• $126-$150 million

3 5.45%
  • $151-higher

0 0%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Payroll Poll

Re: 2024 Payroll Poll

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    This gets overblown. Free agents mostly sign with the top bidder. Reds just need to be the top bidder.
    Agreed, that’s why a pitcher worth 12-16m elsewhere might sign for 20 here.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-29-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Does anyone know why polls don’t show up in the Tapatalk app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-09-2023)

Now that the off-season has started, and the Reds have officially declined Votto's option, does anyone want to revise their payroll prediction?

I personally don't think they'll get much higher than $50 million.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Now that the off-season has started, and the Reds have officially declined Votto's option, does anyone want to revise their payroll prediction?

Yes. I think I said $90M? Let’s go $60M. Don’t know what I was thinking.

Yea, I originally said 80 million, but now looking back, that just seems way too high.
    I guess I was just full of hope after finally having an over 500 season.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I don’t know why this would change anyone’s opinion. I thought it was well established awhile ago that Votto’s option would not be picked up, but that they would talk to him about re-signing him to a smaller deal. That is what has happened, though Votto doesn’t seem open to that smaller deal if it means he’s not a starter. This action reveals nothing about the rest of their payroll plans.

However, new information that does reveal something about the Reds 2024 payroll plans is Krall saying they intend on spending more this year, and they intend on adding a veteran free agent, most likely via free agency. Based on this, I would be inclined to increase my original estimate of the Reds 2024 payroll.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Yes. I think I said $90M? Let’s go $60M. Don’t know what I was thinking.
    The Reds payroll right now, including all the buyouts, arbitration estimates, and giving everyone else league minimum, is $46M.

Krall already said that they would spend more this year than last year. Some would interpret that as meaning their payroll will be higher this year than last year. But if you want to have the more conservative interpretation that they will spend more on free agents this offseason than last, then that means the Reds will spend more than the $13M they spent last season.

That means the Reds payroll will be at more than $59M. So you both are already wrong (though BaseClogger could still be technically correct, but it’s unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds payroll right now, including all the buyouts, arbitration estimates, and giving everyone else league minimum, is $46M.

Krall already said that they would spend more this year than last year. Some would interpret that as meaning their payroll will be higher this year than last year. But if you want to have the more conservative interpretation that they will spend more on free agents this offseason than last, then that means the Reds will spend more than the $13M they spent last season.

That means the Reds payroll will be at more than $59M. So you both are already wrong (though BaseClogger could still be technically correct, but it’s unlikely).
    Care to post where you found $46 million, because everywhere I've checked they are estimating that they are currently at $35 or so.

Also, not really sure I'd be doing victory laps if they are at $46 million right now. But you do you.
    Last edited by LeatherPants; 11-09-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Care to post where you found $46 million, because everywhere I've checked they are estimating that they are currently at $35 or so.

Also, not really sure I'd be doing victory laps if they are at $46 million right now. But you do you.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...asDfBklmU/edit

From that link:

Projected 26-man Opening Day Payroll $36,008,333

From that link:

Projected 26-man Opening Day Payroll $36,008,333
    That doesn’t include the buyouts of Votto, Casali and Myers.

Here is Spartac’s Reds payroll projection::

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cincinnati-reds/payroll/

Projected Total Payroll - - - - $46,728,298

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That doesn’t include the buyouts of Votto, Casali and Myers.
    That's not really payroll though. I mean, I don't want to start an accounting debate, but we are paying those guys to end their contracts.
    We could consider that an end of year expense for 2023 (logically, I'm not talking about accounting rules).
    Yes, it's an expense, and I can see why people would count it as payroll, but obviously if LeatherPants is excluding that, that's reasonable too.
    Bottom line is that people want payroll to go up , because that means the Reds at least tried to add talent.
    Maybe a better way to ask the question is.. How much payroll will the Reds add this winter?
    Because that establishes a baseline that's not controversial.
    I'm not criticizing the person that made the poll, I am saying this to establish a baseline for our discussion here.
    So, 757690.. How much payroll do you think the Reds will add this winter from bringing new players in ? (not raises of existing players).
    I'm revising my estimate to 10-15 million.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Reds projected opening day payroll is currently at $63M according to Spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cincinnati-reds/payroll/

Well, I'll miss him on Monday night:

Turn Off Ads?