Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 9-20-23 Reds vs Twins 12:35 PM

Re: 9-20-23 Reds vs Twins 12:35 PM

The idiot manager does not put this Reds team in the best positions to win games in the late innings.If their were managerial metrics Bell would be the worst graded manager in professional sports.Pitching 3 relievers that have not pitched in a game since last week #1.Not replacing a gimpy Johnathan India at 2nd base late in the game #2.#3 taking out the dominant starter at 92 pitchers through 7ip.Bell has absolutely no feel on managing a game and against good teams he loses
    Last edited by ucnum1; 09-20-2023 at 06:31 PM.

2. Likes:

LiferJim (09-21-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    I wish I had the replay, but I don't. When I watched the play unfold it appeared to me he got their late, but I have been wrong before
    FWIW, Brantley and Thrall said something similar on the broadcast. I interpreted it that they clearly thought Senzel should have got the out.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    I would enjoy a system like Reddit uses. You can upvote and downvote a comment. Posters who have huge amounts of downvotes are usually trolls/agitators who aren’t acting in good faith/adding to the discussion - and they typically eventually get banned from the subreddit.
    That's an interesting approach but I'm not sure that would work, either. There are cliques on message boards just like everywhere else in life. If a certain clique is against you, they'll all downvote your every post out of spite. When I post a criticism about a player or manager and someone calls me a troll for posting said criticism, I can tell you ahead of time the five or six people that are going to "like" that person's criticism of me. I think the best approach is just to ban anyone that criticizes or is condescending to another member in any shape, form or fashion. It's a shame adults have to resort to such things over baseball.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if every poster was as good as Kc61, there wouldn't be these issues. He posts incredibly good baseball insights without ever getting personal or condescending with another member. I look forward to what he has to say. Also, I think Old Fashioned Red is a very passionate Reds fan, whose thoughts I enjoy reading. I hate how she is treated by a handful of posters. Sadly, I think I know why. I really like a lot of the members here and find most of them very respectful. There's just a few who are not so warm and welcoming. But that's the case everywhere in life, isn't it? I'm thankful to the owner of this site to have the opportunity to post here. I don't know if I will be around next year but I've had fun and it's made the games more interesting.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

6. Likes:

mth123 (09-20-2023),OldFashionedRed (09-20-2023),Roy Tucker (09-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    That's an interesting approach but I'm not sure that would work, either. There are cliques on message boards just like everywhere else in life. If a certain clique is against you, they'll all downvote your every post out of spite. When I post a criticism about a player or manager and someone calls me a troll for posting said criticism, I can tell you ahead of time the five or six people that are going to "like" that person's criticism of me. I think the best approach is just to ban anyone that criticizes or is condescending to another member in any shape, form or fashion. It's a shame adults have to resort to such things over baseball.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if every poster was as good as Kc61, there wouldn't be these issues. He posts incredibly good baseball insights without ever getting personal or condescending with another member. I look forward to what he has to say. Also, I think Old Fashioned Red is a very passionate Reds fan, whose thoughts I enjoy reading. I hate how she is treated by a handful of posters. Sadly, I think I know why. I really like a lot of the members here and find most of them very respectful. There's just a few who are not so warm and welcoming. But that's the case everywhere in life, isn't it? I'm thankful to the owner of this site to have the opportunity to post here. I don't know if I will be around next year but I've had fun and it's made the games more interesting.
    Redszone use to have a system of likes and dislikes and, IIRC, it was eliminated for exactly the reasons you discuss in your first paragraph.

8. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (09-21-2023)

They call me "chef"

When you lose one of the 3 remaining games that is being started by an actual starting pitcher and waste their stellar performance to drop to 1.5/2 games out of a wild card spot, your playoff chances seem dim.

10. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (09-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    FWIW, Brantley and Thrall said something similar on the broadcast. I interpreted it that they clearly thought Senzel should have got the out.
    Ok, so my old eyes weren't the only eyes that saw this. lol. The more I have thought about this, I think we should have given CES one more at bat given his recent power surge, which would have been in the 8th inning and then removed him with Senzel in the 9th with Diaz on the mound.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Ok, so my old eyes weren't the only eyes that saw this. lol. The more I have thought about this, I think we should have given CES one more at bat given his recent power surge, which would have been in the 8th inning and then removed him with Senzel in the 9th with Diaz on the mound.
    I see that viewpoint. I have a different philosophy though. Once you have a lead, run prevention seems a more reliable tactic. Even the best hitters fail the vast majority of the time. Senzel got on base and the team didn't get him in. It's much more likely that bringing in the defender helps hold the lead than leaving the bat in the game helps you entend it.

9-20-23 Reds vs Twins 12:35 PM

I see that viewpoint. I have a different philosophy though. Once you have a lead, run prevention seems a more reliable tactic. Even the best hitters fail the vast majority of the time. Senzel got on base and the team didn't get him in. It's much more likely that bringing in the defender helps hold the lead than leaving the bat in the game helps you entend it.
    Yes Senzel did walk, but we know how he normally hits against righties. As far as the other, my math skills are pretty good, but I can't for the life of me come up with a formula for that. lol jk

Honestly, though, I do get where you’re coming from
    Last edited by LiferJim; 09-20-2023 at 07:02 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Bad loss

Need a 5-3 to finish and make the playoffs
    Last edited by Ironman92; 09-20-2023 at 07:18 PM.

On the flip side even the worst fielders make almost every play

Manager’s feel is the call

16. Likes:

mth123 (09-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    On the flip side even the worst fielders make almost every play

Manager’s feel is the call
    But from a fielding percentage, that's true. Better fielders take away the double down the line that the lesser fielder wouldn't and it wouldn't show up in their fielding percentage.

I'm going to point out something that may or may not have mattered. They pulled CES in the top of the 8th inning for Senzel, when CES had clobbered a homer earlier. One argument for that move was Bell thought they were gonna bring in a left hander. Well they didn't and that premature move took one of our best hitters out of the lineup. Couldn't you just have pinch hit for him if they did bring in the lefty, not assume there bringing one in? As far as defensively, is Senzel really that much better than CES? I'm asking because honestly I don't know. What I did notice is in that dreadful 9th inning, the Twins had a double steal and Maile threw to third to Senzel, who appeared to get to the bag way late. As I watched that play it looked to me like he would have been out had our third baseman got to the bag before the throw got there. Had that play been made, the next guy struck out and inning is over with a 3-3 tie.

Oh well, 6-2 may or may not get us in. Go Reds!!!
    I saw the same thing regarding Senzel and the tag.

I think a bigger factor than what smidge Senzel was late to the bag was the fact that the throw was so high, and you can understand it being high as Maile, earlier in the same inning, was burned by a throw a foot low that caused the runner to be safe, and also was some of the cause for the error for it getting into CF which allowed the tying run to get to 3B with no out.

I think the Reds need to win 7 of the last 8 games to get in avoiding a tie breaker.

Mahle’s throw to second has to be knocked down. You can’t let the ball go into CF and the game tying run go to third with no out. India is a liability at the plate and on defense. He’s hitting like .114 in September and he’s batting leadoff in must win games. He’s been the Reds most non-clutch hitter in 2023.

Senzel was late getting to the bag on the double steal. The throw beat him. Had he been there, the runner would’ve likely been toast.

I don’t watch too many press conferences, but today’s was alarming and one of the many reasons I’m not a David Bell fan. He seemed more content with “playing meaningful games this time of year” than actually winning them. There’s no sense of urgency or accountability from Bell. For a team with the longest playoff series drought in baseball, that rubs me the wrong way.

22. Likes:

LiferJim (09-20-2023),OldFashionedRed (09-20-2023)

Turn Off Ads?