Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-24 MLB Off-Season News and Notes

Re: 2023-24 MLB Off-Season News and Notes

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Lots of smoke on a Soto to Yankees trade.
    It's a typical Yankees move so it's probably likely. Load up on expensive middle of the order bats and hope for the best. It hasn't worked for them in the past decade and a half.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cards MO has been contact pitchers who depend on the fielders to churn balls in play into outs. They were woefully poor at missing bats last year and hope to correct that, Gibson is not going to help. The really odd thing is the the age of their staff, you just don't see that many teams with five 30+ starters, not good teams, not bad teams. My take is the Cards have a small window, they have three regulars 32 and older (Goldy, Nolan, Contreas) and O'Neil and Edman are 29 and now those starters, they can all bond on their favorite episode of the PinkyBrainy Big Cartoonie Show
    Yeah I agree it's strange they've decided to get very old but I had concluded like you that this was related to the aging of Goldschmidt and Arenado. I probably think Gibson will do more for them than Lynn, but who knows? Maybe Lynn will be all right in that park. (It would have been amusing to see him try to keep the ball in GABP.)

Do great franchises stock up on starting pitchers all over 30?

Asking for a friend interested in not great franchises
    You're viewing it through the "worry about spending first" framework. If that is your paramount concern, then anyone over 22 years of age will look problematic. But other teams don't operate like that. They take the reality on the ground (lack of prospects emerging) and work with the tools at hand.

I don't know that the Cardinals will become a 90 win team this season, but it wouldn't even remotely surprise me.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're viewing it through the "worry about spending first" framework. If that is your paramount concern, then anyone over 22 years of age will look problematic. But other teams don't operate like that. They take the reality on the ground (lack of prospects emerging) and work with the tools at hand.

I don't know that the Cardinals will become a 90 win team this season, but it wouldn't even remotely surprise me.
    and they don’t have to be a 90 win team to be a problem for the Reds, they just need to win more games against the Reds than they did last year. Reds need to make up wins somewhere if they want to win the division.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (11-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    and they don’t have to be a 90 win team to be a problem for the Reds, they just need to win more games against the Reds than they did last year. Reds need to make up wins somewhere if they want to win the division.
    And if anything, the Reds look to take a step backwards, barring a miraculous run of starting pitcher health and progress.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

No, I'm viewing it that spending on risky bets in one commodity is indeed risky. I qualified that the Cardinals had a small window so yes 90 perhaps, but in a couple of years they could be right where they are today, coming off a losing season.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Seeing a Twitter rumor that Randy Arozarena from Tampa might be available in trade. *drool*
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Seeing a Twitter rumor that Randy Arozarena from Tampa might be available in trade. *drool*
    If the Reds could pull off a deal for him and Glasnow, I’d go nuts

11. Likes:

JCM11 (11-29-2023)

No, I'm viewing it that spending on risky bets in one commodity is indeed risky. I qualified that the Cardinals had a small window so yes 90 perhaps, but in a couple of years they could be right where they are today, coming off a losing season.
    Except spending doesn't bother the Cardinals, and neither does eating contracts. They'll simply reload in another way if this way doesn't work out. They have a first class farm so they'll have plenty of kids emerging soon.

I was just thinking earlier about how miserable it must be to be a Rays fan and if they were already going to part ways with Arozarena.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If the Reds could pull off a deal for him and Glasnow, I’d go nuts
    Last season was the first time he's ever topped 100 IP, got all the way to 120. He's 30 years old. Somebody's going to send a raft full of prospects to the Rays and pay Glasnow $25M for a one-time shot to see if he can actually pitch a full good season. Maybe he works out, but maybe he's like getting a "no ragrets" tattoo on your forehead.
    Last edited by M2; 11-29-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-29-2023),TRF (11-30-2023)

BTV has India, Lodolo, and Acosta for Randy and Glasnow even at 46 to 46.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I suspect the Rays would want major league ready hitting with more years of control. The only one that fits that who I'd be comfortable giving up is Steer. I wouldn't walk away from giving them Benson or Friedl, but with both of them LH hitters, I'd rather hang on to them.

Something like this:
    CIN gets:
    RH Glasnow
    OF Arozarena

TBR gets:
    UT Steer
    RH Richardson
    OF Hinds

This gets a "fair trade" evaluation from BTV.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 11-29-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I was just thinking earlier about how miserable it must be to be a Rays fan and if they were already going to part ways with Arozarena.

Last season was the first time he's ever topped 100 IP, got all the way to 120. He's 30 years old. Somebody's going to send a raft full of prospects to the Rays and pay Glasnow $25M for a one-time shot to see if he can actually pitch a full good season. Maybe he works out, but maybe he's like getting a "no ragrets" tattoo on your forehead.
    I was thinking getting Arozarena in the deal would give more long term value to the deal. I agree Glasnow is a risk but he’s also high reward. “No ragrets baby!” If it turns out this is easiest and most cost effective way to add a starter.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 11-29-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Except spending doesn't bother the Cardinals, and neither does eating contracts. They'll simply reload in another way if this way doesn't work out. They have a first class farm so they'll have plenty of kids emerging soon.
    Well then what's to debate?

They can afford to make mistakes and they have a first class resume, they are essentially the Steph of the NL

Name:  IMG_1479.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  157.6 KB

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-29-2023)

Turn Off Ads?