Turn Off Ads?
Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Pick

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: #2 Pick

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Completely agree. I am a-ok with busts. When a player is picked way higher than they are expected to, in the first round, and afterwards it is revealed his dad is golfing buddies with the head of your scouting dept, that’s when I got problems.
    Firing offense. But he's still in the organization, isn't he?

Don't forget...he drafted his own son as well.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

I’m not sure, I thought he was gone, but do the Reds ever actually fire anyone?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Condon, after going 0-4 in today's 9-1 loss to LSU, won't get another PA until Regionals begin.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

To be fair, he was an 11th round draft pick. The part that irked me was how far over slot his bonus was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Stop quoting me on things I never said.

6. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Being glass-half-full the 2021 draft looks pretty good right now.....

Matt McLain (1-17)
    Jay Allen (1-30)
    Andrew Abbott (2-53)
    Julian Aguilar (12-360)
    Blake Dunn (14-450)

Kevin Abel (7-210) is old for his level at 25, but is doing well in Dayton as well.
    12th Round pick Julian Aguilar is looking really good. Hasn't had a hiccup along the way so far. Every year he's been pitching below his age-level. Now at Chattanooga and -1.6 years below his age-level, he continues to display a great K/BB ratio just as he has at every level along the way so far. This year, it's 4.43, above his 4.17 career Minor League number. He also continues to keep runners off base this season at 1.017 to improve upon his already impressive career minor league numbers of 1.129. Having done all this while avoiding injuries, he's been able to compile 269.1 Innings of Minor League Pitching gaining a myriad of experience from different Coaches at four levels. In 2023 he threw for 125 Innings.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-22-2024 at 04:20 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-26-2024),Rick Palmer (05-27-2024)

Oregon State fell to Stanford 2-1 and is out of the Pac-12 Tournament. Next up is the Regionals.

LSU is getting some really good pitching in the SEC tourney. Luke Holman went 6 no hit innings in a win over UK. He'd be a really solid round 2 pick if the Reds go college pitching. Mid 90's fast ball that plays up in the zone with good enough breaking stuff, solid command, and a lean projectable 6'4 frame.

Four of the Top-6 NCAA teams lost their opening Tournament game, Oregon State, Kentucky, Arkansas and Georgia.

Both Mayo and Callis like Condon more:

Callis: “I would take Charlie Condon because I think he has tremendous power and he's a very good hitter who makes very good swing decisions and makes a lot of contact.”

Mayo: “I still think it's pretty up in the air. Even if the industry thinks that Bazzana is the guy I'm not ready to jump off the Condon bandwagon just yet.

“I think Condon’s the best player in the Draft.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/2024-m...rall-pick-odds
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

13. Likes:

ochoa30 (05-31-2024),Redeyecat (05-26-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-24-2024),Rick Palmer (05-27-2024)

ACC tourney, Wake vs top seed UNC. Winner to semis tomorrow.

Chase Burns: 6 IP, 0 R, 15 Ks.

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-26-2024),Rick Palmer (05-27-2024)

Kurtz hit the scoreboard in a AAA ballpark on an opposite field nuke. Perfect swing for GABP if I'm being honest. https://x.com/MLBPipeline/status/1794218086414922018

17. Likes:

icehole3 (05-25-2024),malcontent (05-25-2024),Redeyecat (05-26-2024),Rick Palmer (05-27-2024),texasdave (05-25-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Kurtz hit the scoreboard in a AAA ballpark on an opposite field nuke. Perfect swing for GABP if I'm being honest. https://x.com/MLBPipeline/status/1794218086414922018
    The elite eye, the LH bat, the power, the defensive excellence. I suspect he may well make every team that passes on him regret it. And soon.

I've wondered how this guy could drop almost out of the top 5 in mocks.

19. Likes:

ochoa30 (05-31-2024),Rick Palmer (05-27-2024)

It's hard to measure results of long-hit balls when they get to use aluminum bats. Hard to measure a lot of things, especially power.

There's about 100 different types of Pitchers in College players can face, and each time there's the issue with the good pitchers, what pitches do they have going that day.

A lot can be seen in the Regionals, Super Regionals and College World Series. Usually the better players are on the better programs, so there's a good chance to see someone for 20+ PA's during this time and to see them facing really good pitchers (teams that made the Regionals, Super Regionals and College World Series, using their #1 and #2 Starters most of the time, along with their best Relievers most of the time.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-26-2024 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's hard to measure results of long-hit balls when they get to use aluminum bats. Hard to measure a lot of things, especially power
    This is a real world test with one of the best prep bats in the class. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pC0nYUmRXQ

The conclusion is it adds about 3.2 mph or roughly 15 feet of distance per swing. I think the aluminum bats are a bigger deal for adding hits on jam shots and end of the bat hits than adding distance to balls that are squared up. The newer BBCOR bats aren't as hot as the older aluminum bats as shown in the test.
    Last edited by JCM11; 05-26-2024 at 10:52 AM.

22. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-26-2024),Marc D (05-26-2024),Redeyecat (05-26-2024)

The other thing with Kurtz is he has been putting big numbers for 3 years including a big performance in the regionals last year before he had a rib injury that hampered him and kept him out of the final. I would not be even a little surprised if he is in the final 2 by the end of the season

24. Likes:

malcontent (05-26-2024)

Turn Off Ads?