Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Re: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

And, as Bengals' fans have looked at getting back Perine, I think that Payton would prefer to keep him over McLaughlin, should DEN decide to go with 3 RB's instead of 4 (they are keeping a FB, too). McLaughlin can also return kicks, so for the Bengals, he could serve multiple purposes. Behind our massive O-Line, he should average 4.5-yds/carry, while he's shown he can handle a full-time load should he be needed to on occasion (Bengals like to use RB's full-time, not split a game between two backs with 15 carries each). One reason not mentioned in the article on why DEN would choose to keep Perine over McLaughlin (besides the fact that Perine's experience is more trust-worthy for Payton), is that Perine wouldn't even generate a conditional-7th Round pick and would have to be released, but McLaughlin would at least generate a conditional-6th/7th Round pick at the age of 23 and under a good contract.

Here's DEN's situation...

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...ncos-rbs-group

Latest On Broncos’ RBs Group

July 7th, 2024 at 8:30pm CST by Ely Allen

It’s certainly safe to say that the Broncos’ two-year tenure with Russell Wilson leading the offense did not go as planned. While Wilson himself certainly could’ve been the key factor in his team’s underwhelming performances, a lack of support was a factor, as well. Over the past two seasons, the Broncos were one of only two teams without a 1,000-yard rusher or receiver, the other being the Ravens, who have the luxury of a fielding a two-time MVP at quarterback and a top defensive unit. With Wilson now out in Pittsburgh, the Broncos’ supporting skill players are going to be that much more crucial to the team’s success in 2024. And with the Jerry Jeudy joining Wilson in the AFC North, the running backs, in particular, are going to need to step up for a brand-new quarterbacks groups.

The team’s top three rushers from last season – Javonte Williams (217 attempts-774 rushing yards-3 rushing touchdowns), Jaleel McLaughlin (76-410-1), and Samaje Perine (53-238-1) – all return to the roster in 2024. Additionally, the team added Notre Dame rusher Audric Estime in the fifth round of this year’s draft and Memphis-product Blake Watson as an undrafted free agent. With fullback Michael Burton all but guaranteed a spot on the initial 53-man roster, per ESPN’s Jeff Legwold, that leaves three or, maybe, four roster spots over which the above players will compete. Williams is a likely lock for a roster spot. The former second-round pick has yet to record a 1,000-yard season or score more than four touchdowns in a year, but he’s been their best rusher over his three years in the league, despite being hindered by injury. And, while Watson flashed at times in the team’s spring program, he’s likely the first odd man out, though he could wind up on the practice squad. That leaves two or three spots for three players. Denver could decide to roll with four running backs and a fullback and eliminate the need for a decision, but more likely, Burton’s presence on the roster will probably limit the Broncos to three roster spots for four backs.

As an undrafted rookie out of Youngstown State, McLaughlin showed up in a big way as Williams dealt with an injury early last season. McLaughlin got the nod over Perine in those few games, but for most of the season, they held similar rushing responsibilities behind Williams. The big difference is that Perine was, by far, the team’s best receiving back throughout the year. Perine’s 455 receiving yards outpaced both Williams (228) and McLaughlin (160) combined, though the latter two both had two scores each through the air to Perine’s zero. With 2,261 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns for the Fighting Irish in the past two seasons, Estime could potentially bring a production that was lacking in the room last season. At 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, Estime also brings a physical presence to the room that wasn’t there last year.

It’s difficult to determine who holds more value between McLaughlin and Perine. Perine holds the obvious advantage of experience and receiving prowess, while McLaughlin was relied upon in Williams’ absence last year and, at 23 years old, has much more tread on his tires on a much cheaper contract. Then, consider if Estime provides more value than either player, and the decision muddies even further. In the end, Denver may decide that it serves the team best to hold on to all four running backs going into the season. If not, the Broncos decision could come down to whether they prefer the experience of Perine, the contract of McLaughlin, or the potential of Estime.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

Redhook (07-09-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Get to know Jermaine Burton...

https://www.bengals.com/news/get-to-...ermaine-burton

Here is Houshmandzadeh's scouting report:

"Explosive. Tough. Explosive. Fast. His route running has improved a ton. If he goes to Cincinnati and locks in the way he's supposed to, you're talking about explosiveness on the outside. Wow. Him and Ja'Marr. That's explosiveness at its finest." Burton has been working on the outside with Houshmandzadeh. He's not sure if Burton can play the slot, but he knows the Bengals no longer have Tyler Boyd in there. "Now that I see what he has in Cincinnati with him and Tee and Ja'Marr, we're going to start working the slot the next few weeks. Working on being savvy in space. That's next on the agenda," Houshmandzadeh said.

"It's honestly amazing having T.J. train me throughout these last few years even going into college. Working with him is honestly great," Burton said. "Just to know his history and his background with the game of football and his knowledge and see the way he thinks. The way he puts it into the drills and the way he talks to you and his terminology really helps me. We also developed a relationship to the point where we talk about other things like maturity and growth."
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-10-2024),Redhook (07-09-2024)

TJ Houshmandzadeh really was something special as a player.

Those who never got to see him play...

He was a 7th rounder. Stepped right in and was Pippen to Chad Johnson's Michael Jordan.

He was a slot receiver. Back then, that meant taking some serious punishment. And he did. Always popped right up, handed the ball to the ref.

It's great to see he has grown into a darn fine coach as well.

Hands down, one of my favorite Bengals from the Marvin era.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-10-2024)

Joe Burrow has some thoughts on the length of the season and the Pro Bowl.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-burrow-...230831440.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    TJ Houshmandzadeh really was something special as a player.

Those who never got to see him play...

He was a 7th rounder. Stepped right in and was Pippen to Chad Johnson's Michael Jordan.

He was a slot receiver. Back then, that meant taking some serious punishment. And he did. Always popped right up, handed the ball to the ref.

It's great to see he has grown into a darn fine coach as well.

Hands down, one of my favorite Bengals from the Marvin era.
    Yes. His ability to go inside and catch everything he could get to allowed Carson Palmer to lead the league year after year in 3rd Down conversion percentage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Joe Burrow has some thoughts on the length of the season and the Pro Bowl.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-burrow-...230831440.html
    It's going to take the best players in the league to force the Owners to give up the idea of an 18-game season, unless the Owners are willing to expand the rosters to at least 6 more players (owners are only likely to allow for 2 more players). More can go on the IL now, with it easier to activate and put someone on the IL than it was before and that gives some roster flexibility.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-15-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It's going to take the best players in the league to force the Owners to give up the idea of an 18-game season, unless the Owners are willing to expand the rosters to at least 6 more players (owners are only likely to allow for 2 more players). More can go on the IL now, with it easier to activate and put someone on the IL than it was before and that gives some roster flexibility.
    I could be wrong, but I believe the players are only played for regular season games, they don't get a game check (or the same game check) for preseason games.

I think the fans and owners want to see a 2 game pre-season with a 18 game regular season. The players could come around to that if the revenue is boosted and they get an extra bye week.

FWIW I think the ideal way to do it is one normal bye week and a bye week that precedes a TNF game. That would make the TNF product better and keep the standard by week the same.

The complicated thing is season ending injuries are still season ending regardless of the length of the season or an extra bye week.

13. Likes:

RiverRat13 (07-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe the players are only played for regular season games, they don't get a game check (or the same game check) for preseason games.

I think the fans and owners want to see a 2 game pre-season with a 18 game regular season. The players could come around to that if the revenue is boosted and they get an extra bye week.

FWIW I think the ideal way to do it is one normal bye week and a bye week that precedes a TNF game. That would make the TNF product better and keep the standard by week the same.

The complicated thing is season ending injuries are still season ending regardless of the length of the season or an extra bye week.
    Two bye weeks are definitely needed. These players bodies need to rest. That, in and of itself, will improve the product. How good is the product when we have some of the crappy Quarterbacks playing so many games, while a game doesn't go by any more without both teams missing many of their Starters.

The negotiating window for extending tagged players closed July 15th. All tagged players agreed to a new contract, except for Tee Higgins. Higgins will play under the tag for 2024-2025.

Found this interesting from The Athletic today:

Judging by their crown jewel Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average number, the Bengals had the eighth toughest schedule in the NFL since 1979 and the toughest any team has endured since 2015. With the combination of the AFC North playing to historic levels and a first-place schedule beyond that including San Francisco, Buffalo and Kansas City, not enough was made about the immense challenges.

In fact, of the 12 toughest schedules faced by any team since 1979, nobody won more games than the Bengals. More than half lost double-digit games. Considering all that went wrong with the quarterback and the level of opponents, those nine wins look quite a bit shinier. It certainly provides hope for 2024.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/564...hedule-trends/
    Its what happens when you play a 1st place schedule, but in hindsight that was a pretty tough schedule.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-17-2024),WrongVerb (07-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Found this interesting from The Athletic today:

Its what happens when you play a 1st place schedule, but in hindsight that was a pretty tough schedule.
    It wasn't just any first place schedule. It was a historic first place schedule. Considering that Burrow was rarely healthy, it was an amazing season. It should pay benefits this year with a last place schedule but they still play in the toughest division

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-17-2024)

Nine wins last year was very decent. The division being so good makes any season tough but I still think it's going to feel like they're playing on easy mode this year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-17-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Those teams since 1979, I'd like to know what their records were in the season after they played the tough schedules. I'm more curious than anything.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Those teams since 1979, I'd like to know what their records were in the season after they played the tough schedules. I'm more curious than anything.
    I think the plus/minus would be interesting more than total record since some of the teams might be good, some might have been bad. Can't control for player movement the teams had in the offseason but I bet the teams were healthily in the plus wins column.

It's an AFC North gripe, but the NFL has been pretty unbalanced since they went to 8 divisions.

Since 2002, the AFC North has had 2 playoff teams 13x (and a 3rd playoff team 4x).

The NFC South has had 2 playoff teams 8x and 3 playoff teams ONCE.

It's more complicated than that of course, but wild.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think the plus/minus would be interesting more than total record since some of the teams might be good, some might have been bad. Can't control for player movement the teams had in the offseason but I bet the teams were healthily in the plus wins column.

It's an AFC North gripe, but the NFL has been pretty unbalanced since they went to 8 divisions.

Since 2002, the AFC North has had 2 playoff teams 13x (and a 3rd playoff team 4x).

The NFC South has had 2 playoff teams 8x and 3 playoff teams ONCE.

It's more complicated than that of course, but wild.
    Ever since Marvin got to the Bengals the AFC North has been one of the most competitive divisions in the game.

Not that it would have mattered, but the Pats during their reign skated into the playoffs more often than not. Same thing with the Manning led Colts, the AFC south was a fairly weak conference.

While KC is probably the best team in football (or has the best QB) the AFC west has been a weak division giving the Chiefs an easy route to the #1 seed.

I think Divisional strength matters with seeding in the playoffs. The tougher the division, the less likely to get the one bye and Home Field throughout the playoffs.

25. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-18-2024),Sea Ray (07-18-2024)

Turn Off Ads?