-2023),HokieRed (09-23-2023),lollipopcurve (09-22-2023),Marc D (09-23-2023),Tuff Nut (09-22-2023),WrongVerb (09-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Richardson is too soon removed from having missed a ton of time and doing a ton of rehabilitation.
    This is a feature, not a bug.

He can be sent down (and rested) if hurt/ injured. Teams can (and do) massage that with recently injured players-- especially pitchers.

Roa has had a couple of decent starts here in mid September. Really good starter's repertoire (including a plus changeup he appears to be able to throw for strikes). IMO, he's a guy they have to protect. Give him a spot in the AAA rotation next year, probably alongside Richardson, and see if they can continue to develop as rotation depth. Bullpen can be a nice plan B.

15. Likes:

HokieRed (09-22-2023),RED VAN HOT (09-22-2023)

Nobody takes pitchers in the rule 5 anymore because every team is using the last few spots in the bullpen to shuttle guys back and forth from AAA to cover all the innings.

17. Likes:

Marc D (09-23-2023),mth123 (09-22-2023)

Every player but two that was taken were pitchers.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by krazzy View Post
    Every player but two that was taken were pitchers.
    Swing and a miss on my part. Misread something I thought said most of the players were hitters.

After the Reds win the next three with Greene, Phillips, and Williamson, management should bring Roa to pitch Saturday at St. Louis. He's given up 5 earned in his last 15.2 with 29 K's. He's got something working right now and will be facing the Cardinals sight unseen. I don't think Abbott has enough left in the tank to win again this season (and I say that while liking him a lot).

Turn Off Ads?