Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Bands from the Classic Rock Era ? Who's on Your List?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Underrated Bands from the Classic Rock Era ? Who's on Your List?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Here's my Supertramp question: does BIA (quadruple platinum, #1 all over the world, massive radio play) disqualify them as underrated?
    Point taken. I call Supertramp’s music underappreciated in the same way a historian might call Eisenhower’s presidency underappreciated. People were much more likely to be aware of his influence when he was alive and in the public consciousness.

There’s a baseball crossover here too. A lot of “underrated” baseball players stick around long enough that they eventually become overrated. Then, after more time passes, they once again they become properly embraced.

Craig Biggio comes to mind, for years he didn’t get his due. Then he became a media darling and we had to put up with him in his twilight years when he was a near-automatic out, playing out the string on his 3000-hit death march. Now, I think he’s underappreciated again. Should have been a first ballot hall of famer.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I always thought Atlanta Rhythm Section was underrated.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Not really. They stole their sound from.38 special, with lame British singing. And .38 special are a poppy derivation of Lynyrd skynyrd. Simple man by LS is good listening.
    Tony Lewis' voice is pretty unique. Gave the band a pretty defining sound. Btw, I love 38 Special and Lynyrd Skynyrd, as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I always thought Atlanta Rhythm Section was underrated.
    Very good band. I'm So Into You, Roy. But just not in that way.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

A band I liked in the '70's ....

“It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Very good band. I'm So Into You, Roy. But just not in that way.
    Ahem

I saw ARS at the Electric Ballroom in Atlanta sometime mid 70’s. My ex wife’s parents had moved to Atlanta so we were visiting.

Those were the days when it was considered cool to start the show way late. So they didn’t start playing till 1 am. By that time we were uber wasted by beer, pot, and ludes so I don’t remember the show much.

Another favorite of mine from the seventies and eighties. One of the first bands with the country-rock sound. Would the Eagles even exist without Poco? Meisner was in the original lineup in '68 and went on to co-found the Eagles a few years later. Without the groundwork laid by Rusty Young, Richie Furay, Jim Messina, George Grantham, and Meisner, there would have been no reason for the Eagles. Timothy B. Schmidt would also become a member of Poco. In fact, TBS , wrote and sang lead on this Poco song, which is one of my favorites. The harmonies are sublime.

Another of many Poco songs I liked. This one is a song about New Orleans. A quarter century or so after this song was released, the lyrics must have haunted the city as Katrina washed over the Crescent City.

"And the river she rises
    Just like she used to do
    She's so full of surprises
    She reminds me of you.. "

---- Bill Vaughn

9. Likes:

marcshoe (10-27-2023)

Another favorite of mine from the seventies and eighties. One of the first bands with the country-rock sound. Would the Eagles even exist without Poco? Meisner was in the original lineup in '68 and went on to co-found the Eagles a few years later. Without the groundwork laid by Rusty Young, Richie Furay, Jim Messina, George Grantham, and Meisner, there would have been no reason for the Eagles. Timothy B. Schmidt would also become a member of Poco. In fact, TBS , wrote and sang lead on this Poco song, which is one of my favorites. The harmonies are sublime.

Another of many Poco songs I liked. This one is a song about New Orleans. A quarter century or so after this song was released, the lyrics must have haunted the city as Katrina washed over the Crescent City.

"And the river she rises
    Just like she used to do
    She's so full of surprises
    She reminds me of you.. "

An ex coworker was a huge Poco fan, he would go to a Poco weekend in Missouri every year and got to be pretty friendly with a few of the members of the band.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

11. Likes:

marcshoe (11-05-2023)

A band I liked in the '70's ....

They’re local. Up until a couple years ago (and maybe still), they continued to play around here in Denver and Boulder. Jock Bartley’s ex-wife is a former co-worker. I recognize that this is a .
    Stick to your guns.

13. Likes:

GAC (12-23-2023)

Firefall had some players... guys from bigger bands.

Always was touched by the singers sentiment for settling down in the song Cinderella

Then one mornin' she came to me
    With a tear in her eye
    And a sigh on her breath and Lord
    She said "Hon, I'm heavy with child"

And I said "God damn, girl, can't you see
    That I'm breakin' my back
    Just tryin' to keep my head above water
    And it's turnin' me wild?"

Cinderella can't you see?
    Don't want your company
    You better leave this mornin', leave today
    Take your love and your child away

The epitome of the 1970's

15. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (10-28-2023)

Oh yeah, Sisters of Mercy. There's a world full of bands trying to be half as cool as they were.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    An ex coworker was a huge Poco fan, he would go to a Poco weekend in Missouri every year and got to be pretty friendly with a few of the members of the band.
    In fairness, I don’t really know Poco’s music. But back in the mid 90s when I was a struggling musician, a friend’s band was called Poco-esque by a journalist in a local rag, and that spun him into a deep depression.
    Stick to your guns.

I always liked Crazy Love by Poco. I guess I’ll have to hand in my man card for excessive cheesiness.

I always liked Dire straits. Brothers in Arms was one of my first albums.

Also a shout out to Men at Work. Their 2nd album is really good.

20. Likes:

757690 (11-10-2023),goreds2 (11-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I always liked Dire straits. Brothers in Arms was one of my first albums.

Also a shout out to Men at Work. Their 2nd album is really good.
    You probably know this, but Colin Hay has put out many solid solo albums over the past few decades.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

22. Likes:

herbdizzle (11-11-2023)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Not really. They stole their sound from.38 special, with lame British singing. And .38 special are a poppy derivation of Lynyrd skynyrd. Simple man by LS is good listening.
    The Outfield stole their sound from .38 Special? That's funny.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-11-2023)

Turn Off Ads?