Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Justbaseball Top 15

Aristocratic Hoosier j.u.FAIRFIIELD's Avatar

Re: Justbaseball Top 15

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think about things like brain and physical development. At 20 years old (Arroyo will be at AA at age 20), the brain still is developing. That means skills are acquired much easier than someone who's brain has fully developed. Full brain development happens by age 26 or so. Physical peak is at 27. So if Dunn breaks in at 25 or 26 this year, and establishes by next year at age 26-27, he's already going to be on a physical decline by then. And the delay in playing, because of covid and injuries, makes picking up the needed skills to succeed at the majors way more difficult. Not saying it's impossible; baseball definitely has its share of late bloomers. But the reality is that most of the people on Dunn's career arc never make a dent in the majors and wind up a footnote at best. I'm not rooting against the guy, but if you asked me to make a bet, I'm taking the field.
    I honestly never ever imagined we'd be talking about brains when I joined this forum.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    I honestly never ever imagined we'd be talking about brains when I joined this forum.
    I'm surprised it's not talked about more. The biology and physiology of both the brain and the body are vital to the success of a ballplayer. For instance, it takes about 0.125 seconds for a top hitter to map out the path the ball is likely to take as it approaches the plate, and decide whether or not to swing.

Here's an article that describes it better than I ever could: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...256_story.html
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Aristocratic Hoosier j.u.FAIRFIIELD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm surprised it's not talked about more. The biology and physiology of both the brain and the body are vital to the success of a ballplayer. For instance, it takes about 0.125 seconds for a top hitter to map out the path the ball is likely to take as it approaches the plate, and decide whether or not to swing.

Here's an article that describes it better than I ever could: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...256_story.html
    We are only a decade or two removed from realizing that chewing tobacco is as bad as smoking, so I doubt very many people in a dugout will say more than, "hitting a baseball is a mother--------."
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Baseball America just released its top ten prospects for each team. Can anyone tell us the Reds list?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Baseball America just released its top ten prospects for each team. Can anyone tell us the Reds list?
    Newly signed Adolfo Sanchez was 15.

Just Baseball is my favorite of all the national guys. Aram Leighton does a great job

they did a show on the Reds prospects a month ago.

https://youtu.be/C0nGA8sKWO0?si=7i9pT_TOJZrQFFMU

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-11-2024)

Turn Off Ads?