Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: #2 Pick

Re: #2 Pick

I've played enough slowpitch softball to know about shaved bats and those things bust pretty fast. I can't imagine how fast a shaved bat would bust hitting 90+ mph fastballs. I doubt coaches would chance it or allow it to go on considering how dangerous that could be for pitchers getting liners hit back at them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I've played enough slowpitch softball to know about shaved bats and those things bust pretty fast. I can't imagine how fast a shaved bat would bust hitting 90+ mph fastballs. I doubt coaches would chance it or allow it to go on considering how dangerous that could be for pitchers getting liners hit back at them.
    I'd guess coaches would be teaching them how to cheat, if only because they assume everyone else is doing it as well. (This definitely holds true in the SEC, the Big XII, the Big 10, and the Pac 10, all of which have long histories of cheating to gain an edge.)

What no one has mentioned is that the ball might also be a bit juiced.

What no one has mentioned is that the ball might also be a bit juiced.
    Not that it matters really, but I have mentioned this in other threads related to this year's draft. I've heard guys at Baseball America -- like on podcasts -- include the balls with the bats in their speculations about what's behind the big uptick in offense at the college level over the last couple years. It only makes sense.

That aside, I'm on the Cags bus right now. (But I have tickets for a bunch of different buses.) I have no skin in the college game, don't root for or against any team in particular. As JCM11 has done a nice job of presenting, he does seem to have an underrated feel to hit, and I think that could undergird a plus-plus power profile at the highest level.

5. Likes:

Marc D (06-20-2024)

I'm guessing they'd be smart enough to compression test the bats like we do for Slow pitch. Maybe not though.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    India most certainly was NOT viewed as a stud. That’s revisionist history.
    OK. Take issue with my use of "stud". Maybe I should have said "sure thing"? My general point was that one was taken #2 overall, and the other #5 overall.

And, yes, I recognize that both of those drafts blew. I recall I wanted Singer in the India draft.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Senzel and India were largely one year wonders in college. Their junior years were out of line with the rest of their numbers. Give me the hitter who has remained consistent with high numbers, including a k/bb ratio <1 for at least one previous year. This year, that's Kurtz.
    Senzel had a normal progression from his freshman to junior years. I advocated for picking him at the time. I think injuries during his development derailed his career far more than a lack of talent.

I just canít put a ton of stock into walk rates in college baseball for elite hitters. Depending on the other guys on the team and the league they play in, some guys just donít get pitched to very often. Good on them for taking the free pass and mashing when pitchers do have to throw to them.

I havenít watched Kurtz play much this year, so I canít make any educated opinion of his athleticism. Athleticism is my main concern with Condon. I see RH Adam Dunn. That wouldnít be a bad outcome for the Reds. However, I think Moore and Cags are far more athletic guys who have elite exit MPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-22-2024)

I miss the draft being the 1st week of June. I want to get these guys signed and playing before most of the season is over.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

AlaskaReds (06-20-2024),Boss-Hog (06-29-2024),Bourgeois Zee (06-20-2024),corkedbat (06-24-2024),Marc D (06-21-2024),Old school 1983 (06-27-2024),RedTeamGo! (06-20-2024),Tuff Nut (06-21-2024)

How does Bazzana compare to Corbin Carrol? His scouting report seems pretty similar to Carroll of last year

Kurtz is a plus defender at 1st. Moves very well for a big guy, good hands too.

14. Likes:

malcontent (06-20-2024)

Some interesting tidbits here from Reds scouting director Joe Katuska https://live.emailhero.io/gannett/PC...EQ-E-NLETTER31

“We certainly have questions about the balls and bats,” Reds amateur scouting director Joe Katuska said. "A lot of people do."

“You have to take a more traditional approach with scouting this year,” Katuska said. “You evaluate the mechanics of their player in their strength and their physicality. We’re breaking down the players to their own physical abilities.”

Condon is the main guy out of the top bats that doesn't pass the eye test for me. It'll be interesting to see who they favor. After reading this article and Katuska's skepticism of the offensive numbers I definitely think Smith and Burns will get strong consideration. For me Cags is the alpha dog of this group, and if I'm just looking at who you can bring into your system and turn into an absolute beast I'd go with him. Bazzana and Kurtz would be the "safe" picks for bats.

16. Likes:

Marc D (06-26-2024),ochoa30 (06-26-2024)

Maybe it's way more than I realize, but I'd like to know what college teams spend on metal bats, how much more it would be to buy wood bats, and why MLB wouldn't help make up the difference to avoid these types of problems in scouting.

There are 300 Division I baseball teams. That would be an expensive investment for MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaReds View Post
    How does Bazzana compare to Corbin Carrol? His scouting report seems pretty similar to Carroll of last year
    They don't pay for their bats typically.

It's an endorsement deal.

MLB Pipeline dropped their newest top 250 https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Bazzana, Condon, and Cags get 65 grades with Wetherholt, Burns, Smith, Montgomery, Kurtz, Rainer, and Griffin getting 60 grades. I think they have Bazzana's power overrated and Condon's hit and power tool overrated which is why Cags is my #1. Rainer has the best profile among the 60 grade guys IMO.

21. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (06-27-2024)

MLB Pipeline dropped their newest top 250 https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Bazzana, Condon, and Cags get 65 grades with Wetherholt, Burns, Smith, Montgomery, Kurtz, Rainer, and Griffin getting 60 grades. I think they have Bazzana's power overrated and Condon's hit and power tool overrated which is why Cags is my #1. Rainer has the best profile among the 60 grade guys IMO.
    Go Gator baseball!

Turn Off Ads?