Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Ohio State Football: Ryan Day's Tiki Torch

2024 Ohio State Football: Ryan Day's Tiki Torch

New Year New Thread. Other one is almost at 1,000 posts.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2024 Ohio State Football: Ryan Day's Tiki Torch

It is wild how quickly everything flipped in Columbus to me. Just absolutely wild.

If you are confident in this program moving forward you are kidding yourself, IMHO. I saw someone on 11W make a comment about how Michigan rotates 9 defensive linemen, "why doesn't OSU do that?", and someone replied "OSU doesn't even have 9 DL on the roster right now. How in the world does that happen at OSU? Also, can someone explain to me how Jean-Baptiste was just a guy at OSU and goes to Notre Dame and becomes an excellent defensive linemen? Larry Johnson really REALLY needs to retire.

I think you have to jettison Day and back up a brinks truck to DeBoer. Just my .02.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 01-02-2024 at 01:54 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It is wild how quickly everything flipped in Columbus to me. Just absolutely wild.

If you are confident in this program moving forward you are kidding yourself, IMHO. I saw someone on 11W make a comment about how Michigan rotates 9 defensive linemen, "why doesn't OSU do that?", and someone replied "OSU doesn't even have 9 DL on the roster right now. How in the world does that happen at OSU?

I think you have to jettison Day and back up a brinks truck to DeBoer. Just my .02.
    Isn't all of DeBoers ties to the West Coast?

Dan Lanning might be worth a look. Or Mike Norvell.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Couple other must-do's this January

Parker Fleming (Special Teams Coordinator) - the fact it is now January 2nd and this guy has not been fired yet is alarming. What in the world is Day waiting for?

Corey Dennis (AKA Urban Meyer's son-in-law - seriously, literally Urban Meyer's son-in-law) is the QB coach and it is being rumored he was skipping practice and meetings with the QBs leading up to the Cotton Bowl - why is this guy not fired yet? Nepotism is poison, this guy needs to be fired immediately. Day coaches the starting QB and Dennis coaches the backups, Brown and Keinholtz looked 100% unprepared for the Cotton Bowl. How does that happen at OSU?

Justin Frye - OL Coach. The OL is an absolute disaster, this guy has had 2 years. Buh bye.

Larry Johnson - Needs to retire, he is a dinosaur, the DL has been regressing for years. Used to be a gamewrecker, not it is a liabiity most of the time. Had the two top DL in the 21 class and turned them into mediocre players - Sawyer looked very good in the Cotton Bowl, but JTT is an absolute bust. Has a bunch of other high 4 star recruits and they are non-factors. Zero development with this group. Embarrassing.

Tony Alford - Keeps getting taken advantage of by south florida RBs. Day needs to literally sit him down and tell him if he sets foot in Florida again he is fired on the spot. Midwest/Rust Belt/NJ/VA/TX RBs - do not scout anywhere else

Hartline - Hartline is fantastic but I am starting to question the WR group. 2 WRs from the 23 class have decommitted and everyone other than Marvin Harrison Jr kinda sucked this year. What is that all about?

And most importantly - THE CULTURE - this looks like a very serious issue right now. A lot of smoke that the WHAC is a "country club atmosphere" right now - very soft, not practicing hard, no leadership, etc. This is why Day needs to go IMHO. This program is extremely soft right now and that is why it is getting abused by Michigan. Michigan is going to likely lose everyone this offseason and I still think Michigan beats OSU in Columbus next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Isn't all of DeBoers ties to the West Coast?
    So? Dude can coach. And I don't think so - he is from South Dakota, went to and coached at Souix Falls before going to Southern Illinois and then being OC at Indiana. He then went to Fresno St and then Washington.

Couple other must-do's this January

Parker Fleming (Special Teams Coordinator) - the fact it is now January 2nd and this guy has not been fired yet is alarming. What in the world is Day waiting for?
    Absolutely. Convert Fleming into Laurnaitis.

Corey Dennis (AKA Urban Meyer's son-in-law - seriously, literally Urban Meyer's son-in-law) is the QB coach and it is being rumored he was skipping practice and meetings with the QBs leading up to the Cotton Bowl - why is this guy not fired yet? Nepotism is poison, this guy needs to be fired immediately. Day coaches the starting QB and Dennis coaches the backups, Brown and Keinholtz looked 100% unprepared for the Cotton Bowl. How does that happen at OSU?
    This is the most important change IMO. Bring somebody in with playcalling experience to mentor the QBs and let Day be the CEO of the program.

Justin Frye - OL Coach. The OL is an absolute disaster, this guy has had 2 years. Buh bye.
    I'd give him another year but don't care too much one way or the other.

Larry Johnson - Needs to retire, he is a dinosaur, the DL has been regressing for years. Used to be a gamewrecker, not it is a liabiity most of the time. Had the two top DL in the 21 class and turned them into mediocre players - Sawyer looked very good in the Cotton Bowl, but JTT is an absolute bust. Has a bunch of other high 4 star recruits and they are non-factors. Zero development with this group. Embarrassing.
    The D line looked good against Missouri and held their own against Michigan. Changing position coaches is disruptive to recruiting and can cause you to hemorrhage players on the current roster as well. Johnson's well respected and earned the right to leave on his own accord as long as his units continue to play well.

Hartline - Hartline is fantastic but I am starting to question the WR group. 2 WRs from the 23 class have decommitted and everyone other than Marvin Harrison Jr kinda sucked this year. What is that all about?
    There were four receivers in the class and the guys who saw the field are staying. If two receivers from each recruiting class contribute that is a recipe for success. Edgbuka was hurt and the rest was a reflection on McCord's play.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Changing position coaches is disruptive to recruiting and can cause you to hemorrhage players on the current roster as well. Johnson's well respected and earned the right to leave on his own accord as long as his units continue to play well.
    They already are hemorrhaging players on the current roster and the unit is not playing well. IIRC they did not sack JJ McCarthy once. Inexcusable.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree if you don’t think OSU had one of the best D lines in the country in 2023.

9. Likes:

bucksfan2 (01-02-2024),GAC (01-11-2024),Hillsdale87 (01-05-2024),RiverRat13 (01-02-2024)

Hadn't heard the Corey Dennis skipping meetings rumors but there would be some irony there of Urban Meyer's son-in-law doing the same thing that the nepo guy who cost Urban his job did.

Haha you gotta get off the 11W message boards man, that’s like cat nip for you.

They are likely bringing in an experienced QB, having a ton of the junior class come back and are about to be completely loaded and possibly the preseason 1. There isn’t a problem with the culture. Nothing “flipped” in Columbus. They lost a tough game to Michigan that they also could have won. That sucks.

They need to get rid of Fleming so Laurinitis can be a coach and recruit full time. I’d like to see Dennis go, mostly because I’d like there to be someone that’s older with more experience on the staff.

Frye did a pretty good job this year. I don’t give a crap about how the line looked in the cotton bowl, that’s not indicative of how they got better throughout the year, which they undoubtedly did.

Same with LJ. Sawyer and Williams showed a ton of progression. JTT I’d say was flat, but is still a good pressure guy, more sacks would be nice. He can’t coach forever, and it’s hard to say that his age isn’t impacting recruiting at some level, but he’s always been billed as a developer and well guys are getting better under him.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 01-02-2024 at 02:20 PM.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-02-2024),GAC (01-11-2024)

We’ll just have to agree to disagree if you don’t think OSU had one of the best D lines in the country in 2023.
    https://www.teamrankings.com/college...sacks-per-game

sacks per game

OSU ranked 60th.

That is terrible. I know that is not the only thing defensive lines do, but that was their bread and butter during the Bosas and Young years. Sacks blow up possessions. OSU is not blowing up possessions. They are just containing offenses. That works against teams like Michigan St, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc, but when you play the likes of Michigan you are going to lose. Michigan is going to win the national championship because they are getting to the QB. OSU is not getting to the QB and the team is in turmoil.

They already are hemorrhaging players on the current roster and the unit is not playing well. IIRC they did not sack JJ McCarthy once. Inexcusable.
    Neither did Alabama. Michigan has 4 or 5 nfl guys on their line and McCarthy is mobile.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-05-2024)

The defense played well enough to beat Michigan. It came down to the wire in Ann Arbor. Offense is where they need to progress.

The defense played well enough to beat Michigan. It came down to the wire in Ann Arbor. Offense is where they need to progress.
    Pardon me if I do not celebrate giving up 30 points.

I completely agree the offense is where they need to progress moreso, but they need to progress in every aspect of the game if they want to re-take the rivalry and win a national title. As of right now this program isn't remotely close to good enough to win a national championship in the coming years.

With regard to Frye, the OL Coach, can someone please explain to me how this happens at Ohio State?

https://twitter.com/BuckeyesNetwork/...ne-more-season

I mean they were really close to beating Michigan in Ann Arbor against their best team in a generation and if they do that I think they’d be playing for a national title. If a bunch of NFL talent juniors return for their senior season obviously the program can win a natty.

20. Likes:

jimbo (01-03-2024),Revering4Blue (01-05-2024)

Turn Off Ads?