Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz Is Ready To Play Wherever Reds Need Him In 2024

Re: Elly De La Cruz Is Ready To Play Wherever Reds Need Him In 2024

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well, I'm looking for more selfish behavior myself from guys next year and I'm not seeing anything here that piques my interest or curiosity.
    I'm telling you that speed, that arm... Right Field. Less of a learning curve on reading balls on the fly if we're going to try and move someone else. I still think the time for crap like that though is when they're in AA not expected to be a cornerstone of the franchise for at least 3-4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Likes:

Marc D (12-03-2023),Red Oak (12-03-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Keep him at third.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I think a Marte-EDLC-McLain-CES infield has a chance to be really good defensively if EDLC develops more at SS.

He'd win a GG in RF, though, and I get the temptation to try him in CF.
    I always wanted to see his arm in RF. The only reason I wouldn't want him in RF is it takes his SH bat out of the IF. But that may not be reason enough with the DH available for a LHH.

Haven't they already said they won't move him to the OF?
    Last edited by malcontent; 12-03-2023 at 12:50 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

K-rate is pretty alarming, but I think an offseason to work on refining his game will do wonders for a guy with obvious elite talent.

I think he’s a 4-5 WAR player in 2024 - and that’s gonna make it hilarious when certain posters show up to gloat whenever he makes an out.

Sounds to me like Elly is open to pitching. He plays the field for seven innings, sets up for Diaz in the eighth, then back to the field.

I’m kidding, obviously.

Kind of.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

8. Likes:

Powder River (12-04-2023),Red Oak (12-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Sounds to me like Elly is open to pitching. He plays the field for seven innings, sets up for Diaz in the eighth, then back to the field.

I’m kidding, obviously.

Kind of.
    We know he can bring it, and his release would seem like he's 40 feet from the plate.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

10. Likes:

Powder River (12-04-2023),Sabo Fan (12-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I'm telling you that speed, that arm... Right Field. Less of a learning curve on reading balls on the fly if we're going to try and move someone else. I still think the time for crap like that though is when they're in AA not expected to be a cornerstone of the franchise for at least 3-4 years.
    I find the reads much more difficult in the corner OF. Reads are easier in CF but is much more physically demanding
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

12. Likes:

mth123 (12-03-2023),RedsBaron (12-03-2023),Ron Madden (12-03-2023)

I don't care what position he plays. He has been a disaster at the plate. After the asb, he was a real liability at the plate. I do think though that he would be interesting in center field.

14. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (12-03-2023),UK Reds Fan (12-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    According to the article Elly as been working on his pitch recognition
    Both of these will help. He seemed to have a hard time adjusting to the late breaking ball of ML pitching. Cutting down on his swing might help too.

Getting EDLC entrenched in a corner OF spot would help him and the Reds, I think. Allows Marte to settle into 3B, and McLain at SS, which makes a great left side of the infield.

Elly De La Cruz Is Ready To Play Wherever Reds Need Him In 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    Getting EDLC entrenched in a corner OF spot would help him and the Reds, I think. Allows Marte to settle into 3B, and McLain at SS, which makes a great left side of the infield.
    I agree, except I would play him in CF or possibly RF. I wouldn’t want to waste that cannon arm in LF. Plus in CF there’s only 1 wall he could run into, the one behind him. With the way he plays, injuries would be my only concern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiferJim; 12-03-2023 at 04:59 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

NL Central Notes:

The Reds have so many promising young infielders both in the minors and already on the MLB roster that it remains to be seen how exactly Cincinnati will line up these players around the diamond.

Elly De La Cruz has no problem with a potential position change, telling the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Charlie Goldsmith that “wherever the team needs me, that’s where I’m going to play….For me, it doesn’t matter where I play. I just want to play. I’m going to have fun wherever I am. I just want to play as much as possible.”

Though Edwin Arroyo might end up being the longer-term defensive answer at shortstop, the Reds seem likely to use De La Cruz and Noelvi Marte at third base and shortstop in some fashion in 2024.

though Matt McLain could very well figure into the shortstop plans as well if he isn’t at second base (or if Jonathan India isn’t traded).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...s-glasnow.html

EDLC is one of, if not the best, athletes in MLB. He got here and flashed what he can do with pure athleticism. The fundamentals are what's lacking at this point. Defensively, he's shows his athleticism but often isn't in the right spot... his throws that reach 95+ come with a long wind up that negates them largely. At the plate hit just about any pitch out of the park in the minors but "stuff" at the MLB level is a massive jump better and teams have 11 camera's of video on you and how you react to every pitch.

Had he struggled initially and ended where he did it would be legit to question his promise. I think we'll find out a lot in the first 1/3 of next year on the "learning" of the game that he needs to do. I see the desire in him to do it. It might take longer than we'd like but I still see a player that can change any game at the plate, in the field or on the bases. He's going to need time to get there however.

As for SS or 3B. His arm and athleticism seems made for CF. One of the most impressive things we saw defensively from him was how he tracked pop ups and foul balls from the SS position. The thoughts of him getting injured in the field are misplaced to me. He's much more likely to get hurt the way he plays on the bases to me. Either way I play him anywhere and not worry about injuries. That seems to be overthinking it to me.

20. Likes:

Chip R (12-05-2023),JustaFan (12-11-2023),LiferJim (12-03-2023),mth123 (12-03-2023),ochoa30 (12-03-2023),RiverfrontRed (12-04-2023),wally post (12-04-2023)

I'm not in the camp so eager to move EDLC off the infield dirt. If his offense reaches just a portion of his potential, that makes him a real asset at short, and not so much so in the outfield. I realize Arroyo is seen as the superior fielder to all the Reds current infielders, but he only has 20 at-bats in AA. Let him prove he can hit first before deciding who to move where.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I'm not in the camp so eager to move EDLC off the infield dirt. If his offense reaches just a portion of his potential, that makes him a real asset at short, and not so much so in the outfield. I realize Arroyo is seen as the superior fielder to all the Reds current infielders, but he only has 20 at-bats in AA. Let him prove he can hit first before deciding who to move where.
    Not sure about that. It's a lot easier right now to find a SS who can hit than it is a CF who can.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

23. Likes:

Dave C (12-04-2023)

Turn Off Ads?