3 5.45%
  • $151-higher

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Payroll Poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2024 Payroll Poll

A nice friendly poll about what you think the 2024 opening day payroll will be (not what you think it should be).

Poll incoming.

Re: 2024 Payroll Poll

I'm assuming Votto does not come back. So here's what we are "gaining" just if the Reds keep the payroll even:

Votto 25
    Moose 22
    Myers 7.5
    Cessa 2.6
    Weaver 2
    STrickland 2 (rounded up)
    Renfroe 2 (rounded up)
    Bader 1
    Neuman 2.6
    Cassali 2.5

Now subtract Votto's 7 million buyout

That's over 62 milion folks.
    Spotrac has the Reds at 96 million this past year.

Sadly, I think Phil will want to pocket some of that 62 million.
    I'm thinking, Phil gives Krall 30 million of that 62 million to spend, that gives the impression the team is trying to win.
    Wild guess is that 10 million goes to raises. (I'm too lazy to do a more in depth analysis)
    So that puts us at around 80 million next year.

But I would not be surprised if the payroll is between 70-75 either. I'm trying to be a bit optimistic.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 09-24-2023 at 12:07 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Good idea for a poll. I’ll say $90M.

4. Likes:

LeatherPants (09-24-2023),Sea Ray (09-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Good idea for a poll. I’ll say $90M.
    That’s $40-$60 million worth of new contracts for 2024.

Reds will be at around $30 million if they don’t do Votto’s option, $50 if they do. $90 means being really aggressive in free agency, so I hope you’re right (just not sure how likely that is).

6. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    That’s $40-$60 million worth of new contracts for 2024.

Reds will be at around $30 million if they don’t do Votto’s option, $50 if they do. $90 means being really aggressive in free agency, so I hope you’re right (just not sure how likely that is).
    Yeah around 30 million is the total I came up with if they buy Votto out. That assumes they bring back Senzel, India, Fraley, Stephenson, Sims, Young, and Law on arb deals. It could be as low as 20 if they decide to move on from half of those arb eligible players.

8. Likes:

LeatherPants (09-24-2023)

I think they sneak just above the $51MM threshold. Basically means they sign a couple of decent vets to short-term deals, and maybe extend a couple of guys with some frontloaded money.

If they’re over $76MM in 2024, I will eat my hat and put the footage on YouTube.

I think the same as this year with a nominal bump because the attendance was good.

Is the whole Bally situation settled now? Will the Reds be negotiating a new TV deal in a rush? That might be a wildcard. The reds got all their TV money this year ...
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

Chip R (09-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the same as this year with a nominal bump because the attendance was good.

Is the whole Bally situation settled now? Will the Reds be negotiating a new TV deal in a rush? That might be a wildcard. The reds got all their TV money this year ...
    So if you think they’ll be at around $100 million, you’re expecting them to jump full into the free agency pool? Because you’re predicting that they’ll spend about $70 million in new money (or $ 50 if they bring Votto back).

So if you think they’ll be at around $100 million, you’re expecting them to jump full into the free agency pool? Because you’re predicting that they’ll spend about $70 million in new money (or $ 50 if they bring Votto back).
    I think they bring Votto back, sign a couple of guys to long term deals and go out and add a Starter of at least Greene Caliber (which will cost $20 to $25 Million per year) and a reliever that will make 5 to 8 Million. Not sure if they go out and get an OF bat. I'm starting to think Senzel comes back as the RH OF bat.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think they bring Votto back, sign a couple of guys to long term deals and go out and add a Starter of at least Greene Caliber (which will cost $20 to $25 Million per year) and a reliever that will make 5 to 8 Million. Not sure if they go out and get an OF bat. I'm starting to think Senzel comes back as the RH OF bat.
    That starter and reliever gets them to about $80 million (assuming $20 million for Votto). Even with multiple extensions, which will be back loaded, that leaves $15-20 million to get to $100. I just don’t see it.

That starter and reliever gets them to about $80 million (assuming $20 million for Votto). Even with multiple extensions, which will be back loaded, that leaves $15-20 million to get to $100. I just don’t see it.
    There will probably be signing bonuses with some of those deals that will come out of this season's cash. The Reds should try front loading some deals while the kids are cheap.

Optimistic, hope you’re right.

My fear is Reds have been waiting for Votto/Moose deals to be off the books and won’t easily let go of the lower salary range.

17. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-24-2023),REDREAD (09-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Optimistic, hope you’re right.

My fear is Reds have been waiting for Votto/Moose deals to be off the books and won’t easily let go of the lower salary range.

This is my thinking too and that they’ll hope on internal improvement with maybe a reliever or two.

They’ll re-sign Votto and get a Mike Minor. Payroll will look similar to this year’s. Around 80 million.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They’ll re-sign Votto and get a Mike Minor. Payroll will look similar to this year’s. Around 80 million.
    If it’s going to be $80 they’ll be doing way more than just Votto and a $10 million pitcher. That gets them to $60.

Turn Off Ads?