Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2024 NFL Draft

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

This is a slave-labor setup.

Rookies have no leverage.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

This is akin to John Elway threatening to play baseball if the Colts kept him. Or Andrew Luck going back to school so he wouldn't have to play for the Panthers.

Never understood the Chargers caving to Eli Manning for that reason. Yes he had a famous dad and brother but as a rookie as you said no leverage.

Ownership stake aside, threatening to sit out the draft probably won't happen but it's not outside the realm of possibility. NIL has thrown several wrenches into things and this could be one of them

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think Caleb Williams is the only sure thing. He's Patrick Mahomes 2.0. He's a franchise changing QB. Him sitting out and going back to USC is stupid though but Andrew Luck set the precdent long before NIL.

Drake Maye could also be Mitch Trubisky 2.0. Could be wrong but I think he has serious bust potential.

Penix, McCarthy, and Sanders are all wait and see. Wouldn't surprise me if it's just three QBs in the first round again.

This draft has major potential for offensive and defensive line picks. I like that for the Bengals if the season continues to go south. Joe Alt, Oluyiama Fashanu, JC Latham, and Amarius Mims could all be top 15 picks. Jerzahn Newton, Maason Smith, and Jared Verse on the defensive line are solid as well.

The more I hear about Williams, the more I want to root against him.

As expensive as QB's have gotten on their 2nd contracts, I believe 6 go in the 1st round as teams attempt to get some cheaper years out of them while trying to find that diamond-in-the-rough. I see at least a dozen Quarterbacks with really good potential as Starters in the NFL. Half of them won't succeed, but there could be four 8-year Starters among them. I think that makes it a risk worth taking by 6 teams in the 1st Round.
    Right now I see it as Caleb Williams (assuming he stays) and Drake Maye. The rest could play their way in or in the case of Shedur Sanders stay in college and go next year.

Why take them in the first when you can let them go later and the difference in paying them is a lot less? Will Levis lost millions by falling to the second round. If teams did what you are suggesting Levis and Hendon Hooker likely would have been first round picks.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

This is akin to John Elway threatening to play baseball if the Colts kept him. Or Andrew Luck going back to school so he wouldn't have to play for the Panthers.

Never understood the Chargers caving to Eli Manning for that reason. Yes he had a famous dad and brother but as a rookie as you said no leverage.

Ownership stake aside, threatening to sit out the draft probably won't happen but it's not outside the realm of possibility. NIL has thrown several wrenches into things and this could be one of them

I have seen that Williams make in the 3 mil neighborhood. How much more could he make if he does another year in school? Yep, the NIL has thrown wrenches into things.

Not really true anymore, Williams is making millions this year in advertising and NIL. He’s on national tv commercials. If he came back for his senior year he would make millions again next year. Hell, AH is right, he could transfer to OSU, UM, or Bama and make even more.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2023)

Williams and his Trojans didn't get a rave review this morning on The Dan Patrick Show.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Right now I see it as Caleb Williams (assuming he stays) and Drake Maye. The rest could play their way in or in the case of Shedur Sanders stay in college and go next year.

Why take them in the first when you can let them go later and the difference in paying them is a lot less? Will Levis lost millions by falling to the second round. If teams did what you are suggesting Levis and Hendon Hooker likely would have been first round picks.

If Hooker hadn't torn his ACL, he very well may have gone in the 1st, but he was also on the older side of rookie QBs. Levis, I don't think was a huge surprise - he turned the ball over often and was also injury prone.

Sanders isn't leaving Colorado. If McCarthy and Ewers finish the season strong, they're both 1st round talents. Jayden Daniels is a possibility. Penix and Nix, probably not.

If I'm the GM of the Bears, I'd trade Fields to somewhere like ATL. All they're missing is a QB.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not really true anymore, Williams is making millions this year in advertising and NIL. He’s on national tv commercials. If he came back for his senior year he would make millions again next year. Hell, AH is right, he could transfer to OSU, UM, or Bama and make even more.
    I guess I dont really understand how NIL works but I'd think playing in Los Angeles would bring in more money and NIL opportunities than playing in Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Tuscaloosa.

I guess I dont really understand how NIL works but I'd think playing in Los Angeles would bring in more money and NIL opportunities than playing in Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Tuscaloosa.

Seems to me that Williams is right where he needs to be to get the max out of his NIL opportunities. But are the alumni as rabid about football as they are in Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Tuscaloosa?

Nah, OSU, Michigan, and Bama get more national attention than USC. By a mile.

Also, like AH said above, I would bet money an alumb would drop a $10 mil bag on Williams to go to Bama for a year, for example. I actually think out of UM, OSU, and Bama the buckeyes would be the least likely to get him. Although, Michigan's transfer rules are rough.

Also, like AH said above, I would bet money an alumb would drop a $10 mil bag on Williams to go to Bama for a year, for example. I actually think out of UM, OSU, and Bama the buckeyes would be the least likely to get him. Although, Michigan's transfer rules are rough.
    It has been said many times that LA isn't a football town.

But LA would provide more marketing opportunities, would it not?

I don't disagree on the national attention part. But it's like LeBron going to the Lakers. Outside of the tradition there it's marketing paradise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    It has been said many times that LA isn't a football town.
    LA is a whoever is winning at the moment town and looking good while doing it.

If it's the Lakers, Dodgers, USC, Rams, Kings whoever. The Clippers and Chargers are kinda afterthoughts.

16. Likes:

Despite what it's supposed to be intended for, you don't need marketing opportunities to receive (plenty of) NIL money.

18. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Despite what it's supposed to be intended for, you don't need marketing opportunities to receive (plenty of) NIL money.
    Bingo

Turn Off Ads?