Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Pick

Re: #2 Pick

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    All the uneasiness around the slam dunk options just highlights how difficult it is to project hitters IMO. The injury risk to pitchers levels the playing field, but there’s some element that’s just unknowable about hitters until they’re actually standing in the box against Zach Wheeler.
    True. We may revisit this thread in 4 years and it'll be Tommy White who turned out to be the best hitter. You just never know....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    True. We may revisit this thread in 4 years and it'll be Tommy White who turned out to be the best hitter. You just never know....
    Absolutely correct.

The only way you screw up the 2nd pick in this draft is if you reach for someone nobody expects to be taken and they bust.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Fwiw, the Os in their their tank and rebuild basically spammed bats for their top picks
    …other than Grayson they fired picks at bats. Not a bad approach, given the bust potential with any given top set of picks.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

Benihana (05-23-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2024),Tom Servo (05-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Fwiw, the Os in their their tank and rebuild basically spammed bats for their top picks
    …other than Grayson they fired picks at bats. Not a bad approach, given the bust potential with any given top set of picks.
    LH bats, almost exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yep, I strongly believe if you are in the top 5 you should absolutely select a bat, unless you have Paul Skenes staring at you in the face. Taking a guy that projects as a MOR arm that high is cray cray.

8. Likes:

Benihana (05-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Absolutely correct.

The only way you screw up the 2nd pick in this draft is if you reach for someone nobody expects to be taken and they bust.
    And here I was looking for this year's version of Nick Travieso for the Reds to try outsmart the rest of baseball with.

10. Likes:

Mitri (05-21-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    And here I was looking for this year's version of Nick Travieso for the Reds to try outsmart the rest of baseball with.
    I will never get over that pick. When I found out Travieso’s dad was friends with Buckley I almost puked.

I will never get over that pick. When I found out Travieso’s dad was friends with Buckley I almost puked.
    Yeah, not good.

And I’m still cranky about Joe Jocketty getting ABs in the system.

That said, every team drafts busts in the first round from time to time. Fixating on when your team has done so is just choosing to be miserable.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Being glass-half-full the 2021 draft looks pretty good right now.....

Matt McLain (1-17)
    Jay Allen (1-30)
    Andrew Abbott (2-53)
    Julian Aguilar (12-360)
    Blake Dunn (14-450)

Kevin Abel (7-210) is old for his level at 25, but is doing well in Dayton as well.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-22-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2024),Tom Servo (05-21-2024)

Kiley McDaniel has Condon as his #1 prospect in the draft and the 25th best prospect in all of baseball, which is good enough for me. If he's there, you take him.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

16. Likes:

membengal (05-21-2024),Mitri (05-21-2024),ochoa30 (05-31-2024),Redeyecat (05-26-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2024),Rick Palmer (05-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yeah, not good.

And I’m still cranky about Joe Jocketty getting ABs in the system.

That said, every team drafts busts in the first round from time to time. Fixating on when your team has done so is just choosing to be miserable.
    Completely agree. I am a-ok with busts. When a player is picked way higher than they are expected to, in the first round, and afterwards it is revealed his dad is golfing buddies with the head of your scouting dept, that’s when I got problems.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-22-2024),membengal (05-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Yeah only the first 6 picks are lottery picks so the Reds are eligible since they picked 7th in 2023. The A's are not eligible since they picked 6th in 2023 and 4th this year. 2025 looks to be a much better prep class headlined by Ethan Holliday.
    Edit: Seems like this is correct, I thought otherwise.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-21-2024 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds will not be eligible for 2025 lottery.

The earliest they can pick in 2025 is tenth.
    Do you have a link for that? I’ve heard like 10 different things on this subject.

Do you have a link for that? I’ve heard like 10 different things on this subject.
    Hmm. I’ll back out of this one. On its face seems like revenue-receiving team cannot participate in lottery three consecutive seasons.

But as I read more, seems like you actually must pick 1-6 three seasons in a row to be disqualified. Reds are not in that category.

Sorry if I misinterpreted.

22. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-26-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds will not be eligible for 2025 lottery.

The earliest they can pick in 2025 is tenth.
    Only the top 6 picks are lottery picks and the Reds picked 7th in 2023. Here's an excerpt from an MLB.com article about the Royals:

"Teams that receive revenue-sharing payouts can't receive a lottery pick for more than two years in a row, and those that don't get payments can't get a top-six choice in consecutive Drafts. Because they picked eighth in the 2023 Draft, the Royals can still draw a lottery pick for the '25 Draft. If they do so, they would be ineligible for the lottery in 26."

The Reds also fell outside of the lottery in 2023. The Nats had to pick 10th this year because as a revenue paying team they only get one lottery pick in a row. The A's are out of the lottery in 2025.

24. Likes:

malcontent (05-21-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2024)

Turn Off Ads?