Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part III: De Ja Vu?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part III: De Ja Vu?

Other one is over 1,000 posts.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part III: De Ja Vu?

I don't get the hate for Zac Taylor's playcalling last night. He's not an elite playcaller, but he's been fine. I wish he was like McDaniel, or Shanahan, or McVay, but there aren't many guys like that in the league. The Bengals finished 4th in Offensive DVOA last year after a bad start and behind a terrible OL. Yes, he's coaching very good players, but the stats would suggest that he's utilizing them well.

This season, Burrow is 2-20 on throws 15+ yards down the field. He can't throw the ball past the sticks right now, and opponents know that. It's hard to draw up creative plays when you've got almost no even intermediate threat, and when the QB justifiably wants to get rid of the ball at the first sign of pressure. But there were guys open last night. Tee killed multiple drives on his own with either drops or stupidity. Burrow missed open guys. Burrow missed all of preseason and is barely practicing right now. His timing and ball placement are both off. It was a bad game from Joe (obviously has a legitimate excuse) and a terrible game from Tee. Decent games from both of those guys probably gets the Bengals to 30 points. IMO this is mostly an execution issue on the players' side, with the biggest unfortunately being at QB. Right now it's not really anybody's fault because Burrow's play is mostly injury related, but it's just unfortunate.

3. Likes:

RiverRat13 (09-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I don't get the hate for Zac Taylor's playcalling last night. He's not an elite playcaller, but he's been fine. I wish he was like McDaniel, or Shanahan, or McVay, but there aren't many guys like that in the league. The Bengals finished 4th in Offensive DVOA last year after a bad start and behind a terrible OL. Yes, he's coaching very good players, but the stats would suggest that he's utilizing them well.

This season, Burrow is 2-20 on throws 15+ yards down the field. He can't throw the ball past the sticks right now, and opponents know that. It's hard to draw up creative plays when you've got almost no even intermediate threat, and when the QB justifiably wants to get rid of the ball at the first sign of pressure. But there were guys open last night. Tee killed multiple drives on his own with either drops or stupidity. Burrow missed open guys. Burrow missed all of preseason and is barely practicing right now. His timing and ball placement are both off. It was a bad game from Joe (obviously has a legitimate excuse) and a terrible game from Tee. Decent games from both of those guys probably gets the Bengals to 30 points. IMO this is mostly an execution issue on the players' side, with the biggest unfortunately being at QB. Right now it's not really anybody's fault because Burrow's play is mostly injury related, but it's just unfortunate.
    Two weeks in a row where Joe and the offense have clearly gotten better as the game progressed. I think that's a big tell that his lack of reps at practice is hampering this offense. Tee's performance is helping much, either. But this version of Joe Burrow at (60? 70?) percent is a bottom tier quarterback.

5. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (09-26-2023)

What's the point of hiring an OC if the Head Coach is calling the plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    The idea would be that Zac would give up playcalling to the new offensive coordinator.

Some head coaches call plays, some don't. Zac needs to delegate.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Reid, McVay, McDaniel, and Shanahan all call plays. It seems to work ok for them. Not saying Zac is as good as those guys, and maybe he should hand it off, but it's not like it's crazy for the head coach to also be the play caller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as play calling from what I have always read they give Burrow 2-3 plays to choose from and he is supposed to check to what he feels works best...Taylor said last night a lot of runs were called and Burrow checked to passes.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

10. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (09-26-2023)

Reid, McVay, McDaniel, and Shanahan all call plays. It seems to work ok for them. Not saying Zac is as good as those guys, and maybe he should hand it off, but it's not like it's crazy for the head coach to also be the play caller.

I dislike Zac. I think he's milquetoast who is carried immensely by the amount of talent he has on offense that he lucked into. He's a good HC to lead the type of team we have now and great for the locker room. He doesn't pass the "eye test" when it comes to calling plays. Their stubborness to not get a quality TE in the draft or FA really hurts them. I feel like we don't utilize the running game as much as we should. I'd love to go under center more than zero times a game.

But I can at least agree that Burrow's calf is hampering things for now. But then again, I think he's a major reason Burrow's calf is the way it is. . . so I don't know.

12. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (09-26-2023),Sea Ray (09-26-2023)

I dislike Zac. I think he's milquetoast who is carried immensely by the amount of talent he has on offense that he lucked into. He's a good HC to lead the type of team we have now and great for the locker room. He doesn't pass the "eye test" when it comes to calling plays. Their stubborness to not get a quality TE in the draft or FA really hurts them. I feel like we don't utilize the running game as much as we should. I'd love to go under center more than zero times a game.

But I can at least agree that Burrow's calf is hampering things for now. But then again, I think he's a major reason Burrow's calf is the way it is. . . so I don't know.
    Just curious, do you hold Taylor responsible for every Bengals injury? Or is it just Burrow's?

Zac wants to be under center a lot more. Burrow just isn't good at it. They tried to do it early last year, scrapped it after week 5 when it wasn't working, and then they took off. The Bengals are not running the "Zac Taylor offense". Taylor adapted his plan to what Burrow does well, which is what a good coach does. They haven't had a chance to have Burrow work on the things he's bad at because he misses every training camp. I think Zac would love to mesh some of the Rams offensive scheme with the shotgun stuff that Burrow is already good at. Hopefully someday. We can dream that Burrow will have a healthy preseason at some point in his career...

A better TE would be nice, but it doesn't really hurt them. The TE depth chart is probably more a Tobin thing than a Zac thing too. They were an elite offense last year. You're not going to have elite players at every position. They have 3 very good to great WRs, and so they make the decision to go cheap at TE to invest elsewhere. Every team is making these evaluations on trade offs, and there are 30 other teams (probably not the Dolphins) who would trade their pass catchers for what the Bengals have.

Something to consider:

Outside of Reid and to a lesser extent McVay offensive minded coaches are usually a flash in the pan in the NFL. Shanahan might get a pass because he is basically running a suped up version of his dad's offense. Outside of Andy Reid the lifespan for an offensive minded head coach on one team isn't very long for this reason.

Using Zac as an example, teams have seen his bag of tricks. Defenses have already started to adjust and the Bengals have struggled. I think this would also be true if Burrow wasn't hurt again.

I look at Zac the same as Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, or Mike Tomlin (God help me on the last two). He's rebuilt the culture taking the Bengals from being the NFLs version of the Jailblazers to a team who drafts based on character and leadership and it has paid off in getting them to the Super Bowl. That said he's only as good as his assistants and right now I think he would be better served to bring in an offensive coordinator who could inject some life into the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Something to consider:

Outside of Reid and to a lesser extent McVay offensive minded coaches are usually a flash in the pan in the NFL. Shanahan might get a pass because he is basically running a suped up version of his dad's offense. Outside of Andy Reid the lifespan for an offensive minded head coach on one team isn't very long for this reason.

Using Zac as an example, teams have seen his bag of tricks. Defenses have already started to adjust and the Bengals have struggled. I think this would also be true if Burrow wasn't hurt again.

I look at Zac the same as Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, or Mike Tomlin (God help me on the last two). He's rebuilt the culture taking the Bengals from being the NFLs version of the Jailblazers to a team who drafts based on character and leadership and it has paid off in getting them to the Super Bowl. That said he's only as good as his assistants and right now I think he would be better served to bring in an offensive coordinator who could inject some life into the offense.

Both coaches in each of the last 4 SBs have been offensive coaches. The lifespan of any coach in the NFL is short. Offensive coaches are no more a flash in the pan than any others.

Last year teams adjusted to the Bengals, and then the Bengals adjusted to that and dominated. Every team is going to deal with some bumps. The Patriots did, the Chiefs looked very mediocre for a while a couple years ago as teams went 2 high on them. But great teams adjust, and for 2 years in a row Zac has figured out how to do that.

I have noproblem with his playcalling. I have a problem with the undisciplined penalties and the poor play of Tee Higgins. Zac is responsible for discipline on his team and I believe he needs to address Tee. I would give more playing time to the rookie we drafted out of Princeton. The Rams were getting great production out of their rookie WR last night. Why can't we?

18. Likes:

LiferJim (09-26-2023),wally post (09-27-2023)

I wonder if Tee's contract situation is effecting his play?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wonder if Tee's contract situation is effecting his play?
    If anything I would think it would entice him to play better and get a better payday.

Not understanding it though since he had a great game last week.

Turn Off Ads?