Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What was your college major?

Re: What was your college major?

BA, poli sci. Emphasis on research, survey design and data analysis.

First “real” job was in billing customer service, learned some basic back end accounting on the job. Turned that into several years as a commercial credit analyst/collector, and eventually spun that into my current position as a mortgage underwriter.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Initial degree is a Masters in Architecture. Since then I've added a masters in statistics and data science. I used the 2 together for a number of years, then worked for a quant equity strategy in the predictive modeling area and in the last decade I've been involved in coding for blockchains and data analysis.

That's the stuff I've learned and done..... my real passion when I started college was football. I played 3.5 years in 5 (multiple knee injuries).
    Last edited by Dave C; 12-13-2023 at 11:39 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Political Science Honors- University South Florida

Or maybe i should say THE University of South Florida lol

Don't have a college degree. I visited my sister at Ohio State a few times though. I'm about as blue collar, midde class, working man as one can be (lol). I was a hard worker, and my calloused hands and broken body are a testament to that. From foundries to assembly lines to quality control. No regrets. Happily retired. Who wants to play a round of golf? LOL

Looking at some of the degrees some of you possess (quite impressive), I don't know if I can carry on a conversation with you any more. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-22-2023),goreds2 (12-22-2023),Ky Fried Redleg (01-01-2024),Revering4Blue (12-23-2023),Roy Tucker (01-01-2024),ShyGuy (02-03-2024)

First degree was a Bachelor's in Political Science. Worked on some political campaigns, had dreams of being a chief of staff for some stupid reason. Learned how slimy that 'industry' is and burned out fast. Didn't do it.

Had a PoliSci professor try to push me into working on a PHD and becoming a professor myself. Didn't do it.

Had every intention of going to law school. Didn't do it.

Got a Master's in Public Administration. Thought I wanted to run a non-profit (LOL - noble pursuit, but I'm soulless a capitalist) or work as a city manager. Didn't do it.

I run the procurement department for a large construction company. Not at all what I thought I'd be doing. Didn't even know it was a thing.

I love it. I get to work with some smart people on some massive projects around Columbus and central Ohio. Every job is different and unique with their own challenges. I get to buy things with other people's money.

Never be afraid to pivot and take on new challenges. Wouldn't be where I was today if I pigeonholed myself early on.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

8. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-01-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    First degree was a Bachelor's in Political Science. Worked on some political campaigns, had dreams of being a chief of staff for some stupid reason. Learned how slimy that 'industry' is and burned out fast. Didn't do it.

Had a PoliSci professor try to push me into working on a PHD and becoming a professor myself. Didn't do it.

Had every intention of going to law school. Didn't do it.

Got a Master's in Public Administration. Thought I wanted to run a non-profit (LOL - noble pursuit, but I'm soulless a capitalist) or work as a city manager. Didn't do it.

I run the procurement department for a large construction company. Not at all what I thought I'd be doing. Didn't even know it was a thing.

I love it. I get to work with some smart people on some massive projects around Columbus and central Ohio. Every job is different and unique with their own challenges. I get to buy things with other people's money.

Never be afraid to pivot and take on new challenges. Wouldn't be where I was today if I pigeonholed myself early on.
    Iv'e often heard, and this thread kind of proves it, that most people don't wind up doing what they went to college for. College wasn't for me, I had a passiion to cook (still do), so I dropped out and became a professional cook. It's worked out pretty well for me, the wife and I now own part of a little widely known deli, and I get to travel the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Don't have a college degree. I visited my sister at Ohio State a few times though. I'm about as blue collar, midde class, working man as one can be (lol). I was a hard worker, and my calloused hands and broken body are a testament to that. From foundries to assembly lines to quality control. No regrets. Happily retired. Who wants to play a round of golf? LOL

Looking at some of the degrees some of you possess (quite impressive), I don't know if I can carry on a conversation with you any more. LOL
    Says one of the true sages of Redszone. I call BS
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Says one of the true sages of Redszone. I call BS
    Isn't that a seasoning?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Isn't that a seasoning?
    Well, you are pretty well seasoned.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-24-2023),GAC (12-24-2023)

Hey man, I'm still working on my GED, but I'll get there. Life is a journey.

Computer & Information Technology, with an emphasis on software development.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Last-ever botany graduate from the University of Montana (now biology). Master's in environmental science from Miami University.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-01-2024)

I always loved math and chemistry when I was growing up. Everyone told me that I needed to do engineering, but I honestly had no clue what that really meant. Eventually I gave it a shot and got my Bachelors in Chemical Engineering.

Waited a few years to get an MBA (which, admittedly, was a “check the box before kids” degree that my employer paid for).
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering

Started but didn’t finish a Master’s Degree in said field, however I did pick up a Graduate Certificate in Power & Energy Engineering along the way thanks to coursework.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

My road to botany included changes to wildlife biology, then range management before realizing I better go back to Botany, since I had three years in that program. If I ever wanted to graduate.

I have used my degrees at times with biological surveys and working various non-profit jobs. Now I share my knowledge with my nature-touring business.

Working analyzing/reading papers in environmental science is one reason SR drives me crazy in the climate thread.

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-14-2024)

Turn Off Ads?