Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What was your college major?

Re: What was your college major?

Some good stuff on this thread. Reiterates to me life is a journey.

I know I often felt/feel frustrated my Bachelor of Arts degree didn’t prepare me better for the workforce. But it is what it is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    Some good stuff on this thread. Reiterates to me life is a journey.

I know I often felt/feel frustrated my Bachelor of Arts degree didnít prepare me better for the workforce. But it is what it is.
    I have felt the same way. It goes back to my pre-college days, when I struggled with math and chemistry. It was humiliating and convinced me I was "not smart enough" for college. When I did finally go to college I took the easiest math/science requirements I could, just to get them out of the way, but as a much more mature adult, I now realize I only needed better help than I got.

At least it made me realize that when my son encountered the same difficulties I could be supportive and help him find good tutoring.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (02-04-2024),Roy Tucker (02-04-2024)

Aristocratic Hoosier

At this juncture in my life, the lessons I learned that are actually not terribly difficult to include:

1. History is important after we reach age 40 and need to answer questions about 'why' the world is.
    2. We began our education without the ability to learn, and a lot of us still don't know how to learn.

I studied journalism and history, mostly learning how to drink beer and be the smartest person at the party without having to reveal for how I achieved that. I never focused on math or science because the pocket calculator was good enough and nobody would ever ask me to explain how a television actually works. I hire plumbers and electricians to do plumbing and wiring. I do know how to use my bank account to pay those people.

I have come out of it all with the ability to read what was written without having to listen to people who haven't done that. It's hard to pay attention when we're taught to only wait for our turn to talk. Everything else is learning to live with the lies.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Hey man, I'm still working on my GED, but I'll get there. Life is a journey.
    GED against lefties is probably one of the most under-rated stats, since lefties usually produce a wrcGED+ of less than league average against most hitters who can't hit lefties.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Way back in college I played golf with a couple of guys who had graduated about 10 years before me. The gist of what one guy told me I think remains true today. In most fields, a college degree gets you in the door. It really doesn't matter what subject it is in. Now if you want to go into engineering, well you probably need an engineering degree, if you want accounting, you need an accounting degree and so on. But anymore, if you have a good boss or mentor, you can train someone far better than paying for a MBA.
    This is absolutely the truth. Knowing how to get the job is as important as showing up for the work. College is to file off the rough edges in an undergrad environment.

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-05-2024)

They call me "chef"

I majored in schooling fools & giving their gals a thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I have felt the same way. It goes back to my pre-college days, when I struggled with math and chemistry. It was humiliating and convinced me I was "not smart enough" for college. When I did finally go to college I took the easiest math/science requirements I could, just to get them out of the way, but as a much more mature adult, I now realize I only needed better help than I got.

At least it made me realize that when my son encountered the same difficulties I could be supportive and help him find good tutoring.
    Math and science I would think in general are pretty channeling in college. A lot more so than high school. Even at the AP level.

Approaching middle age now where I think I went wrong was not thinking too deeply about where I went too college. I didn't think about stuff like campus dynamics, programs of study, and average class size among other things. I give a lot of credit to kids that have that kind of tunnel vision as teenagers. Community college would have been the better fit for me at the time but I didn't want to hear it at all then. As I said though it is what it is at this point and life is a journey.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I majored in schooling fools & giving their gals a thrill.
    Since it was you who carved out at least 2 complaints about content, one of them clearly aimed at me, I will go off my usual approach and go into some whataboutism, just to ask you:

The original comment seemed to be taken seriously by people who didn't think your dating habits were particularly germane to the topic. If this is troublesome, please inform the moderators.

Broadcasting with a journalism minor (I know how to pick dying industries). A few years ago, a guy who was in the broadcasting program with me told me that I was the only person he could find in our broadcasting classes who actually got a job in the field. One of the many times I’ve lucked out in my life.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

13. Likes:

goreds2 (02-04-2024)

They call me "chef"

FYI I deleted my other posts in this thread to make j.u.FAIRFIELD’s post seem weird and confusing, like he was quoting my only post in this thread.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    FYI I deleted my other posts in this thread to make j.u.FAIRFIELD’s post seem weird and confusing, like he was quoting my only post in this thread.
    Um ... no you didn't because I actually read the whole thing and that was your only contribution.

They call me "chef"

If I gave your gal a thrill and you have an objection over it, take it up with your gal. Likewise, if I schooled you, take it up with you. This is what I studied and majored in and it’s what I continue to do.

Turn Off Ads?