Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Pick

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: #2 Pick

Bazzana seems like a left handed hitting version of McLain. I'd be OK with that, but Kurtz is my early favorite. Guessing all this changes by the draft.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    As Pitchers are more risky, he likely has more value as a tradeable chip (for pitching that didn't "bust") later.

I've seen most of Bazzana's games since he arrived at Oregon State. He had a remarkable breakout year his 2nd season that nobody saw coming, though it's likely due to his age as he turned 23 three months ago.

Bazzana is 21 born in August 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Bazzana seems like a left handed hitting version of McLain. I'd be OK with that, but Kurtz is my early favorite. Guessing all this changes by the draft.
    Kurtz, as a big masher in the middle of the lineup, would be a fine piece to have.

I'm interested to see what Jac Caglianone does this year. He destroyed the SEC last year, lead D-1 in homers and can pitch as well.

NICK KURTZ
    Born on March 12, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I'm interested to see what Jac Caglianone does this year. He destroyed the SEC last year, lead D-1 in homers and can pitch as well.
    Cags is one of the players who can jump into the 1-1 conversation if he isn't there already. There's some command issues on the mound(not uncommon for Florida pitchers), but the arm is elite at 99MPH from the left side with a few decent secondary pitches. The raw power at the plate is right up there with Kurtz among the best in the draft, but Cags doesn't have near the plate discipline that Kurtz does. Plus being a two way guy Caglianone actual plays the field at 1B. With some refinement in his delivery, and better swing decisions he's a strong 1-1 contender. I see the Reds willing to take the player they feel has the highest upside and not worry about ETA.

8. Likes:

podgejeff_ (12-07-2023)

Give me Cags or Vance right now but per usual i'd expect a lot of things to shift between now and July.

Curious about Wetherholt, is he a lock to Cleveland at 1 or just other options are better?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Curious about Wetherholt, is he a lock to Cleveland at 1 or just other options are better?

I think Cleveland goes with a college bat unless Chase Burns has a Skenes type season. I'd say Bazzana, Weatherholt, and Kurtz are the most likely to go #1 with Honeycutt, Cags, and Sirota(good all around CF from Northeastern) having a chance to move into consideration. There's a few high school bats I like(Griffin and Morlando) but I don't think the Guardians go prep bat. Right now I'd say Weatherholt has a decent chance of going 1, but far from a lock. Both he and Bazzana have pretty similar profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Nothing is a lock right now. This time last year Paul Skenes was a mid first round projection
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

malcontent (12-07-2023),Old school 1983 (12-07-2023),RiverRat13 (12-08-2023)

I am by no means advocating this, but if they trade CES and India for Cease, I think they take one of the first basemen at #2. It could be Kurtz, Caglianone, or Condon.

The more I think about the possible trade, the more i think CES is gone. I'm guessing that the hold up is that the Chisox want Lodolo too. The Candelario signing just seems to fit the scenario too well. The abundance of power hitting first basemen and the number 2 pick seemed to make all the pieces fit.

Most of the mock drafts that have come out since the lottery have the Reds going with either Kurtz or Wetherholt. They're a lock to get a good college bat if that's what they want. Wetherholt is probably the best pure hitter in the draft with a 2B/3B profile though it does seem he should have the speed for an OF spot with 36 SB last year. Wetherholt had a brief appearance in the Cope Cod league where he had a .978 OPS and struck out only 1 time in 32 PA. He's a hitting machine.

Bazzana is right there with Wetherholt having won the Cape Cod MVP while putting up nearly as good a numbers in the wooden bat league as he did in college.

Kurtz is likely the best power bat in the draft drawing Matt Olsen comps. All three are left hand hitters, and I wouldn't complain about having any of them in the Reds system. IDK about moving CES with the idea that you replace his bat in the draft. I think the more likely scenario is they add an OF at some point and Steer covers more IF duty. In house I think Sal Stewart is a 1B option for the Reds by the time Candelario's contract is up.
    Last edited by JCM11; 12-09-2023 at 11:35 AM.

17. Likes:

mth123 (12-09-2023)

MLB.com has posted their first top 100 for next years draft. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2024/draft/
    No pitchers in the top 12 unless you count Caglianone; woof.
    Last edited by JCM11; 12-14-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    MLB.com has posted their first top 100 for next years draft. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2024/draft/
    No pitchers in the top 12 unless you count Caglianone; woof.
    Good. I find everyday players are a far better risk than pitchers this high

20. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (12-14-2023)

Turn Off Ads?