Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 high-priced alternatives the Reds could sign after missing out on Sonny Gray

3 high-priced alternatives the Reds could sign after missing out on Sonny Gray

The Cincinnati Reds were never the favorites to sign Sonny Gray, but it’s safe to assume that president of baseball operations Nick Krall at least kicked around the idea of a reunion with the All-Star starter.

But instead, Gray is set to sign with the Reds’ NL Central rival, the St. Louis Cardinals. For all intents an purposes, St. Louis has done what they set out to do this offseason – shore up their starting rotation

The Reds, on the other hand, have been quiet during the early going this offseason. With Gray now off the board, if the Reds were to invest some money into the free agent market, which high-priced free agent pitchers could be on Cincinnati’s radar?

1. Reds could sign Eduardo Rodriguez
    2. Reds could sign Seth Lugo
    3. Reds could sign Marcus Stroman

1. Eduardo Rodriguez won’t blow you away with his fastball, but the 30-year-old does a nice job of getting soft contact and inducing a decent number of ground balls.

Sonny Gray’s deal is reportedly worth an AAV of $25 million.
    If the Reds could secure a pitcher like Rodriguez for a three-year/$62-million contract, that could greatly bolster Cincinnati’s starting rotation heading into 2024.

2. Seth Lugo’s experience as a starter and reliever could help the Cincinnati Reds in 2024 and into the future. If the young crop of Reds hurlers prove that they’ve got what it takes to be part of the rotation, then Lugo could be shifted into a relief role.

However, if one or more of Cincinnati’s young pitchers struggles to gain a foothold in the majors, Lugo could step in as a solid piece of the Reds rotation. Adding Lugo would be a tremendous addition to the Reds roster.

3. Marcus Stroman is a name that, for some reason, isn’t getting much love throughout Reds Country. Perhaps it’s because the right-hander spent the past two seasons pitching for the Chicago Cubs.

But a closer look at Stroman’s stats might suggest that he’d be the perfect pitcher to take the mound at Great American Ball Park. Stroman owned 57.4-percent ground ball-rate in 2023, which put him among the 94th percentile according to Baseball Savant.

Though he struggled with command from time to time in 2023, Stroman typically does a very good job of keeping free runners off the base paths – something that haunted the Cincinnati Reds last season.
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://blogredmachine.com/posts/red...y-gray-marcus-
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-27-2023 at 02:58 PM.

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (11-27-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 high-priced alternatives the Reds could sign after missing out on Sonny Gray

Not trying to be difficult, but is there any news on if the Gray deal is a go with the Cards? I’m just seeing reports that they are expected to finalize a deal today, not that it’s done.

Re: 3 high-priced alternatives the Reds could sign after missing out on Sonny Gray

I'm not complaining, but why would you link finchannel.com instead of BlogRedMachine, where it's originally from?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Not trying to be difficult, but is there any news on if the Gray deal is a go with the Cards? I’m just seeing reports that they are expected to finalize a deal today, not that it’s done.
    The deal is probably pending a physical, and it would be shocking if it doesn't become official at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The deal is probably pending a physical, and it would be shocking if it doesn't become official at this point.
    Fair enough. MLB trade rumors usually uses language like Cards to sign rather than working to finalize. It’s probably nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Fair enough. MLB trade rumors usually uses language like Cards to sign rather than working to finalize. It’s probably nothing.
    The official MLB twitter account has announced it.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://blogredmachine.com/posts/red...y-gray-marcus-
    20+ mil a year... Are you trying to give the poor minor share holders heart attacks?!?! That's their rightful retirement planning right there! There's no reason to go to such crazy lengths and still win about the same number of games with the minimum wage earners.

I still hold out some hope we might go for someone on a low risk (less money) high reward potential like Luis Severino sitting under the learning tree of Derek Johnson maybe we could find some way to strike closer to pre 2019 version of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Supposedly pursuing Glasnow, which would be a mistake, not to mention CIN/TB are not good fits as trade partners.

And they’re a hell of a lot better at finding value on QVC than are we.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

12. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Supposedly pursuing Glasnow, which would be a mistake, not to mention CIN/TB are not good fits as trade partners.

And they’re a hell of a lot better at finding value on QVC than are we.
    I give Krall credit, he found a lot of value in the fire sale and deals like Benson. To me he's at the point that Krivsky was in 2008. He has to prove he can do more than stock the shelves he has to show now he can actually get this team to that next step.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

14. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-28-2023),Old school 1983 (11-27-2023)

The news of us being runners up on Gray gives me vibes of "We'd be happy to spend a bunch of money in total, but we're not willing to pay fair market price on any player in particular (until only scraps are left)."

While I'd certainly love to have Glasnow in a bubble, I hate the idea of giving up both a big chunk of payroll and young talent to address gaps that could be filled directly without that talent cost.

Trading for Glasnow while Eduardo Rodriguez and Jordan Montgomery are still unsigned seems short-sighted.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-28-2023),malcontent (11-28-2023),Red Raindog (11-30-2023),REDREAD (11-27-2023),Ron Madden (11-27-2023),TRF (11-29-2023),wally post (11-27-2023)

I wanna see them get a pitcher both starter and reliever .
    But I never wanted Gray. Too injury prone and he isn't a spring chicken. IMO this deal will not be a good one for the Cardinals.

18. Likes:

malcontent (11-28-2023),NebraskaRed (11-27-2023),TexasRedsFan (11-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I wanna see them get a pitcher both starter and reliever .
    But I never wanted Gray. Too injury prone and he isn't a spring chicken. IMO this deal will not be a good one for the Cardinals.
    He's averaged 27 starts a year the last three years, so I don't know how "injury prone" he is.

20. Likes:

Redeyecat (11-28-2023),REDREAD (11-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    He's averaged 27 starts a year the last three years, so I don't know how "injury prone" he is.
    https://www.si.com/fannation/bringme...ime-with-twins

Sonny Gray lands on the injured list for 3rd time with Twins
    Sonny Gray recent injury report:

9/19/22
    Hamstring

9/2/22
    Hamstring

5/29/22
    Pectoral

4/16/22
    Hamstring

7/8/21
    Rib cage

6/8/21
    Groin

4/1/21
    Back

9/11/20
    Right mid-back

24 starts, 119 IP in 2022
    26 starts 135 Ip in 2021
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

22. Likes:

Redeyecat (11-28-2023)

Averaging 27 starts is now durable? Game has changed for starters sure. No need to tell me or remind me again. But averaging under 28 starts is not being durable. 30/170-180 is the new 33-35/210-220 apparently and he was not even doing that. So while I would have like to have Gray. He’s not durable enough for 3 years at 75 million.
    he better be 2019 Sonny Gray for them. The low bar expectations for starters is getting into ridiculous territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Averaging 27 starts is now durable? Game has changed for starters sure. No need to tell me or remind me again. But averaging under 28 starts is not being durable. 30/170-180 is the new 33-35/210-220 apparently and he was not even doing that. So while I would have like to have Gray. He’s not durable enough for 3 years at 75 million.
    he better be 2019 Sonny Gray for them. The low bar expectations for starters is getting into ridiculous territory.
    Its because there are 150 starting rotation spots that need filled and only about 70 major league caliber guys to fill them. Gray isn't going to be confused with Tom Seaver or Juan Marichal, but he's definitely in the upper portion of that list of 70 names and would clearly be the first name on that list on this staff had they signed him. The only reason it was just three years is because he's 34 and wanted to play close to his Tennessee home (the Reds also qualify there). Anybody else on that list of 70 names who would be the top guy in Cincy is going to take 6 or 7 years IMO and a much larger/ riskier overall dollar commitment.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Turn Off Ads?