Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For A Match In A Jonathan India Trade

Looking For A Match In A Jonathan India Trade

Looking For A Match In A Jonathan India Trade

The Reds enjoyed a youth movement in 2023 as exciting youngsters like Matt McLain, Spencer Steer, and Elly De La Cruz helped to push the club into unexpected contention for much of the season, though they ultimately fell short of playoffs with an 82-80 record.

The aforementioned names alongside other youngsters like Christian Encarnacion-Strand and Noelvi Marte have created something of an infield logjam for the club when taken together, however. The club’s positional mix has gotten crowded enough that the Reds do not expect to have sufficient at-bats available to allow franchise icon Joey Votto to finish his career in Cincinnati, given the roster’s current construction.

The excess of infield options makes it a no-brainer for the Reds to at least consider dealing from that surplus, and the club seemingly did at least listen on offers for 2021 NL Rookie of the Year Jonathan India, who started the season strong with a .271/.355/.439 slash line through 73 games but battled plantar fasciitis throughout the second half, with a slash line of just .201/.312/.356 in 205 trips to the plate the rest of the way.

With India unlikely to move off second base in favor of another position on the diamond and the Reds reportedly interested in acquiring additional infield talent it’s fairly reasonable to expect India to once again be available this offseason, particularly given the club’s dire need for a reliable starting pitcher to pair with Hunter Greene at the front of their rotation.

While it might seem prudent to hold onto India in hopes that a full, healthy campaign from the 26-year-old in 2024 could increase his trade value, the sparse free agent class in terms of middle infield options could make India a more valuable commodity on the open market than he might otherwise seem to be.

Continue Reading:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...dia-trade.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-12-2023 at 08:11 PM.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-12-2023),wlf WV (11-12-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looking For A Match In A Jonathan India Trade

The Article above names these teams as best fits for an India trade

Dodgers: Among the clear best fits for India is the Dodgers, who were forced to move superstar outfielder Mookie Betts to the infield dirt for much of the 2023 season.J

Mariners: Seattle is another clear fit for India’s services. The Reds and Mariners have gotten together on several deals in recent years,

White Sox, Blue Jays, Brewers, and Tigers

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-12-2023),wlf WV (11-12-2023)

I’d rather stay away from dealing with the Dodgers. Blue Jays, Mariners, White Sox all seem like good possible matches.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-12-2023),Ron Madden (11-13-2023),wlf WV (11-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I’d rather stay away from dealing with the Dodgers. Blue Jays, Mariners, White Sox all seem like good possible matches.
    Who would you target in trade talks from the Blue Jays, Mariners and White Sox?

I haven't given it any thought yet.

They call me "chef"

Has it been long enough now that we could trade India to the Dodgers for Jose Peraza Jr.?

10. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-13-2023),Chip R (11-16-2023)

Article mentions Cease as a target.

I'd do India and something like Ty Floyd or Lyon Richardson for Dylan Cease. New regime on the South Side, who knows what they're thinking...
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-13-2023),Ron Madden (11-12-2023)

The names in this article are better than I and many here expected the Reds could get for India. It seems the rest of the league doesn’t view India as a weak fielding backup with no position.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-12-2023)

They call me "chef"

Gonna be embarrassing for haters when another team takes India and gives up a good player.

I saw somebody suggest the name Bryan Woo from the Mariners. He was a very fast mover in the Mariners system who made 18 starts as a rookie last year with a 4.36 ERA that was in line with his peripherals. He's got a great fastball and developing change, spike slider, and cutter. He's got solid mid-rotation potential that plays right now. And he could easily slide into the back of the bullpen too.

I have no idea what the Mariners are looking to do precisely, but India + a solid prospect like Arroyo or Collier seems like an offer that would be fair value.

I'm not a fan of the Dylan Cease idea. You get him for his last two arb years and then he's a Boras client. His FB velo took a step back last year and his performance took a step back. I mean, he'd definitely make the team better and he's a big disc golf guy, which is cool with me. But if I'm spending both payroll and trade capital, I'd want more upside. Otherwise, just put that money toward a FA.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-12-2023 at 09:12 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

17. Likes:

mth123 (11-13-2023),Old school 1983 (11-13-2023),Ron Madden (11-12-2023),SirFelixCat (11-13-2023),wlf WV (11-13-2023)

I'd much rather trade Collier than Arroyo, FWIW. Pretty sure the Reds agree, I don't they'll move Arroyo unless it's for a true impact player.

India and Collier would presumably net....something meaningful.

19. Likes:

lollipopcurve (11-13-2023),mth123 (11-13-2023),Redsfan6272 (11-12-2023),Ron Madden (11-12-2023)

If Jonathan India were on another team, I think Reds fans would be very wary of trading very much of anything for him. He's put up less than 2 WAR combined in the last two full seasons and while he's young, he's not young. Entering his age 27 season, there's no real good reason to expect his skill level to increase further.

It's hard to find good comps, but maybe Alex Manoah, Josiah Gray, Triston McKenzie, Brendan Rodgers, Alex Bohm. What are you offering for those types of guys?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

21. Likes:

mth123 (11-13-2023),REDREAD (11-13-2023),Ron Madden (11-12-2023)

Reds' infield logjam presents thorny decisions

Cincinnati's infield group has Jonathan India, Elly De La Cruz, Matt McLain, Spencer Steer, Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Noelvi Marte and Nick Senzel. During the General Managers Meetings in Arizona this past week, MLB Network's Jon Paul Morosi noted multiple teams have inquired to the Reds about India's trade availability.

In previous offseasons, president of baseball operations Nick Krall has been willing to hear reasonable offers for any player. However, it didn't appear that Krall was overly interested in dealing from his infield depth including India to acquire help in other areas.

“I think we could, but I don’t think there’s a reason to do it at this point," Krall told reporters, "You have injuries. I want to make sure we have enough quality depth to withstand some of that stuff. That’s going to help our club at the end of the day.”

Krall cited the young infielders needing playing time when the Reds moved on from Votto by not picking up his club option on Nov. 5.

Another decision is coming this week with the non-tender deadline on Friday. The Reds will have to decide whether to offer the arbitration-eligible Senzel a contract. If they don’t, he becomes a free agent.

https://view.mail.mlblists.com/messa...d25ba9c5a3/raw

I believe this quote from Krall explains the rumour about the Reds being interested in Jeimer Candelario.

"I think we could, but I don’t think there’s a reason to do it at this point," Krall told reporters, "You have injuries. I want to make sure we have enough quality depth to withstand some of that stuff. That’s going to help our club at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Article mentions Cease as a target.

I'd do India and something like Ty Floyd or Lyon Richardson for Dylan Cease. New regime on the South Side, who knows what they're thinking...
    I would love to do a deal of India + prospects for Cease, but it doesn't seem logical for the White Sox.
    If the White Sox are going to rebuild, and thus trade Cease, why would they target India, who has roughly the same amount of control as Cease does? India has 3 years of service time, Cease has 4 years, 89 days of service time.. So I guess they'd get one more year of India.
    I would think the White Sox would want prospects only, unless the Reds were basically willing to give them India for free as a toss in to balance salaries or something. Ie.. White Sox ask for prospects X and Y. Reds say, ok, we'll give you X and Y, but can you take India too in order to balance salaries. Note, I'm not saying the Reds WILL do that, that's just an example to illustrate the point.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

24. Likes:

mth123 (11-13-2023)

Would you deal India straight up for Alek Manoah? He seems to be on the way out of Toronto. Really good 2 years ago.

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-13-2023)

I think the Reds are in a situation where India has more value as a cheap insurance policy against injury or sophomore slumps than he does as a trade chip. Any team trading for him is likely in win now mode so it may be difficult to pry any SP away even with a good prospect included. I think if we're trading India on his own the biggest potential return would be trying to hunt the next Luis Castillo or a future starting C and deal for a prospect. In the trade market the Reds should be looking for players that would be difficult/expensive to acquire in the open market. I think they could sign a RP or corner OF in FA without much issue.

28. Likes:

Benihana (11-13-2023),JustaFan (11-15-2023),MoneyInTheBank (11-13-2023),Old school 1983 (11-13-2023),REDREAD (11-13-2023),RiverRat13 (11-13-2023)

Turn Off Ads?