Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Pick

Re: #2 Pick

Ben McDonald brought something up during the Florida/NC St series that I had not thought of and probably worth mentioning in the Cags/Condon debate. Cags has and does spend a big chunk of his development time pitching. Additionally he is coming into games the day after he has thrown 100+ pitches at less than 100% because of the toll that takes on your body

Cags vs Condon where Cags only focuses on hitting-who do you want? I have been on Kurtz the whole time but all things being equal I think I would take Cags full time as a hitter over Condon

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Dylan Crews went from 13% to 25%

Wyatt Langford went from 14% to 23%

Cags was at 18% last year, he has certainly improved it greatly, but is it real? He chases a ton, every scout and draft expert will tell you that. Did Crews and Langford chase as much?

- - - Updated - - -

If you get your wish this board will meltdown and for good reason lol
    We'll see. Everyone here is scouting the stat lines. That's just a small amount of what goes into evaluating a player. If anyone melts down because the Reds didn't take the college player with the best stats, they are taking this way too seriously. Trust the scouts.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

Kc61 (06-12-2024),mth123 (06-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    We'll see. Everyone here is scouting the stat lines. That's just a small amount of what goes into evaluating a player. If anyone melts down because the Reds didn't take the college player with the best stats, they are taking this way too seriously. Trust the scouts.
    I haven’t said anything about their stats other than the Chase and K numbers. What are you “scouting” ? Because I have not seen one scout say any other the players you have mentioned should be considered at 2.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I haven’t said anything about their stats other than the Chase and K numbers. What are you “scouting” ? Because I have not seen one scout say any other the players you have mentioned should be considered at 2.
    I haven't seen anything scouts are saying, especially in private. I've seen reporting on what scouts are saying to reporters. But I take that with a grain of salt.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I would bet a signficant amount of money Cleveland does not take Cags. He does not fit their hitting strategy at all and Bazzana fits it completely. They are going to take Bazzana. The Guardians do not like guys with chase/swing and miss issues. Cags is a huge swing and miss risk. When I look at him I see Joey Gallo.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside - it is odd how many Florida fans are on here.
    The Gator Nation is EVERYWHERE.
    ďThe crows seem to be calling my name,Ē thought Caw.

8. Likes:

Gainesville Red (06-11-2024),Rojo Rijo (06-11-2024)

the SO rate doesn't matter. It is the chase rate. Every scout has commented on it how much he chases. That will fly against a bunch of pitchers that will be working at Enterprises Rent-A-Car in a couple months, but against pros it ain't gonna fly. That 8% K rate will turn into a 30% K rate in short order.

Cags is such an interesting player. I can't think of anyone who has as much power as him, with such a low K rate.

I understand the argument that he can get by chasing against lesser pitchers, but he will be punished vs better pitchers. The flip side is guys like Bazz and Kurtz have excellent batting eyes, and they K more than Cags even though they are swinging at mostly pitches in the zone. If they are striking out swinging at pitches in the zone, then couldn't one argue that too is a warning sign when they face better pitchers in the pros?

Is Cags swinging at everything bc a.) he knows they try to pitch around him, so he swings at more bad pitches. b.) he knows he can hit bad pitches, so he swings at them anyway. c.) Is his batting eye that bad? Or maybe he'd prefer to swing at pitches outside the zone knowing he can hit a HR, vs trying to take a walk? IDK-- could be a combination of all of these things.

It sounds like this dude has crazy fast hands and good bat control if he can constantly swing out of the zone and make contact.

Since he pitches half the time, how much more upside does the dude have once he focuses on hitting full time? Bazz is an elite worker, who I think has gone to driveline the past 2 years to work on his game. How much more upside does he have? Cags is definitely risk/reward, while Bazz is the guy with higher floor, lower ceiling.

Cags also has the "it" factor. Confidence, arrogance, whatever you want to call it.

He is such an intriguing player. The Reds have so many scouts, so much video on this dude. They know what skills translate to the pros and what can be improved on. The only dude I can think of with power and a low K rate was Albert Pujols. 700+ HR's and a lifetime 12.2% K rate. That said, I'm not comparing him to Pujols as Pujols was busy jacking up 37 HR's in the majors when he was the same age as Cags is now. All time Elite player. It's just rare to find a power guy-- even in the college ranks who has such a low K rate.

If you are a GM who believes in your teams hitting development, then you are probably drooling over the chance to draft and work with him.

10. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-14-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

Can you imagine if the NFL or NBA drafted guys with the best college stats?............... they don't and there is a reason for that. Like you said, it's just 1 piece of the puzzle when evaluating a player.

12. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    The Gator Nation is EVERYWHERE.
    Love this response. Respect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    Can you imagine if the NFL or NBA drafted guys with the best college stats?............... they don't and there is a reason for that. Like you said, it's just 1 piece of the puzzle when evaluating a player.
    Obviously, and I do not think one person on here has advocated for drafting a player just based on their stats.

BZ commented on Condon's stats, but they are historic. Its not like he is doing it in the MAC, either.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I tend to err on "greatest offensive season in SEC history" myself.
    So youíre team Christian Moore then? He did win the SEC triple crown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    For me it's either Kurtz or Caglianone. I want the LHH masher at 1B. I would have contemplated LHP Smith, buts arms just seem too fragile at this point.
    I’m all in with Kurtz. Am I right to say the fact that he plays first base is the only problem with him? We need a bopper. I know there is a strange pressure to make a smart pick when one is gifted the #2 pick, but I’m hoping we get somebody who will rake in the majors.
    If not Kurts, then Cags.
    Last edited by wally post; 06-11-2024 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    So you’re team Christian Moore then? He did win the SEC triple crown.

Considering he's a projected first round pick, somebody is gonna be team Christian Moore.

He didn't do what Condon did, though.

17. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-14-2024)

Considering he's a projected first round pick, somebody is gonna be team Christian Moore.

He didn't do what Condon did, though.
    Iím a Tennessee fan, so Iím just giving you a hard time. However, I do think Moore is being drastically underrated. If you look at SEC games only to somewhat normalize the stats, Condonís only advantage is a ton of walks and a handful of doubles. Teams pitched around Condon a lot. They couldnít pitch around Moore because of the lineup behind him. Nobody was putting Moore on base on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    I’m a Tennessee fan, so I’m just giving you a hard time. However, I do think Moore is being drastically underrated. If you look at SEC games only to somewhat normalize the stats, Condon’s only advantage is a ton of walks and a handful of doubles. Teams pitched around Condon a lot. They couldn’t pitch around Moore because of the lineup behind him. Nobody was putting Moore on base on purpose.

Condon also hit 37 home runs while being pitched around. That’s impressive.

Also, Condon didn’t play for Tennessee. After watching Senzel fail for 5 years I don’t want any part of a Tennessee hitter how the foreseeable future.

Condon also hit 37 home runs while being pitched around. That’s impressive.

Also, Condon didn’t play for Tennessee. After watching Senzel fail for 5 years I don’t want any part of a Tennessee hitter how the foreseeable future.
    I'm starting to wonder if the sentiment against Condon here isn't just a larger than expected contingent of Tennessee and Florida fans here who all really hate Georgia.

21. Likes:

membengal (06-12-2024)

I'm starting to wonder if the sentiment against Condon here isn't just a larger than expected contingent of Tennessee and Florida fans here who all really hate Georgia.
    I had the same thought

23. Likes:

podgejeff_ (06-11-2024)

Turn Off Ads?