Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Pick

Re: #2 Pick

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    MLB.com has posted their first top 100 for next years draft. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2024/draft/
    No pitchers in the top 12 unless you count Caglianone; woof.
    After reading the top few blurbs, it seems as if the Reds could pick either the best bat some area scouts have ever seen or Jim Thome with defensive upside/ tools.

Sign me up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 65 | Run: 40 | Arm: 50 | Field: 60 | Overall: 60

Yes please
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

malcontent (12-22-2023),RiverRat13 (12-15-2023)

Is the talent pool thinner than last year? I certainly remember claims last year of it being a draft with many generational type players. That's not to say there won't be good ones at the top this year of course, but curious how the crop generally looks as of now (and yes I know it's projecting since many players will rise and fall).

Reds pick second. Expect that there will be a clear number 1 with a bunch of also rans.

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-14-2023)

Honestly looking over that list forget pitching, either Kurtz or Condon look like they're gonna be monster bats. Condon put up every bit as impressive numbers as Kurtz in the SEC. And he can play corner OF as well as first.

If he's still there. I'd like to take Kurtz. I've seen some talk that he might also be capable of handling a corner OF spot. Early on defensively, I'd test this and split his time between the OF & 1B (the versatility couldn't hurt).

Right now my early and sure to change big board would be
    1. Bazzana
    2 Kurtz
    3. Wetherholt
    4. Caglianone
    5. Honeycutt
    6. Condon

I think Bazzana profiles as the best all around player when you factor in hit tool, max exit velo, plate discipline, speed/athletic ability, and defense. I'd like to see Wetherholt take more walks this year. I think if the BB's increase without a dip in power Wetherholt could flip Bazzana for #1. Cags and Honeycutt are more upside play guys right now, but that projection has to be a part of MLB drafts IMO. With Cags you could be getting a left handed CES and Hunter Greene in one player. Kurtz seems to make the most sense based on what the Reds could use right now, and things could get interesting if he's off the board when the Reds pick.
    Last edited by JCM11; 12-18-2023 at 08:24 PM.

11. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-29-2023)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Honestly looking over that list forget pitching, either Kurtz or Condon look like they're gonna be monster bats. Condon put up every bit as impressive numbers as Kurtz in the SEC. And he can play corner OF as well as first.
    I think Condon is a RHH, while Kurtz and Wetherholt are LHHs. I'm biased toward LHHs, but I also believe they need one with CES, Marte, Steer, McLain and India all RHHs.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Is the talent pool thinner than last year? I certainly remember claims last year of it being a draft with many generational type players. That's not to say there won't be good ones at the top this year of course, but curious how the crop generally looks as of now (and yes I know it's projecting since many players will rise and fall).
    I think the difference had the top is largely positional value. I don’t know that Crews is a better hitter than Kurtz for example but Kurtz will be putting up the numbers as a 1B where as Crews will be doing it as a CF, making his production greater vs the league average at his position.

All the top bats this year at the top are 1B/DH types, but Wetherholt might be able to play SS which would give him some added buzz

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I think the difference had the top is largely positional value. I donít know that Crews is a better hitter than Kurtz for example but Kurtz will be putting up the numbers as a 1B where as Crews will be doing it as a CF, making his production greater vs the league average at his position.

All the top bats this year at the top are 1B/DH types, but Wetherholt might be able to play SS which would give him some added buzz
    From Prospects Live:

1. 2B/SS TRAVIS BAZZANA, OREGON STATE

HEIGHT: 6í0
    WEIGHT: 202
    B/T: L/R
    DRAFT DAY AGE: 21 YR 10 MO

An import from Australia, Bazzana's overall toolset is ridiculously impressive. He's put up incredible numbers in his two years at Oregon State, slashing .340/.463/.549 across two seasons in Corvallis with elite bat-to-ball skills and plate discipline. He's a really tough out at the plate, rarely expanding the zone and he's got an incredible eye, racking up walks aplenty. His spray chart is a thing of beauty, utilizing the entire field with a compact, line drive swing with a ton of bat speed that is meant to do serious damage. It's above-average juice at the present and most of it plays to his pull side, but he's shown an ability to hammer the ball to the opposite field gap. Bazzana is also an incredible runner, posting plus run times on a consistent basis. He's primarily been a second baseman up to this point, though there's a chance we see him at shortstop in 2024. He's got enough athleticism and twitch to have solid range there, though his arm is nothing more than average. Either way you draw it up, this is a potentially elite bat with suitable defense up the middle.

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-29-2023),Tuff Nut (12-23-2023)

At this early stage I like middle of the diamond players with high contact rates and low k rates. Too much of the first basemen depends on the bat. Besides, if they don't trade him, I think the Reds have 1B covered with CES who profiles to hit 30 HR's.

A coveted pitcher will emerge in this draft. Take him.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-03-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Reds pick second. Expect that there will be a clear number 1 with a bunch of also rans.
    Yeah, seems like the "cream of the crop" always peters out the pick before the Reds selection.

The good news is that if there is not a clear #2 pick (or clear #1 and #2 pick or whatever) ... that means the Reds can sign a really good player with the #2 overall pick -- and save some cash for the second round, CB2, third round, etc.

Getting the #2 pick out of nowhere was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    The good news is that if there is not a clear #2 pick (or clear #1 and #2 pick or whatever) ... that means the Reds can sign a really good player with the #2 overall pick -- and save some cash for the second round, CB2, third round, etc.

Getting the #2 pick out of nowhere was huge.
    Yeah the slot value on that pick will probably be north of 9.5 million. The Reds have picks 2, 52, 73, 90, and 120 in the first 4 rounds. Based on the 2023 $ values of those picks plus the near 10% increase pick values received in 2023 that should be about 14.2 million for those 5 picks. If nobody breaks out with a historic season like Skenes and Crews it'll be interesting to see what the players at the top of this class get. Skenes signed for 9.2(500k under slot) while Crews got slightly over at 9.0. If they have several players rated close together it may come down to saving some $ to land a big prep player or two later.

I expect the over slot deals for highly rated prep guys(like Stafura and Schoenwetter last year) will continue in 2024. There seems to be a lot of interesting prep arms in the 25-55 range.

Turn Off Ads?