Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds select Hinds, Roa, Hurtibise

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Reds select Hinds, Roa, Hurtibise

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...hurtubise.html

The Reds announced that they have added three players to their 40-man roster ahead of the 5:00 pm CT Rule 5 deadline: outfielder Rece Hinds, right-hander Christian Roa, and outfielder Jacob Hurtubise. Their 40-man is now full.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

757690 (11-14-2023),goreds2 (11-14-2023),REDREAD (11-14-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Reds select Hinds, Roa, Hurtibise

No surprises there.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Would be cool if Heard of Bees becomes a dude
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    No surprises there.
    A little surprised at Roa just because the numbers are pretty stinky, but obviously not shocked they chose to protect a second rounder from just a few years ago.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

8. Likes:

malcontent (11-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    A little surprised at Roa just because the numbers are pretty stinky, but obviously not shocked they chose to protect a second rounder from just a few years ago.
    That's got to be what it is. No way they would put a guy with those numbers on the 40-man if they hadn't already invested second-round money in him.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 11-15-2023 at 04:08 PM.

He sustained a 12.7 K per 9 over 120 innings. Can't let that go.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-15-2023)

I see around 10-12 guys on the current 40 man who could easily be cut. You have Reiver, Stoudt, Antone, Duarte, Law, Legumina, Spiers, Young, Barrero, and Hopkins. That's 10 with a potential non tender of Senzel and trade of India. There's plenty of room to improve this roster. As of now I only see two catchers on the 40 man and one of those two stinks at catching. They need to bring in a viable veteran backstop for depth.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-15-2023),mth123 (11-15-2023)

Antone, Young, Barrero, and Hopkins would all be gone. Now some may think no big deal, but that is a ton of mlb/AAA depth, and every team needs that. Antone would be snatched in a heartbeat. Barrero would be an Athletic almost immediately. Hopkins looks like the 4th OF every team kinda wants... KC would snatch him. Young was really good for a lot of last season. He's LH, so, 29 teams would be in on him.

I love prospects and the new car smell they have. I'm geeked about the IF the Reds will be trotting out next year, and honestly, the OF too. But depth is needed and the Reds know these guys.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-15-2023),Old school 1983 (11-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Antone, Young, Barrero, and Hopkins would all be gone. Now some may think no big deal, but that is a ton of mlb/AAA depth, and every team needs that. Antone would be snatched in a heartbeat. Barrero would be an Athletic almost immediately. Hopkins looks like the 4th OF every team kinda wants... KC would snatch him. Young was really good for a lot of last season. He's LH, so, 29 teams would be in on him.

I love prospects and the new car smell they have. I'm geeked about the IF the Reds will be trotting out next year, and honestly, the OF too. But depth is needed and the Reds know these guys.
    They know they all stink. The point is to upgrade the 40 man roster. If they can't upgrade a TJ Hopkins(who went 7 for 41) or 2 innings per year Antone then what are we even doing here? Barrero had his chance and the Reds have 3 guys who can play SS with a 4th on the way. They have no use for Barrero anymore. I would hope they could find a better lefty than Young who had a 4.99 FIP and 1.36 WHIP last year. He seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (11-18-2023),Kingspoint (11-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I agree with the sentiment, but Barrero can go to the A's. Hopkins is nothing. Antone I think you have to keep around for one more year to see if he can get healthy. They have a lot of guys they can jettison.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

MrRedSkull (11-16-2023),Tom Servo (11-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, but Barrero can go to the A's. Hopkins is nothing. Antone I think you have to keep around for one more year to see if he can get healthy. They have a lot of guys they can jettison.
    And replace with who?

My point is depth at AAA is a thing, and the Reds have it. If Barrero has to come up for 2 weeks in May, I won't sweat that too much. I'm not sure you find his replacement so readily. If you do, its a guy on the wrong side of 33 with limited everything. Barrero showed some of why he was once the Reds' top prospect this year at AAA. I'm not eager to send him packing, but I'm not looking at him like he's a starter for the Reds either. He's either depth or a piece of a larger trade. Not a principle piece, but he's there.

I think we tend to view everything like it's a 1 or 0 in terms of what makes up a good organization. Lots of decimals in between. I think you can look at Barrero and see a MLB utility guy with the upside to be a starter.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I would add Fairchild to that list.

Roa had a weird season. One start he would give 1 hit and strike out 9 over 5 innings and the next week he would give up 6 runs in 2 innings. The whole season was like that. I think his September in AAA where he was like a 3.5 era with 35Ks in 20 innings along with the number of really strong starts he had was enough to earn him another year.

Opening day he is going to be 25. He pretty much is what he’s going to be. If he is still up and down by June, put him in the pen and see what you have. If the answer is “not much” I have no concerns walking away at that point

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Agreed. Doug did a nice cover of what to expect.

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/202...ncinnati-reds/
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

If I were looking to trim the 40 to make room (for FA's and rule 5), I would look at the 'out of options' and 'non tenders' first.

25. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-15-2023),mth123 (11-15-2023)

Turn Off Ads?