Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2023 Part II - Are the Chiefs actually human?

Re: NFL 2023 Part II - Are the Chiefs actually human?

It finally feels like the Browns are back and just a “regular” NFL franchise, not an expansion team. For the last 2 dozen seasons it’s felt like they were just spinning their wheels in the mud, unable to overcome adversity due to lack of depth. It should not have taken this long but they have made it.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-29-2023),dubc47834 (12-29-2023),RedTeamGo! (12-29-2023),Revering4Blue (12-28-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah the Browns look for real.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Yeah the Browns look for real.
    Just goes to show you can win with a mediocre quarterback and a great defense. Joe did it with Baltimore too, but he did play remarkably during that Super Bowl run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Just goes to show you can win with a mediocre quarterback and a great defense. Joe did it with Baltimore too, but he did play remarkably during that Super Bowl run

Flacco has not been a mediocre QB with the Browns though. He's throwing for 300+ every game. They've scored 30+ 3 of the last 4 games. He's making too many turnovers, but he's made them an explosive offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Flacco has not been a mediocre QB with the Browns though. He's throwing for 300+ every game. They've scored 30+ 3 of the last 4 games. He's making too many turnovers, but he's made them an explosive offense.

Yes he has played very well, but historically he would be considered mediocre IMO. He always had a great running game and defense in Baltimore. He never killed them, but he rarely had eye popping numbers.

I definitely agree he has played very well with the Browns, but if he has to keep throwing the ball so much, I think history will catch up with him. That said, I’m actually pulling for the Browns to do well.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post

All solid points. The era of winning a Super Bowl, let alone reaching one, with simply a competent QB, solid running games and defense is long gone. You have to score points.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

NFL 2023 Part II - Are the Chiefs actually human?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    All solid points. The era of winning a Super Bowl, let alone reaching one, with simply a competent QB, solid running games and defense is long gone. You have to score points.

Maybe, maybe not. 2019 Patriots beat the Rams 13-3. 2022 Rams beat our Bengals 23-20. Yes, both winners had competent quarterbacks

I agree, most games are high flying affairs because that’s what the fans like. Obviously you only had to score more than your defense allows

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. 2019 Patriots beat the Rams 13-3. 2022 Rams beat our Bengals 23-20. Yes, both winners had competent quarterbacks

I agree, most games are high flying affairs because that’s what the fans like. Obviously you only had to score more than your defense allows

Right. Not every game is going to be a shootout, but it's not a coincidence that of the 4 QBs in those 2 games, 1 is a lock HOFer, 1 is a fringe HOFer, and 1 is on his way to the HOF.

It's possible to win with a mediocre QB and an elite defense, but it makes your margin for error super small.

11. Likes:

LiferJim (12-29-2023),Revering4Blue (12-29-2023)

I think there is more than one way to build a Super Bowl team, and we are seeing some of those ways, even if they are by accident.

A competent if unspectacular game manager QB on a very cheap contract, frees up a LOT of building options.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

LiferJim (12-29-2023)

One small positive to the Browns possibly winning the Super Bowl would be an end to this notion that a QB who wins 2 Super Bowls should be admitted to the HOF. There will be precious few campaigning for Flacco to make it...and I don't think Eli Manning is worthy either

I think there is more than one way to build a Super Bowl team, and we are seeing some of those ways, even if they are by accident.

A competent if unspectacular game manager QB on a very cheap contract, frees up a LOT of building options.
    That would be true if the QB he was replacing wasn't one of the highest paid in the league before he went down.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

16. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (12-29-2023)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    One small positive to the Browns possibly winning the Super Bowl would be an end to this notion that a QB who wins 2 Super Bowls should be admitted to the HOF. There will be precious few campaigning for Flacco to make it...and I don't think Eli Manning is worthy either
    Is that you Jim Plunkett?

18. Likes:

moewan (12-30-2023),RedsBaron (12-31-2023)

It's pretty much impossible to have a decent QB on a cheap contract unless they're on a rookie deal though. Even middle of the road QBs like Derek Carr have huge contracts. Baker Mayfield is an exception this year, but they weren't expecting much from him as he was brought in to compete for the starting job. He's likely going to sign a pretty big deal this offseason.

Does anyone know of any precedence for something like this?

I always thought even wink/wink/nudge/nudge attempts at stuff like this were usually blasted by the agent, the media, and even other players.

So are we at the point now where it's like "yep, nothing to see here. Business as usual?"

I'm curious, myself.
    It's out in the open now as Russ discussed it at his locker...good question from a Bronco's beat writer to get it all out in the open. I think Rappaport speculated about it a few weeks back. 2nd year in a row this has happened in the NFL with injury guarantees.

Not sure the NFLPA has much power to do anything in regards...their union ins pretty weak in comparison to baseball
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-30-2023)

Brandon Aubrey is 37 for 37 on field goals this year. He’s 8 for 8 50+. That’s pretty pretty good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?