Turn Off Ads?

Thread: If I want to test the Apple Phone system.....

If I want to test the Apple Phone system.....

As a lifelong Windows/Android guy I've had a simmering urge to try the Apple Iphone system. Believe it or not AirTags are the thing that intrigues me. I've never used anything Apple. But Apple ain't cheap. I'm debating throwing a couple hundred on a older phone or an SE model.

I see a Iphone SE (3rd Gen) renewed on Amazon for $299 but it's only 4.7". What's a good way to play with the OS?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If I want to test the Apple Phone system.....

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    As a lifelong Windows/Android guy I've had a simmering urge to try the Apple Iphone system. Believe it or not AirTags are the thing that intrigues me. I've never used anything Apple. But Apple ain't cheap. I'm debating throwing a couple hundred on a older phone or an SE model.

I see a Iphone SE (3rd Gen) renewed on Amazon for $299 but it's only 4.7". What's a good way to play with the OS?
    I'm locked into Windows for all of my PC tasks due to work, but I got an iPhone around 2010, and I never looked back.

If you can wait a few weeks, I'll be back at Thanksgiving and I could send you an old iPhone 6. There isn't anything wrong with it. It was on a straight talk plan, and I have no idea about unlocking it, but it's yours if you want it.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (11-10-2023)

I'd look at anything above 8, I'm like Bernie a PC guy, but an Apple Phone user exclusively. I know the air tags work with the 8's since my wife has one, but I can't speak to older phones and their OS's, which tend to age out

It will work with an 6 as long as the os is updated above 14.6. I don't have it in front of me, but I'm sure the latest version I had was 15 or so.

7. Likes:

westofyou (11-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    It will work with an 6 as long as the os is updated above 14.6. I don't have it in front of me, but I'm sure the latest version I had was 15 or so.
    They seem to be rolling out more updates that squeeze the older phones. If my 4 still worked I'd use that, steel body, perfect size.

9. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They seem to be rolling out more updates that squeeze the older phones. If my 4 still worked I'd use that, steel body, perfect size.
    Yea, I feel like they are on a two year cycle. They are great for two years, then updates and more updates start to squeeze memory. I don't know if that is similar for other phones as I have been iPhone since the 4.

I love those SEs, but I don't like huge phones so the screen size is actually a selling point to me.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I appreciate the offer, but after seeing some reviews on the SE 3rd Gen, I think I just might try that. I have a Paypal account. My daughter's family uses my T-mobile account sends me some money monthly there. And my utility sends me $42 a quarter for charging my cars after 10 PM.

I have this theory that money is just 'play money' and doesn't count !!! So I think I might buy an SE with "play money"
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea, I feel like they are on a two year cycle. They are great for two years, then updates and more updates start to squeeze memory. I don't know if that is similar for other phones as I have been iPhone since the 4.
    A bigger issue is that software developers create updates that aren't compatible with older phones. For instance, I ran my Amex app on my iPhone 5 for years, and then it said that my current app was no longer supported. But when I tried to update it, it required a new OS that wasn't compatible with the 5. So, I bought a 6, and then the same thing happened with my Hilton app, so now I have an 11. There is plenty of memory and computing power for simple apps like this, but obviously companies like Amex and Hilton don't want to build against older os's.

Having been in the software biz, backwards compatibility has always been a problem. Testing out all features for a matrix of platforms and OS’s and versions can be quite the problem. Sometimes it’s not the vendors issue but more the OS or the platform retires certain library functions and there isn’t a 1-to-1 replacement. It can be a real headache.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

In my household:
    4 iPhones in use - 2 adults and 13/12 year olds
    1 old iPhone if one breaks
    3 iPads
    2 Apple Watches that arenít used
    2 MacBooks (one for business only)

Personally, I love Apple products and just switched to MacBooks last year. The only negative, like others have mentioned, is the fact that their software updates make older models obsolete after a few years. I donít know if thatís an issue with Android or not too. With that said, Iíve used the Apple trade in program multiple times and itís great for getting credit to purchase the newest lines.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?