Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2024 Jaguars - Oh no, we suck again

Re: The 2024 Jaguars - Oh no, we suck again

The #Jaguars are planning to release CB Darious Williams, source said, in a move to create cap space. He had a $10.5M cap hit. He had 9 passes defended and four INTs last year.

This creates more room to franchise tag star pass-rusher Josh Allen.
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/...41IEZQ26s%3D19

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've been very down on the Jags all off-season. I'm not optimistic about where the club is or where it is heading. And it all starts with Shad Khan. What you want from an owner is to hire good football people and get out of the way. Shad Khan is a terrible judge of people. How he succeeded in the auto business is beyond me. Essentially every hire he has made has been bad. And then (with the exception of Urban Meyer) he sticks with them forever.

Khan took over in 2012 and on advice from previous owner Wayne Weaver kept GM Gene Smith. But Khan hired Mike Mularkey who lasted one year. One year later Khan fired Smith and hired Dave Caldwell as GM, and the same day they fired Mularkey.

Caldwell turned out to be a terrible GM and Khan stuck with him thru 8 miserable seasons. Between Khan and Caldwell they hired Gus Bradley who was terrible and he lasted 4 years while winning .22% of his games. Khan/Caldwell (probably Khan) hired interim Doug Marrone as head coach and we suffered thru 4 more seasons of 34% wining.

Finally in late 2020 Caldwell fired Caldwell. In January of 2020 the Jags hired Trent Baalke as Director of Player Personnel and once again Khan hired the interim. Khan then hired Urban Meyer. After less than a season he fired Urban. He then tried VERY. VERY hard to make an incredibly stupid decision to hire Byron Leftwich as HC when no one else in football would give him a job. But Leftwich wanted Baalke gone, and Khan went with Baalke. Most people think Baalke holds some Svengali power over Khan.

Jags circled back to Doug Pederson, who had indicated a willingness to work with Baalke.

Baalke should have been let go after the collapse this season when he failed to address concerns that everyone had on the offensive and defensive lines. At the end of season press conference a reporter asked him about the fact that they didn't bring in one of the many available free agent pass rushers. Baalke asked "I'd like to know who all these available pass rushers were?" And the reporter listed about 7 of them. Baalkes response? "I don't like to live in the past".

Most observers felt Baalke was subtlety placing blame on the season on Pederson.

Since then Baalke failed to handle the most important issue facing the Jags which was to get Josh Allen signed to long term deal so they could (if they wanted) use franchise tag on Calvin Ridley. But as late as the start of the Senior Bowl week, Josh Allen said Jags had not talked to his people yet. In the end the Jags had to franchise Allen and let Ridley test FA.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 03-07-2024 at 11:37 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Jags had a problem at offensive line, where we were incredibly expensive yet incredibly non-physical. People entered the off-season thinking there would be a major overhaul. Instead ot seems like Jags are repeating the mantra they did with DL line last year saying "we're fine".

It appears the Jags are getting the band back together. We did not cut incredibly expensive Cam Robinson, we have resigned Ezra Cleveland to an expensive deal, and we are restructuring Brandon Schreff to keep him around. The only possible spot it seems tey might address is cnter.

In a very interesting deal the Jags traded a 6th rounder for Jax native and former 1st rounder Mac Jones. Jones is on the last year of his rookie deal so he's cheap at 2 million. There's no way Jags pick up his 5th year option so he's on a 1 year deal n a year where we've already signed a backup QB (Beathard) to a deal for 1.9 million.

So either way Jags need a backup after this year.

The #Jaguars have agreed to terms with C Mitch Morse on a two-year, $10.5 million deal with $7 million guaranteed, sources tell me and @RapSheet. Morse, released by the #Bills last week, reunites with Doug Pederson, his offensive coordinator with the #Chiefs.

So, it appears our OL is Cam Robinson(LT), Ezra Cleveland (LG), Mitch Morse (C), Brandon Scherff (RG), and Anton Harrison (RT) with Walker Little backing things up.

Jags raid Buffalo again for a 3 year, 39 million dollar deal for WR Gabe Davis. Seems expensive. Makes me think that Ridley return isn't happening. Davis worked with our WR Coach previously and supposedly Mitch Morse "raved" about him

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    The #Jaguars aren't done: Sources say they are signing former #Packers S Darnell Savage to a 3-year deal.

All-Pro special teams player Devin Duvernay has agreed to a deal with the #Jaguars.

He gets a 2-year deal worth $8.5M base, with offensive upside to $12.5M per his agent @ErikBurkhardt of @RocNationSports

Gotta give credit. The Jags have went all in the last two years in FA. I think this is poop or get off the pot for Trevor Lawrence though.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Oh and BTW, in a absolutely funny bit, there's a local insider named Dilla on Twitter. And about 6 weeks ago, he found GM Trent Baalke's Twitter burner account. And of course, at first you're skeptical until you examine the evidence and it becomes 100% obvious that he did.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Oh and BTW, in a absolutely funny bit, there's a local insider named Dilla on Twitter. And about 6 weeks ago, he found GM Trent Baalke's Twitter burner account. And of course, at first you're skeptical until you examine the evidence and it becomes 100% obvious that he did.
    Dilla is awesome

So far,

Trade a 2024 6th round draft pick for QB Mac Jones. Gives the team great depth behind Lawrence (as Beathard is reportedly banged up).
    Signed C Mitch Morse (2/10.5). Replaces Fortner who graded out as the 2nd worst C in the NFL in 2023.
    Signed WR Gabe Davis (3/39). No telling what happens with Rid but Kirk + Davis is going to be dynamic with the former working the intermediate routes and Davis taking the top off the secondaries.
    Signed S Darnell Savage (3/21). Replaces Jenkins
    Signed WR Devin Duvernay (2/8.5). Looks like replacement for Jamal Agnew
    Signed CB Ronald Darby (2/10). Will compete for CB #2 spot after Darious Williams released.
    Extended OL Blake Hance. OL depth

Don't know about you Rojo, but if Ridley walks..... I'm ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Don't know about you Rojo, but if Ridley walks..... I'm ok with it.
    I'm with you on that one.

Reports today are that Ridley is set to re-sign with Jags at 4:01 PM.

By not extending him and instead re-signing him the Jaguars will owe the Falcons their 2024 3rd round pick instead of their 2nd round pick.

Turn Off Ads?