Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Texas League Championship

Texas League Championship

I was at the TL championship game last night, Amarillo won (yay) 9-1.

Some observations.

Remember Seth Beer? He's still hanging on, but despite dominating AAA in '21, having decent numbers there in '22 he's spent the majority of 2023 in AA. He can still rake, but at 27, he's similar to a former Reds top prospect/cautionary tale; Brandon Larson. Everyone for Amarillo got a hit. Everyone but Lar.. I mean Beer scored a run. Complete beat down.

DBacks have something at the hot corner. 20 year old Deyvison De Los Santos can pick it and can hit. He's the real deal. His numbers dipped a bit from last year, but they seem to be fast tracking him. AAA at 21 next year with a mid to late season callup possible. I mean he JUST turned 20 in June. He had a spectacular leaping grab of a ball that bounce hard over his head, set his feet and fired to 1st getting the runner by a step. Standing ovation from the crowd. He ate it up too.

Kristian Robinson missed 2020 so the DBacks are trying an accelerated approach here. He's 22, and hits. He missed 3 years; 2020, '21 and '22, due to legal issues. He hit a cop. AZ has stuck by him and he cleared his probation. He's still young enough to be a prospect. He'll be 23 and just got a taste of AA to help the Sod Poodles down the stretch. I'd say AA to start 2024.

Finally, a probable non prospect. 26 year old Michel Otanez. Walks too many. Older. Converted from starting. Originally signed by the Mets at 18 out of the DR. So why do I bring him up? He was money last night throwing 2 pitches. a FB that touched 102 and some offspeed pitch that dove into the ground at 83. I think AZ got him as a minor league FA. He's interesting, if he finds the right coach.

Overall a fun night. Arkansas went with a bullpen day using 7 pitchers. Seattle had maybe 4 of their top 30 in last night's game. While they were overmatched most looked really good in the field. Right center is a triples dream, and their CF tracked at least three flyballs down and went a long way to get them.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-28-2023),camisadelgolf (09-28-2023),Tom Servo (09-29-2023),UKFlounder (09-28-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Turn Off Ads?