Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-24 MLB Off-Season News and Notes

Re: 2023-24 MLB Off-Season News and Notes

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well then what's to debate?

They can afford to make mistakes and they have a first class resume, they are essentially the Steph of the NL

Sure. Wouldn’t hurt for the Reds to adopt a similar philosophy of “win today to keep the turnstiles humming and win continually” strategy, but I’m sure I’ll be treated to the “Reds have a finite market and can never improve their revenue because they’re small market” circular argument lecture.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Likes:

REDREAD (11-30-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Sure. Wouldn’t hurt for the Reds to adopt a similar philosophy of “win today to keep the turnstiles humming and win continually” strategy, but I’m sure I’ll be treated to the “Reds have a finite market and can never improve their revenue because they’re small market” circular argument lecture.
    Sure they can do that, problem as I see it is they have too many people at the table to make bold decisions. The market is Cincinnati, thus it's conservative by nature and has to be somewhat accepted as a starting point. Unless of course you want to pretend otherwise

5. Likes:

Chip R (11-30-2023),Old school 1983 (11-29-2023),Revering4Blue (11-29-2023),Ron Madden (11-30-2023)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	20592

From MLBTraderumors:
    Nov. 30: The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal suggests a very different scenario regarding Cease, writing that Getz & Co. prefer to wait to move him until after the top starters on the market have signed. Clubs with current interest (e.g. Cincinnati, Baltimore), aren’t likely to play for the top names in free agency anyhow and will thus remain in play even if the Sox take their time trading Cease. And, by waiting until the top of the free agent market thins out, the Sox could potentially attract more bidders in the form of those who miss out on the likes of Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Blake Snell, Jordan Montgomery, etc.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-30-2023)

Rosenthal says the Cardinals are pursuing Cease

Anyone here old enough to remember him?

It's sad to hear that Levi Walker, aka Chief Noc-A-Homa, has passed. Rest in peace, Chief.
    https://twitter.com/BravesOnTBS/stat...5Es3_&ref_url=

11. Likes:

Chip R (11-30-2023),cumberlandreds (11-30-2023),mth123 (11-30-2023),REDREAD (11-30-2023),Revering4Blue (11-30-2023),Tuff Nut (11-30-2023)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	20604

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

I think it was 1982 they were contending for the NL West title and they decided to take away his teepee so they could sell those seats. Almost immediately they went on a big losing streak and people lost their minds and clamored for the Braves to put it back. IIRC, they did but to a different part of the stadium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-30-2023),Revering4Blue (11-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Yep, if you watched the Braves much at all during their TBS days you would know him. I never knew his real name though until now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

16. Likes:

Chip R (11-30-2023),Revering4Blue (11-30-2023),Tuff Nut (11-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I would have done Gray deal in reverse... Front Load it, that way when the kids get expensive you have less tied up in Gray. Basically take the same money from the Cards just flip it 35-25-10 (with some bonus incentives). I doubt any agent would take that though.
    Actually, a player/agent would jump at a front loaded deal. It gets the money into his client's bank account faster.
    That's why clubs backload deals, it saves them some cash. In Sonny's case, they hold on to 15 million for a couple years longer and can make interest/investments on it.
    I don't think I've ever seen a front loaded MLB contract.. Maybe there's been a few, but it's extremely rare.
    This is really no different than why the Reds backloaded Jr's deal with so much deferred money.
    And no one said the Reds were cheap for doing it.
    Jr thought that would help the Reds field a better team while he was here, Allen lied to him about that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're viewing it through the "worry about spending first" framework. If that is your paramount concern, then anyone over 22 years of age will look problematic. But other teams don't operate like that. They take the reality on the ground (lack of prospects emerging) and work with the tools at hand.

I don't know that the Cardinals will become a 90 win team this season, but it wouldn't even remotely surprise me.
    Exactly, the Cards had 3 holes in the rotation, they plugged them in November.
    They could still get another starting pitcher if they wanted to, but now they aren't desperate.
    Lynn is being asked to be the #5 pitcher. Is that ideal? No, of course , it's desirable to have someone better.
    But on the other hand, it's a much better plan than handing that role to someone like Cessa (which is what the Reds have historically done).

It's kind of funny..I'm ok with the Reds getting Pagan (better than nothing), but there's discussion on there about how if Pagan is bad, it's only 8 million and they can cut him.. (2 years/16 million).. Well, Lynn is only one year, 10 million.. if he's bad, he can be cut too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Rosenthal says the Cardinals are pursuing Cease
    He said that, but this is the quote he is using to draw that conclusion:

John Mozeliak said at the press conference to introduce Sonny Gray that he “doubted” his next move would be to add more starting pitching but conceded that he remains “open-minded” to further rotation additions
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

21. Likes:

NebraskaRed (11-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He said that, but this is the quote he is using to draw that conclusion:
    So, you're saying that the Cardinals are all in on Ohtani?

Supposedly Blake Snell really wants to pitch for the Mariners - https://www.si.com/mlb/padres/news/p...ic-team-nc2000.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Supposedly Blake Snell really wants to pitch for the Mariners - https://www.si.com/mlb/padres/news/p...ic-team-nc2000.
    If he signs there, they'd have a starter to trade. I like the India for Woo idea that has been floated on here, but I think the Mariners could do better for Woo.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

25. Likes:

757690 (12-01-2023)

Turn Off Ads?