Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds: Rece Hinds. Every team's hardest roster decision ahead of the Rule 5 Draft.

Reds: Rece Hinds. Every team's hardest roster decision ahead of the Rule 5 Draft.

Reds: Rece Hinds, OF (No. 10)
    Hinds has had a power-over-hit profile since the Reds went over slot to sign him in the second round of the 2019 Draft, and he had to deal with multiple injuries that kept him from getting needed reps. Relatively healthy in 2023, the outfielder showed the power might play, with 23 homers in Double-A (.536 SLG) to go along with 20 steals. His 151/34 K/BB ratio points to him perhaps not being ready for the big leagues, but the Reds would have to decide to roll the dice that another team won’t try to let that pop play in 2024.

https://www.mlb.com/news/toughest-ru...decisions-2023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds: Rece Hinds. Every team's hardest roster decision ahead of the Rule 5 Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Reds: Rece Hinds, OF (No. 10)
    Hinds has had a power-over-hit profile since the Reds went over slot to sign him in the second round of the 2019 Draft, and he had to deal with multiple injuries that kept him from getting needed reps. Relatively healthy in 2023, the outfielder showed the power might play, with 23 homers in Double-A (.536 SLG) to go along with 20 steals. His 151/34 K/BB ratio points to him perhaps not being ready for the big leagues, but the Reds would have to decide to roll the dice that another team won’t try to let that pop play in 2024.

https://www.mlb.com/news/toughest-ru...decisions-2023
    Seems ridiculous to call this difficult. Reds have plenty of room and only a couple of must protect guys. Hinds is one of them.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

4. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-14-2023),HokieRed (11-14-2023),JCM11 (11-14-2023),Old school 1983 (11-14-2023),RedTeamGo! (11-14-2023),Tom Servo (11-14-2023)

Re: Reds: Rece Hinds. Every team's hardest roster decision ahead of the Rule 5 Draft.

Yeah, Reds would be crazy to not protect him. However, I would look to trade him for pitching.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Seems ridiculous to call this difficult. Reds have plenty of room and only a couple of must protect guys. Hinds is one of them.
    Agreed. J. Mayo pretty lazy with this one. Failed to note the explosive transition in Hinds' AA season, instead submitting some season-end counting stats. For a supposed prospect pundit, fail.

Hinds is a lock to be protected.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-14-2023)

I agree with the consensus that Hinds gets protected, but on a larger picture note, it strikes me funny how every year these guys like Mayo get paid to write these articles to create buzz that amounts to pretty much zero. 5-6 guys will be taken in the rule 5 out of all 30 teams having the opportunity and out of those 5-6 there likely won't be more than 1 or 2 see a MLB opening day roster. The post season sure does leave baseball fans desperate for anything to talk about.

Hinds is an easy choice, IMO, for a roster spot. (This assumes he's not dealt.)

His last three months were nearly exactly what we were all clamoring for before the season began.

More than 300 PA with a K rate of just a hare over 25%? Fine-- as long as he's showing the power that he showed. That leap in development makes him interesting enough to keep.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-14-2023)

I think Roa and Acuna are more difficult decisions. Barrero, Fairchild, and Martini are out of options so they must make the opening day roster, IL, or be DFA'd. It might make sense for the Reds to make an early decision.

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-14-2023)

Roa K'd 12.7 over 120 innings last year. I don't see how the org. can leave him unprotected. I'd protect him over all three of Barrero, Fairchild, and Martini, and maybe before Hinds (though I think protecting Hinds is a an easy call). I would predict that K rate, especially as sustained over a pretty fair number of innings, will get Roa taken by somebody.

15. Likes:

wally post (11-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Roa K'd 12.7 over 120 innings last year. I don't see how the org. can leave him unprotected. I'd protect him over all three of Barrero, Fairchild, and Martini, and maybe before Hinds (though I think protecting Hinds is a an easy call). I would predict that K rate, especially as sustained over a pretty fair number of innings, will get Roa taken by somebody.
    Too, opposing teams can play with IL time to keep a guy like that all season.

17. Likes:

HokieRed (11-14-2023)

The reds protected Hinds, Roa, and Hurtubise by adding them to the 40-man today.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

19. Likes:

Gallen5862 (11-17-2023),ochoa30 (11-15-2023)

Turn Off Ads?