Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Pick

Re: #2 Pick

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    7.1 walks per 9 last year. He has a long way to go to be a #2 pick. Right now it's Burns or a bat at #2.
    First year he is focusing on pitching. He was a duel sport athlete before (was recruited as a football player) - I think he’s going to improve his control significantly and fly up the board.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nick Kurtz young Matt Olson?

Chase Burns fans 9 in relief at 2023 Men's College World Series

Last edited by icehole3; 12-06-2023 at 05:58 AM.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2023),lollipopcurve (12-06-2023),malcontent (12-07-2023)

10. Brody Brecht, RHP, Iowa - He has Skenes-like stuff (fastball to 104 mph, devastating upper-80s slider)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2JGWjO9uTTI
    Last edited by icehole3; 12-06-2023 at 06:03 AM.

6. Likes:

Gallen5862 (12-06-2023),lollipopcurve (12-06-2023),RedTeamGo! (12-06-2023)

This is AWESOME

Do we get the 2nd pick in every round or does Round 2 return to inverse record?

I want the best bat available. At this very early stage that sounds like Nick Kurtz.
    Go BLUE!!!

8. Likes:

Gallen5862 (12-06-2023),icehole3 (12-06-2023),RedTeamGo! (12-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This is AWESOME

I want the best bat available. At this very early stage that sounds like Nick Kurtz.
    Only the first round. Inverse record after that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Gallen5862 (12-06-2023),icehole3 (12-06-2023),Kingspoint (12-06-2023)

SWEET... Would like a fast mover that can go with all the young talent.

I am going to predict Burns moves to 1 by the end of the year. I was in Durham for work last year and with nothing else to do, went to the ACC conference tournament and was talking to one of the guys that runs their pitching labs. They do some pretty crazy stuff. Put that type of infrastructure around that type of arm talent and I think he could be special. Hopefully not too special though. I don’t want Cleveland snatching him

13. Likes:

icehole3 (12-06-2023),RedTeamGo! (12-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I am going to predict Burns moves to 1 by the end of the year. I was in Durham for work last year and with nothing else to do, went to the ACC conference tournament and was talking to one of the guys that runs their pitching labs. They do some pretty crazy stuff. Put that type of infrastructure around that type of arm talent and I think he could be special. Hopefully not too special though. I don’t want Cleveland snatching him
    We've seen how expensive it is to acquire SP in FA and via trade, and the Reds targeted pitching in last year's draft. As of now Burns is the only SP worth taking that high IMO, and it would take a monster year to get him there. I think the Guardians will lean college bat(Kurtz, Weatherholt, or Bazzana) and the Reds will be more open to longer ETA's with prep bats and college arms being in consideration. I think there are 10-12 players who could play their way into consideration at #2 for the Reds so it should be a fun season to follow.

I like the predominance of LH college bats at the top of the current rankings. I'll add that from interviews I've seen Bazzana is a rare combination of talent and baseball IQ. He's going to maximize his abilities. Also agree that at this point Burns is the only arm that may be worth #2 pick.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Nick Kurtz young Matt Olson?
    I can see that. I can also see a more athletic Sean Casey with a lot more power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Stop quoting me on things I never said.

18. Likes:

icehole3 (12-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This is AWESOME

I can hear Sadek with the first HR call already - "Kurtz Don't It"
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I like the predominance of LH college bats at the top of the current rankings. I'll add that from interviews I've seen Bazzana is a rare combination of talent and baseball IQ. He's going to maximize his abilities. Also agree that at this point Burns is the only arm that may be worth #2 pick.
    Yeah reading the MLB.com writeups on the top guys at the moment and I'm marking Bazzana as my personal early favorite.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2023),lollipopcurve (12-07-2023),RED VAN HOT (12-06-2023),Tuff Nut (12-07-2023)

I like a speed/power/middle of the diamond/low K rate combination. Pitchers are too risky.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah reading the MLB.com writeups on the top guys at the moment and I'm marking Bazzana as my personal early favorite.
    Yeah right now I'd give Bazzana the 1-1 nod. I've seen some Guardians prospect nerds say he fits their model to a tee and expect him to be the pick at #1. It seems the consensus right now is the 3 college lefty bats(Bazzana, Kurtz, and Weatherholt) are the big 3 at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    As Pitchers are more risky, he likely has more value as a tradeable chip (for pitching that didn't "bust") later.

I've seen most of Bazzana's games since he arrived at Oregon State. He had a remarkable breakout year his 2nd season that nobody saw coming, though it's likely due to his age as he turned 23 three months ago.

The same thing is likely to happen to other prospects around the country this season.

Drafting a 20-year old College Player who is equally productive this season might be a much better choice than drafting Bazzana who will turn 24 next August. On the plus-side, he should be able to reach the REDS in 2026 or late 2025. He should be in AA next season at some point simply because he's much older than his competition at the lower levels.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 12-06-2023 at 06:18 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?