Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part III: De Ja Vu?

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part III: De Ja Vu?

Letís not forget what the offense did the previous two seasons with a piss poor offensive line. IMO, Taylor absolutely deserves some credit for that.

That said, I do feel like the offense wasnít well prepared in week one against the Browns and I feel like the fact Burrow had zero reps in the preseason should have dictated a different game plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

2. Turn Off Ads?

2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part III: De Ja Vu?

I do not understand why it would be a criticism to have great players who make plays. This is the NFL, and gimmicks and scheme just do not get you very far. And I am as frustrated as anyone watching the struggles. I think coaches need cudos for getting Chase the ball creatively last night and getting the D rocking finally. Not at peak performance, but they got the win. Tough road game gonna need to play cleaner to win at Titans.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's worth pointing out that pre-Burrow, Zac Taylor was pretty much Dave Shula 2.0.

And many of you will also recall that even drafting Burrow wasn't enough to get the offense going. They had to break their shiny new toy and punt the season, so they could get shiny new toy #2, Jamaar Chase.

Only then, did Zac Taylor stop looking like Dave Shula Part II. All he needed was a generational QB and 3 Elite WRs.

Without all of these shiny toys on offense, all perfectly healthy, Zac Taylor's playcalling looks pedestrian at best. We've seen this. It doesn't even have to be Burrow. If Chase, Higgins, or Boyd goes down, the offense grinds to a halt.

This guy needs a generational QB, and 3 #1 WRs to make anything happen. That's freaking pathetic. Taylor has no business designing or calling plays in the NFL. None. There's a conga-line of NFL coaches out there who could do far more with far less.
    Zac Taylor was here one season pre-Burrow and he was dealt one of the worst rosters I've ever seen an NFL team field. I'm not arguing Zac is perfect, but comparing that year to Dave Shula's six-year tenure is silly.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

5. Likes:

oregonred (09-26-2023)

"So Fla Red"

Do we have the PFF grades from last night? The OL should grade out well. I did see Trey was a 92.1.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Do we have the PFF grades from last night? The OL should grade out well. I did see Trey was a 92.1.
    I haven't seen all the grades, but Volson had a 0.0 pass blocking grade

8. Likes:

traderumor (09-26-2023)

It's worth pointing out that pre-Burrow, Zac Taylor was pretty much Dave Shula 2.0.

And many of you will also recall that even drafting Burrow wasn't enough to get the offense going. They had to break their shiny new toy and punt the season, so they could get shiny new toy #2, Jamaar Chase.

Only then, did Zac Taylor stop looking like Dave Shula Part II. All he needed was a generational QB and 3 Elite WRs.

Without all of these shiny toys on offense, all perfectly healthy, Zac Taylor's playcalling looks pedestrian at best. We've seen this. It doesn't even have to be Burrow. If Chase, Higgins, or Boyd goes down, the offense grinds to a halt.

This guy needs a generational QB, and 3 #1 WRs to make anything happen. That's freaking pathetic. Taylor has no business designing or calling plays in the NFL. None. There's a conga-line of NFL coaches out there who could do far more with far less.
    Correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post

Brad Robbins is the worst punter after 3 weeks too.

I get it but Aaron Donald does that to a lot of guys

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I get it but Aaron Donald does that to a lot of guys
    Its funny because I was watching the game thinking that the Bengals were doing a good job on Donald early. Then he wore them down and dominated. Guy is such a game wrecker when he is on.

Jonah Williams has fit in nicely at RT graded out 100.00 according to PFF in pass blocking.

Aaron Rodgers was on with McAfee for his usual spot said he doesn't think people realize how much pain Burrow was in...said he texted with him last week about the calf.

I would imagine the next few weeks we will see a lot more dink and dunk until the calf warms up.

25% run efficiency needs to be better.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 09-26-2023 at 06:10 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

As bad as Alexander was late in his tenure he still coached up some OL. They even had some Ok depth too. It’s been just barely average since then though. They just do a bad job at drafting and developing OL. The complete opposite of what they do with WR and DL. TE as well.

It was a bad take when you first put the Dave Shula 2.0 Zac Attack nonsense out there and still holds to this day...

Taylor is a top 10-12 HC in this league...as a play-caller he leaves a lot to be desired.

Honestly in looking around the NFL what head coach's success isn't directly tied to his QB or his personnel. Tobin drafted Burrow, and he (Burrow) Callahan and Taylor went to work on installing an offense that fit the personnel the team had. A lot of head coaches and FO's have ruined many a good QB Derek Carr and Andrew Luck being two of the more recent ones I can remember. Burrow seems to be thriving as evidenced by one of the richest contracts in NFL history. AS the calf gets better I think we will see what the offense is capable of.

I suppose we could go back to Marvin Milquetoast Lewis and his 0-8 playoff record...I hear he's available.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

15. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-26-2023)

There are so many things wrong in this post that it's hard to organize my thoughts, but...

It's also worth pointing out that ZT won a playoff game for the first time in 30 years and took the Bengals to the super bowl for the first time in 33 years in just his third season. He's hired great coaches and built a stable organization. I know it seems crazy that he couldn't win more games in 2019 with Andy Dalton throwing to John Ross and Alex Erickson, but it's good to see he's gotten better since .

The Bengals offense was awesome last year when Chase missed time. They were terrible in that Cleveland Monday night game and then dominant from there. The Bengals got to the Super Bowl behind a historically bad OL and then made it within seconds of a second one with an OL down 3 starters. Meanwhile his QB has never had an off-season, so he's making adjustments during the season and has had the team rolling at the most critical time the last two years.

Every good coach has great players. Players matter more than coaches, but the coach's job is to maximize the talent of the players. Considering the Bengals have been a top 4 team each of the last 2 years, I'd say the results are at worst at expectations. For a coach to have done more the last two years, you'd have to believe the Bengals should be back to back Super Bowl champs.

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-26-2023),LiferJim (09-26-2023),traderumor (09-27-2023),wally post (09-27-2023)

Reid, McVay, McDaniel, and Shanahan all call plays. It seems to work ok for them. Not saying Zac is as good as those guys, and maybe he should hand it off, but it's not like it's crazy for the head coach to also be the play caller.

Something to consider:

Outside of Reid and to a lesser extent McVay offensive minded coaches are usually a flash in the pan in the NFL. Shanahan might get a pass because he is basically running a suped up version of his dad's offense. Outside of Andy Reid the lifespan for an offensive minded head coach on one team isn't very long for this reason.

Using Zac as an example, teams have seen his bag of tricks. Defenses have already started to adjust and the Bengals have struggled. I think this would also be true if Burrow wasn't hurt again.

I look at Zac the same as Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, or Mike Tomlin (God help me on the last two). He's rebuilt the culture taking the Bengals from being the NFLs version of the Jailblazers to a team who drafts based on character and leadership and it has paid off in getting them to the Super Bowl. That said he's only as good as his assistants and right now I think he would be better served to bring in an offensive coordinator who could inject some life into the offense.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

"So Fla Red"

Zac won 10 in a row last year after the Cleveland debacle and did a great job on the other 3-4 games Chase missed. I would prefer a new, creative playcaller seeing how Reid and McDaniel are scheming guys wide open, but I think Burrow has full discretion to check out of run plays which sounds like was the case last night.

I would say the league hasn't caught up to him, but the mediocre starts are making the last half of the season and road playoff games an uphill battle.

Still he has won as many playoff games as Tomlin and Harbaugh combined over the last 10 years. With a garbage line in 2021 and down 3 OL starters in the playoffs last year.

20. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (09-27-2023),traderumor (09-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wonder if Tee's contract situation is effecting his play?
    I wonder if Burrow's contract he just signed is effecting his play?

All of a sudden, he's got a quarter of a billion dollars to figure out what to do with it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?