Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2023 Part II - Are the Chiefs actually human?

Re: NFL 2023 Part II - Are the Chiefs actually human?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I thought that was one of the best Super Bowl games I've seen, and I dislike both teams with a passion. First half was a defensive showcase and an exchange of mistakes. Second half was a game of cat-and-mouse offense with dueling scoring opportunities. Evenly called by the officals throughout, too. In the end, San Francisco made one more critical mistake with the missed extra point, and KC capitalized late using Mahomes' legs rather than his arm.
    I thought it was the one of the more evenly officiated games that I can remember.

IMO the game came down to Spags' third down blitzes getting the better of Shanahan's 3rd down play calls. You have to know Spags is dialing up pressure there. You might also want to block Chris Jones, who prevented two touchdowns with pressures.

Mahomes is the best player on the planet and will get all of the credit, but the Chiefs nailing a couple of drafts in a row to provide two excellent interior offensive lineman and the bulk of a very good defensive backfield on the cheap is the deciding factor for them winning the last two Super Bowls. They failed to score 20 points in regulation the last two games but still won the Super Bowl. I believe that is a first in the Super Bowl era.

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-12-2024),redhawkfish (02-12-2024),RedTeamGo! (02-12-2024),SteelSD (02-12-2024),Tuff Nut (02-12-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The last thing we needed is the NFL sticking another QB/team dynasty down our throats after spending 20 years dealing with Brady and the Pats. (and no, im not denying Mahomes talent, I know how good he is.)

Between 2001 and 2019 the Patriots and Brady played in 13 out of 19 AFC championship games, winning 9 of the 13 and then winning 6 of the 9 SuperBowls they played in. You can also exclude 2008 as Brady was out all year with a torn ACL.

Then in 2020 you have Mahomes first SB win, then in 2021 you have Brady (now in TB) beat Mahomes for a SB. Then thankfully the Bengals and Joey B beat KC in '22. Now the past 2 seasons you have Mahomes and KC win the SB.

So now we've had the Chiefs in 4 of the last 5 AFC championship games and there doesnt seem to be an end in sight.

Call it what you want but as a Jaguars fan (a team who was on the end of a terrible call that cost us a trip to the 2018 SuperBowl, losing to Brady/Pats) my only hope is the league wants Lawrence to ascend into a SB QB. Problem is after Mahomes you have Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Lamar Jackson all right there as megastar QBs. At least Burrow has played in a SB but there are going to be a handful of QBs in the AFC with great careers who never see a SB because of Mahomes and the Chiefs. Lawrence isnt anywhere near their level yet as a winner, hell we couldnt even win a division that was pratically handed to us on a platter this year.

Just one of those times where I realize being a Jags fan, the really good moments will be few and far between......

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    The last thing we needed is the NFL sticking another QB/team dynasty down our throats after spending 20 years dealing with Brady and the Pats. (and no, im not denying Mahomes talent, I know how good he is.)

Between 2001 and 2019 the Patriots and Brady played in 13 out of 19 AFC championship games, winning 9 of the 13 and then winning 6 of the 9 SuperBowls they played in. You can also exclude 2008 as Brady was out all year with a torn ACL.

Then in 2020 you have Mahomes first SB win, then in 2021 you have Brady (now in TB) beat Mahomes for a SB. Then thankfully the Bengals and Joey B beat KC in '22. Now the past 2 seasons you have Mahomes and KC win the SB.

So now we've had the Chiefs in 4 of the last 5 AFC championship games and there doesnt seem to be an end in sight.

Call it what you want but as a Jaguars fan (a team who was on the end of a terrible call that cost us a trip to the 2018 SuperBowl, losing to Brady/Pats) my only hope is the league wants Lawrence to ascend into a SB QB. Problem is after Mahomes you have Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Lamar Jackson all right there as megastar QBs. At least Burrow has played in a SB but there are going to be a handful of QBs in the AFC with great careers who never see a SB because of Mahomes and the Chiefs. Lawrence isnt anywhere near their level yet as a winner, hell we couldnt even win a division that was pratically handed to us on a platter this year.

Just one of those times where I realize being a Jags fan, the really good moments will be few and far between......
    The Chiefs are always going to be relevant with Mahomes. I don't see a way of escaping them being a title favorite in 2024. Too much cheap talent. But even they are a couple of bad drafts away from falling from title contenders to just playoff contenders. They have to pay Sneed this offseason (probably will tag him) and it could go either way with Chris Jones. Then in 2025 they'll have to either find ways to pay or replace Humphrey and Smith while hoping Thuney at age 33 justifies his large cap hit, and they could have to turn over their secondary except for McDuffie. So here's to hoping they have a couple of bad Aprils.

6. Likes:

Chip R (02-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I don't see a way of escaping them being a title favorite in 2024.
    Looked this morning, and they are the early favorite. They're 5-1, though, so not exactly a huge favorite.

Let's hope teams like the Broncos and Chargers give 'em a little more competition

The Chiefs are always going to be relevant with Mahomes. I don't see a way of escaping them being a title favorite in 2024. Too much cheap talent. But even they are a couple of bad drafts away from falling from title contenders to just playoff contenders. They have to pay Sneed this offseason (probably will tag him) and it could go either way with Chris Jones. Then in 2025 they'll have to either find ways to pay or replace Humphrey and Smith while hoping Thuney at age 33 justifies his large cap hit, and they could have to turn over their secondary except for McDuffie. So here's to hoping they have a couple of bad Aprils.
    Definitely the favorite now. But there's a draft and a whole off season to go. Mahomes is going to have to redo his contract - which should not be a problem - and other players will have to be paid. How much longer is Kelce going to play? Is he going to spend the summer jet setting with his girlfriend and neglect getting into football shape? If they do wind up taking the next step, will she prod him to retire for his health? Remember when Brady lost Gronk, he wasn't as effective. They reunited in Tampa and won a Super Bowl. Mahomes had trouble when his passes weren't going to Kelce. Their defense was very underrated. Will they lose guys from that side of the ball? They are in a better position than most of the league but they still have the Bengals, Bills, Ravens, a resurgent Browns term, the Texans and Jim Harbaugh's Chargers to contend with. They will have a tougher time than any NFC team will. A key injury could allow one of their rivals to step up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Re: taking the ball or not in OT in the playoffs - there's no way the math says that kicking off is the better move. The only way you can kick it first if you are the 49ers is if you 100% commit to going for two if both teams score touchdowns. You almost have to commit to going for the touchdown if you elect defense first even if the other team only kicks a FG. If both teams kick FGs, the team getting it first has a huge advantage.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 02-12-2024 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post

As long as Andy Reid’s there they’re going to be relevant. The rest of the AFC West needs to put their big boy pants on and face them.

Part of what helped the Brady years was how many of those franchises were dumpster fires year in, year out. Once playoff time rolled Brady just had to win one to get the title game.

Las Vegas (and SF at times) showed if you’re disciplined in your rush you can at least slow down Mahomes. Can the league adapt… we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

NFL 2023 Part II - Are the Chiefs actually human?

Did anyone else catch this? There was no penalty, as the ball spot never moved from the spot after the run. Should it not have been 2nd and 8? You can clearly see it changed from 2nd down to 1st and 10. You can also see the blue and yellow lines moved after a 2 yard gain.

I didn’t see that during the game

https://www.facebook.com/share/YbDmK...ibextid=UalRPS

Last edited by LiferJim; 02-12-2024 at 06:05 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Did anyone else catch this? There was no penalty, as the ball spot never moved from the spot after the run. Should it not have been 2nd and 8? You can clearly see it changed from 2nd down to 1st and 10. You can also see the blue and yellow lines moved after a 2 yard gain.

I didn’t see that during the game

https://www.facebook.com/share/YbDmK...ibextid=UalRPS

I noticed it, but I think the coverage had it wrong. The previous play looked like a first down, but they must have spotted it just short. So that play was 2nd and inches, not 1st and 10

14. Likes:

LiferJim (02-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    As long as Andy Reid’s there they’re going to be relevant. The rest of the AFC West needs to put their big boy pants on and face them.

Part of what helped the Brady years was how many of those franchises were dumpster fires year in, year out. Once playoff time rolled Brady just had to win one to get the title game.

Las Vegas (and SF at times) showed if you’re disciplined in your rush you can at least slow down Mahomes. Can the league adapt… we’ll see.

The Bengals literally gave the blueprint on how to beat Mahomes as recently as last year.

Rush four, cover Kelce, spy on Mahomes, and then sit back and wait for him to inevitably do something stupid to cost them the game.

It's not foolproof and you have to have a franchise QB to make it work but if you blitz you are asking for him to beat you.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Bengals literally gave the blueprint on how to beat Mahomes as recently as last year.

Rush four, cover Kelce, spy on Mahomes, and then sit back and wait for him to inevitably do something stupid to cost them the game.

It's not foolproof and you have to have a franchise QB to make it work but if you blitz you are asking for him to beat you.

Thats similar to what I saw Las Vegas use in the last game. They really frustrated Mahomes and Maauto.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I noticed it, but I think the coverage had it wrong. The previous play looked like a first down, but they must have spotted it just short. So that play was 2nd and inches, not 1st and 10

That is correct. First play of that drive was a 9 yard pass to Kelce. The graphic had it wrong. It was 2nd down

19. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (02-13-2024),LiferJim (02-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

The Ravens held the Chiefs to 17 points and the 49ers held them to 19 points in regulation with the only touchdown coming off of a 16-yard drive. The good teams have figured out how to slow the Chiefs down. It's the Chiefs defense that is now the difference.

The Ravens held the Chiefs to 17 points and the 49ers held them to 19 points in regulation with the only touchdown coming off of a 16-yard drive. The good teams have figured out how to slow the Chiefs down. It's the Chiefs defense that is now the difference.
    They draft well and their secondary is vastly improved...that being said they have huge decisions on Jones, Gay, Sneed and others coming up. Tagging Jones costs 32.5 million and a long term deal probably looks similar to other top defenders like Bosa. I would imagine Mahomes would restructure to give them flexibility.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?