Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Elly De La Cruz Is Ready To Play Wherever Reds Need Him In 2024

Re: Elly De La Cruz Is Ready To Play Wherever Reds Need Him In 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Why on earth would the Sox give up a guy they just acquired who has extreme MLB proven upside and one of their top 5 prospects for Fraley or Fraley and a lower level prospect?
    Because Fraley is a meaningfully better player?

They’re the same age, and Fraley has OPS’d 100 points higher than O’Neill over the last two seasons.

In fact if you take out the 21 season, O’Neill is a sub .700 corner OF that has already been given up on by two organizations. He doesn’t have a lot of trade value.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Because Fraley is a meaningfully better player?

They’re the same age, and Fraley has OPS’d 100 points higher than O’Neill over the last two seasons.

In fact if you take out the 21 season, O’Neill is a sub .700 corner OF that has already been given up on by two organizations. He doesn’t have a lot of trade value.
    It was thinking that Teel would be the part of the trade that didn’t make sense for the Sox.

To me, it's not about the other infield candidates being better than Elly. It's that Elly seems to be the one best suited to adapt to the outfield. I've always thought he has Gold Glove-quality CF potential.

I also really like Arroyo's game. If he's one of you eight best regulars, I see him as the best glove at shortstop.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-11-2023 at 07:33 AM.

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My guess is Elly stays in the infield most of the season, but plays CF around a dozen times due to injury and matchups.
    If they are considering it then he should be playing it in ST. And Krall has stated that it's possible one of the team's rising stars may start the season at AAA. Could it be Elly? In the second half (July-Sept) his line was .... .212 .285 .370 .655 He was looking lost at the plate, and especially vs LHers. I could see Candy at 3B McClain at SS India at 2B CES at 1B - along with Bell's normal rotation of position players - to start the season.

So what happens with Friedl? You just cast aside the guy who may have been the team MVP last season? It would be nice if he was a righty, then you could move him to LF. We need a RH'd bat in the OF, and it's not Fairchild (lol). I really have no issues with Steer in LF. If Bench with bad knees, Dunn, and Wiley Mo can play there - then so can Spencer (lol).
    Last edited by GAC; 12-11-2023 at 09:27 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

JustaFan (12-11-2023)

I believe EDLC could become a very good defensive shortstop. With his long strides he can cover much ground. His arm allows for long throws with high velocity. There’s no doubt that EDLC struggled at short last season, but he’s so so young. To me, it’s just premature to move him.

If anything, I’d consider third base, but with the recent Candelario pickup, the Reds are flush with third basemen.

So I’d give it another season with EDLC/McLain as the main DP combination. I wouldn’t move him to the OF. I’d sooner move Marte to OF, and I’m not a big fan of that either. Give these young guys a little time to break into the big leagues.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-11-2023 at 09:36 AM.

9. Likes:

GAC (12-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    What's Elly going to be worth in 6 years?
    Hopefully, a lot.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

11. Likes:

JCM11 (12-11-2023),RiverRat13 (12-11-2023),WrongVerb (12-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If they are considering it then he should be playing it in ST. And Krall has stated that it's possible one of the team's rising stars may start the season at AAA. Could it be Elly? In the second half (July-Sept) his line was .... .212 .285 .370 .655 He was looking lost at the plate, and especially vs LHers. I could see Candy at 3B McClain at SS India at 2B CES at 1B - along with Bell's normal rotation of position players - to start the season.

So what happens with Friedl? You just cast aside the guy who may have been the team MVP last season? It would be nice if he was a righty, then you could move him to LF. We need a RH'd bat in the OF, and it's not Fairchild (lol). I really have no issues with Steer in LF. If Bench with bad knees, Dunn, and Wiley Mo can play there - then so can Spencer (lol).
    If EDLC moves to CF, the presumption is Marte moves to second with CES at 1B and Candelario at 3B. That would open DH for Steer and Freidl, EDLC and the RF of the day (say Benson) would man the OF. Of course, Arroyo's arrival might further complicate that and if Blake Dunn shows last year was for real, he as well.

Freidl, EDLC and Fraley or Benson has the potential of being the best defensive OF we've seen around here in a long, long time.

The Reds want to play the churn and replenish game, so India and Fraley (and Stephenson who doesn't really factor into the logjam) are likely gone by the time Arroyo arrives and Freidl is likely the next guy to go after them.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-11-2023 at 10:07 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I believe EDLC could become a very good defensive shortstop. With his long strides he can cover much ground. His arm allows for long throws with high velocity. Thereís no doubt that EDLC struggled at short last season, but heís so so young. To me, itís just premature to move him.
    I agree with this. Very, very young.

Not that he wouldn't be a solid CFer (at least defensively); but where did this idea of moving Elly to CF come from? Fan desire on social media? If there hasn't been any word or rumor of this from this FO - who has talked with India about learning other positions - then it's not relevant to the discussion IMO (lol).

Respectfully. Lets stick to reality. And until Krall or someone in this FO mentions it, it isn't a reality.

I thought this article from last January was interesting though... https://blogredmachine.com/posts/red...zz-chisholm-jr
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If EDLC moves to CF, the presumption is Marte moves to second with CES at 1B and Candelario at 3B. That would open DH for Steer and Freidl, EDLC and the RF of the day (say Benson) would man the OF. Of course, Arroyo's arrival might further complicate that and if Blake Dunn shows last year was for real, he as well.

Freidl, EDLC and Fraley or Benson has the potential of being the best defensive OF we've seen around here in a long, long time.

The Reds want to play the churn and replenish game, so India and Fraley (and Stephenson who doesn't really factor into the logjam) are likely gone by the time Arroyo arrives and Freidl is likely the next guy to go after them.
    Everyone gives Steer crap because he plays 5 positions poorly; but can hit the crap out of the ball (lol).

Sounds like DH material to me, with occasional playing time as needed.

note: guess we could say the same for India

I'm not against versatility but I'd sure like to see these guys master at least one position before playing another part time. This wasn't a good defensive team last year. Some of it can be chalked up to inexperience but usually inexperienced players that have defensive shortcomings get their reps there before they are shuffled elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

GAC (12-12-2023),mth123 (12-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not against versatility but I'd sure like to see these guys master at least one position before playing another part time. This wasn't a good defensive team last year. Some of it can be chalked up to inexperience but usually inexperienced players that have defensive shortcomings get their reps there before they are shuffled elsewhere.
    Ever hear of jack of all trades and master of none? It's a saying for a reason.

18. Likes:

Chip R (12-12-2023),GAC (12-13-2023)

Graham Ashcraft Praises Elly De La Cruz: 'Dude's Just a Spark'

Elly De La Cruz quickly became one of the biggest stars in baseball last season.

From hitting for the cycle to stealing home, the 21-year-old is electric. He's one of the rare must-watch players in the game today.

Reds starting pitcher Graham Ashcraft agrees. He recently praised De La Cruz during an appearance on MLB Network.

"You watch this kid play ball. Seeing somebody that fast run is insane," Ashcraft said. "When he stole home against the Brewers, we were all sitting there watching him, stole third base and you're like alright.' He starts walking a little bit, takes his helmet off, he keeps walking and you're like 'don't do it.' And next thing you know, he takes off and he was safe."

"The dude's just a spark. That's the best way to put it," Ashcraft said. "He gives you that little energy that's gonna get everybody going just cause you never know when he's gonna make a diving play, throw the ball 100 [miles per hour] across the infield or steal a base that we need.

See More Here:
    https://www.si.com/mlb/reds/news/gra...lly-de-la-cruz

20. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2023),goreds2 (12-13-2023)

Turn Off Ads?