Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 9-20-23 Reds vs Twins 12:35 PM

Re: 9-20-23 Reds vs Twins 12:35 PM

Had great seats, and thoroughly enjoyed the game ... until the 8th inning. Diaz looked terrible from the get-go. Couldn't find the plate. Some really poor defense in this game. Castro gets up there, and the first two pitches he shows bunt. Our defense makes no adjustments. Next pitch he lays a perfect bunt own between pitcher and 1B for a hit (later scores). Some questionable throws from catcher Maile. India's defense at 2B is still shaky. Votto looked terrible at the plate. Lost, somewhat hesitant.

Left the stadium really disappointed at this one.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-21-2023),cumberlandreds (09-21-2023),NebraskaRed (09-21-2023),redsfan9988 (09-21-2023),Roy Tucker (09-22-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    We have to learn that just because someone disagrees with us it doesn't mean they are picking on us or that they hate us.
    I certainly think that's a fair statement and I agree with it. I also think that you can disagree with someone AND not like them. I think that's probably the case with you and I. I do, however respect your love of the game and love for the Reds and ,while I'm not in love with today's baseball, I still love my Reds and I am certainly no troll. I'd appreciate it if you will at least respect me as a Reds fan. Thank you.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like you Ky Fried, but I wish there was a dislike for this post . Ron didn't call anyone a name or name anyone specifically.

There are a lot of new posters here who make some general statement with no evidence or support and then whine about being picked on when someone disagrees and shows support for why. Then they start making different points, again with no support, and expect others to go find proof why they are wrong. If somebody wants to make a general statement that's OK, but if you get pushback, that's called discussion. Be prepared to support why and if you don't want to, then read the pushback and pay as much or little attention to it as you want, but don't reply if you don't want to find support for your position.

Most of the people who feel "picked-on' have been behaving this way for months and the rest of the board has grown tired of it. I deal with it by putting people on my ignore list (its grown from one poster to about 15 since early August).

I appreciate your response. I don't mind pushback and discussion. I just don't like to see others attacked. One can vehemently disagree with a person's viewpoint without attacking the person or being condescending towards them.

A recent example. Dave C posted something a couple of days ago late in the 7-0 loss to the Twins, implying that I only showed up in games like that one when the Reds were losing. That was a total misrepresentation of me. I've been here since day one of the season, pretty much every game and most every game thread. Two to three hours out of my day five or six days a week. I have been just as much positive and praising of this team as I have been negative and critical. I don't just show up late in games the Reds are losing. Keefe and Ron both "liked" Dave C's "fake news" post, knowing full well he had misrepresented what I'm like. Just like in everyday life some people will like you and some will not.

I respect every single person's viewpoints on here, from those who think the way I do to those who believe opposite from what I do. I'm just thankful to those that own and operate this forum for giving me the opportunity to engage fellow Reds fans here. It has been a devastating few months after losing my mother this summer and these Redlegs and this great RZ forum has given me an outlet to get away from the seriousness of life for a few minutes each day and have some fun. Thank you to Boss and many of the great members on this forum for making that possible. Thanks again, mth123, for your post above.

In closing, I will say that in the two decades that I have been a part of three or four sports forums I have never blocked or "ignored" one single poster. I am considering Mr Madden's request to make him my very first one in all those years. His air of elitism and his rude treatment of some of my friends on here hasn't sit well with me. I don't know him well enough to know if he's a good guy or a bad guy. I just know that he has made myself and five or six of my friends here feel very unwelcome. I know it to be true because each of them have told me as much. I wish everyone on here well and I hope everyone will feel well enough next year to do it all over again. Good luck and best wishes to everyone that posts here. Thanks for an enjoyable ride. It's been a fun journey in 2023.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-21-2023 at 08:14 AM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

6. Likes:

WVKing304 (09-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Had great seats, and thoroughly enjoyed the game ... until the 8th inning. Diaz looked terrible from the get-go. Couldn't find the plate. Some really poor defense in this game. Castro gets up there, and the first two pitches he shows bunt. Our defense makes no adjustments. Next pitch he lays a perfect bunt own between pitcher and 1B for a hit (later scores). Some questionable throws from catcher Maile. India's defense at 2B is still shaky. Votto looked terrible at the plate. Lost, somewhat hesitant.

Left the stadium really disappointed at this one.
    Great picture and observations.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

8. Likes:

GAC (09-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm betting if I word clouded a bunch of similar posters I'd get a lot of similar word usage

Go figure
    I firmly believe there are more than a few posters with two different names. It's too easy to do and hard to prove But their posting styles are too much the same not to be. For someone to do that I think is a very disturbed person.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I firmly believe there are more than a few posters with two different names. It's too easy to do and hard to prove But their posting styles are too much the same not to be. For someone to do that I think is a very disturbed person.
    I don't know whether you are right or wrong about that. I barely have enough time to keep up with one account. I post on three message boards. This one, a Bengals fan board, and a Ky high school sports board. I do well to remember my name and password for those three. lol Maybe you are right that some people have more than one account. Isn't it possible, though, that two or three people could think very similarly and have very similar posting styles and verbiage.? I think so.

Could there be some with multiple accounts? That's possible, too, I suppose. Would that person be "very disturbed" for doing so? Not necessarily. Maybe they should try to find something else to do with their time but I would hesitate to classify them as pathologically disturbed. I think most all people that post here are true Reds fans who want the team to do well. I think there are very few, if any, "trolls" amongst us . I've always felt that way. A lot of us are overly emotional, at times, but probably no more disturbed than the average Joe or Jane.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-21-2023 at 09:51 AM.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I don't know whether you are right or wrong about that. I barely have enough time to keep up with one account. I post on three message boards. This one, a Bengals fan board, and a Ky high school sports board. I do well to remember my name and password for those three. lol Maybe you are right that some people have more than one account. Isn't it possible, though, that two or three people could think very similarly and have very similar posting styles and verbiage.? I think so.

Could there be some with multiple accounts? That's possible, too, I suppose. Would that person be "very disturbed" for doing so? Not necessarily. Maybe they should try to find something else to do with their time but I would hesitate to classify them as pathologically disturbed. I think most all people that post here are true Reds fans who want the team to do well. I think there are very few, if any, "trolls" amongst us . I've always felt that way. A lot of us are overly emotional, at times, but probably no more disturbed than the average Joe or Jane.
    I stand by my words. Anyone who has multiple accounts to try to just be someone else they are not has serious issues going on. Plenty of trolls here too. But I suppose you really know that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-21-2023)

The trolls are easy to ignore. It’s not that serious. It’s the “anti-discussion” folks I take some exception to. They’ll have an unsubstantiated hot take based on something that just happened. Alexis Diaz will blow a save and they’ll start talking about how he’s not a winner or didn’t prepare enough or isn’t being coached. Then someone will say, “what are you basing this on?” and they’ll melt into a puddle and start lamenting “personal attacks.”

As far as I can tell, a “personal attack” is any post by anyone who doesn’t agree that David Bell is unfit to manage a Foot Locker. Any take to the contrary is simping for him. That’s what I’ve learned. I mean… look… you can say whatever outrageous stuff you want. Being asked to defend your take is not attacking you.

14. Likes:

mth123 (09-21-2023),Ron Madden (09-21-2023),villain612 (09-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Elly RIGHT NOW is a complete non-factor other than being used as a pinch runner. The last time I really watched him play, he tended to overslide every base, just a lack of fundamentals, and really all about himself in the dugout. Just my opinion, but I think his ego has been tough for management to work with, that he hasn't been very coachable his first year. That wouldn't be the first time that's happened, he's really young. I've also stated that India is a leader (you can search my posts and see that), but you don't agree with me on anything. That's okay, too. I think you bring a lot to the discussion on RZ, but it's clouded with attacks on others here. As for India, as I suggested above, I think he's feeling pressure and not dealing with it very well. Didn't he suggest earlier in the season that he expected the Reds would try to trade him, or was that a rumor here?
    I really hate to hurt your feelings about this but I have to disagree and I'm not attacking you in any way.

I've seen no evidence of Elly being all about himself or that his ego has been tough for management to work with or that he hasn't been very coachable.

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-21-2023),KeefeCato (09-21-2023),redsfan9988 (09-21-2023),villain612 (09-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I stand by my words. Anyone who has multiple accounts to try to just be someone else they are not has serious issues going on. Plenty of trolls here too. But I suppose you really know that.

I don't know of anyone who has multiple accounts, or who would want them. Maybe I haven't read all posts as closely as I could have been there is nothing that I have read that gave me any indication that a person was posting under different accounts. I don't know about trolls. I know some people have been labeled as such but they most certainly aren't. Are there actual posting trolls? Maybe. But I couldn't name one off the top of my head.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

I don't know of anyone who has multiple accounts, or who would want them. Maybe I haven't read all posts as closely as I could have been there is nothing that I have read that gave me any indication that a person was posting under different accounts. I don't know about trolls. I know some people have been labeled as such but they most certainly aren't. Are there actual posting trolls? Maybe. But I couldn't name one off the top of my head.
    We've had people do that over the years here. They show-up under a name to stir the pot. The first post or two even makes them sound like a legit poster. Then they reveal themselves for what they are, they get banned and show up a month or so later with another username. I suspect one of the people on my ignore list to be one of those recurring trolls. To get away with it, you have to have some level of actually understanding what you're talking about. Most of the other people on my ignore list are not that, They are just clueless whiners.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-21-2023),Ron Madden (09-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    The trolls are easy to ignore. It’s not that serious. It’s the “anti-discussion” folks I take some exception to. They’ll have an unsubstantiated hot take based on something that just happened. Alexis Diaz will blow a save and they’ll start talking about how he’s not a winner or didn’t prepare enough or isn’t being coached. Then someone will say, “what are you basing this on?” and they’ll melt into a puddle and start lamenting “personal attacks.”

As far as I can tell, a “personal attack” is any post by anyone who doesn’t agree that David Bell is unfit to manage a Foot Locker. Any take to the contrary is simping for him. That’s what I’ve learned. I mean… look… you can say whatever outrageous stuff you want. Being asked to defend your take is not attacking you.
    Worse yet, they take your post that shows them they are wrong and say something like "what about this? Show me those stats" People, if you do this, go find your own damn stats if you want to argue something. That behavior is about as rude as I can think of and after pulling that for months. it's exactly why longer term posters have no patience for you.

Also "when I played high school ball" or "when I coached little league" is not an argument when it comes to what happens in a major league organization. It's like comparing running a lemonade stand to a restaurant chain.

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-21-2023),KeefeCato (09-22-2023),LeatherPants (09-21-2023),Revering4Blue (09-21-2023),Ron Madden (09-21-2023)

We've had people do that over the years here. They show-up under a name to stir the pot. The first post or two even makes them sound like a legit poster. Then they reveal themselves for what they are, they get banned and show up a month or so later with another username. I suspect one of the people on my ignore list to be one of those recurring trolls. To get away with it, you have to have some level of actually understanding what you're talking about. Most of the other people on my ignore list are not that, They are just clueless whiners.
    I honestly don't worry about them. Some people seem to worry about them a lot. If there are people that do that, and I have no reason to doubt what you say, they have a helluva lot more time on their hands than I do to be spending their time playing those kind of games. I guess a person could be a troll and still be a nice person. Maybe just too much time on their hands.

I will tell you this, and it's the absolute truth, I had been on this site for less than two weeks when I received a PM from a person warning me to watch out for someone who , I was told, was attempting to portray me as a troll and said this is something he tries to do to other members . The person who PM'ed me with a "heads up"has been on here for several years and is still an active poster. The person I was being warned about is one of the most respected members on the site and is someone I am not crazy about. I think I might still have that message if you want me to forward it to you.

I just like to talk Reds baseball and remember the glory years of the '70's and add a little humor at times, as well. If that makes me a troll then so be it but I think I am not that at all. I've spent the last six months on the gameday threads almost every day posting my thoughts on the Reds , as well as trivia that I think people might enjoy. It's time I could have spent with family but I really enjoy my time on this site. Of late, I've not been on the game threads as much because the toxicity and complaining about other posters has just made it less fun. As I've mentioned before , I like to read the views of people across the entire spectrum, from the ultra positive posters to the negative Nancys .I have never blocked anyone in all my years of posting on three or four message boards. You seem like a very genuine guy and I appreciate and respect your thoughts. Have a great remainder of the evening.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Worse yet, they take your post that shows them they are wrong and say something like "what about this? Show me those stats" People, if you do this, go find your own damn stats if you want to argue something. That behavior is about as rude as I can think of and after pulling that for months. it's exactly why longer term posters have no patience for you.

Also "when I played high school ball" or "when I coached little league" is not an argument when it comes to what happens in a major league organization. It's like comparing running a lemonade stand to a restaurant chain.
    Not for sure if you are referencing Rolly in Raleigh or not but I think he is a good poster . Kinda old school and very critical of the manager, like me , but very knowledgeable . I know he was labeled a troll by some of the old-timers but he wasn't anything of the sort. I think he's been here even longer than Ron. I think Rolly must have finally got fed up and split the scene. Hope he comes back , though. Looks like Gullett gave up the ghost, as well. He could be pretty salty but the guy really knew his old school Reds baseball. I liked him. Come back, Don.

I actually like a lot of the guys(and gals) here who seem to get dumped a lot . Maybe that's the progressive in me. LOL
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-21-2023 at 09:31 PM.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

I honestly don't worry about them. Some people seem to worry about them a lot. If there are people that do that, and I have no reason to doubt what you say, they have a helluva lot more time on their hands than I do to be spending their time playing those kind of games. I guess a person could be a troll and still be a nice person. Maybe just too much time on their hands.

I will tell you this, and it's the absolute truth, I had been on this site for less than two weeks when I received a PM from a person warning me to watch out for someone who , I was told, was attempting to portray me as a troll and said this is something he tries to do to other members . The person who PM'ed me with a "heads up"has been on here for several years and is still an active poster. The person I was being warned about is one of the most respected members on the site and is someone I am not crazy about. I think I might still have that message if you want me to forward it to you.

I just like to talk Reds baseball and remember the glory years of the '70's and add a little humor at times, as well. If that makes me a troll then so be it but I think I am not that at all. I've spent the last six months on the gameday threads almost every day posting my thoughts on the Reds , as well as trivia that I think people might enjoy. It's time I could have spent with family but I really enjoy my time on this site. Of late, I've not been on the game threads as much because the toxicity and complaining about other posters has just made it less fun. As I've mentioned before , I like to read the views of people across the entire spectrum, from the ultra positive posters to the negative Nancys .I have never blocked anyone in all my years of posting on three or four message boards. You seem like a very genuine guy and I appreciate and respect your thoughts. Have a great remainder of the evening.
    There are a few long-time posters that I think are quick to label people as trolls, but I think they really believe it. Not sure why they are so sensitive to it. If any of the newer people who show up in the game threads are trolls, I'd say its only the one I referenced in my previous post. A lot of the others are people who show-up only in game threads and aren't really familiar with how most discussion goes on this board and just throw out unsubstantiated opinions as fact and when they are challenged with data and actual facts, they just ignore it and stick to their unsubstantiated claims with no evidence. Many also mock those who do show evidence IMO. This board has never really had a tolerance for people with that style. Nobody is going to have any patience for people whose only support is "because I said so." When that is the basic massage, the board will turn on those people. Heck, I've been guilty of that "because I said" on occasion, but some people every wild opinion or every wild claim that they couldn't possibly have any knowledge of gets that same response. I've chosen to simply ignore all of that as noise. Its not even because I'm mad at those people, I just don't have time to wade through all that noise, so I have quite a few people who regularly post in game threads on ignore. My typical game thread page has 15 posts, but I'd say I average 6 or 7 that are from people on ignore.

So, if anyone reading this thinks you might be on my ignore list (as if anyone would care anyway) I'm not mad at you, but I don't have the time to wade through unsubstantiated opinions that you have no way of knowing like "no energy" "not prepared to play" the coach must be terrible because that guy made a bad play" "why haven't they talked to him about it" ... If this is your posting pattern, you're probably on my ignore list.

Ky Fried, please don't forward the PM. It's a private message and whoever sent it expects it to stay that way.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-21-2023 at 09:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?