Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Re: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Do they plan on redshirting their 1st round pick? Or is that just how their draft board falls? And as I say that I remember Murphy and Dax Hill had pretty limited rolls in their rookie seasons only to have things expected of them moving forward.

I think teams get in trouble when they draft need over BPA. Go out there and get the best guy on your board (as long as it isn't a position where you don't need help, QB, LB.) If it just so happens that the BPA is a tackle, go ahead and draft him. The NFL season is a grind and you may need that backup T.
    They do really need to follow their own draft board. There's not a position other than QB that they can't use the BPA. Ideally, you want to hit an All-Pro in the 1st Round, even at #18, if you can. You definitely want to draft a 7-year Starter. Your best chance at doing this is to go BPA...everything else can be worked out. If the BPA bumps a Starter, then you have someone you can trade for need. Draft for talent, get need through Free Agency and Trades.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sure seems like Burrow is going to line up out of the shotgun 80% of the time this season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sure seems like Burrow is going to line up out of the shotgun 80% of the time this season.
    If they try to run 80% snaps out of shotgun this season, we're gonna see Browning again. They can't be that stupid again, can they?

Burrow's career so far has been comprised of one Super Bowl run, and other seasons spent learning the same stupid lesson over and over again. (Running an offense almost strictly out of shotgun makes the offense one-dimensional and puts your QB at increased risk because it's tougher to pass block out of it)
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

What gives you that impression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If they try to run 80% snaps out of shotgun this season, we're gonna see Browning again. They can't be that stupid again, can they?

Burrow's career so far has been comprised of one Super Bowl run, and other seasons spent learning the same stupid lesson over and over again. (Running an offense almost strictly out of shotgun makes the offense one-dimensional and puts your QB at increased risk because it's tougher to pass block out of it)
    Burrow's career has been comprised of one Super Bowl run and another AFC Title Game run. Pretty impressive to me.

7. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (03-28-2024),RiverRat13 (03-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Burrow's career has been comprised of one Super Bowl run and another AFC Title Game run. Pretty impressive to me.
    Burrow has had a lot of success but has taken quite the beating for being a pocket passing QB.

What many don't seem to realize, is how difficult it is to pass-block out of shotgun, particularly when the defense doesn't even need to gameplan for plays run directly under center. Essentially, there's a larger window of protection assigned to each offensive lineman, particularly the tackles. And unless it's a draw play out of shotgun, the interior defensive linemen have an extra second or two to see if it is a run play or not, so they can basically "tee-off" every down, initially, and then adjust to the run if needed.

tl;dr is, running almost exclusively out of shotgun makes the offense REALLY one-dimensional. And as a result, the chain of plays we typically see with Burrow is, great pass, great pass, great pass, BOOM! hard shot to the knees. great pass, great pass, great pass, BOOM! Burrow thrown hard to the grass, slow to get up. Etc.

If they don't figure out a way to get Burrow under center more, they're gonna get that boy killed.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

Burrow has had a lot of success but has taken quite the beating for being a pocket passing QB.

What many don't seem to realize, is how difficult it is to pass-block out of shotgun, particularly when the defense doesn't even need to gameplan for plays run directly under center. Essentially, there's a larger window of protection assigned to each offensive lineman, particularly the tackles. And unless it's a draw play out of shotgun, the interior defensive linemen have an extra second or two to see if it is a run play or not, so they can basically "tee-off" every down, initially, and then adjust to the run if needed.

tl;dr is, running almost exclusively out of shotgun makes the offense REALLY one-dimensional. And the chain of plays we typically see with Burrow is, great pass, great pass, great pass, BOOM! hard shot to the knees. great pass, great pass, great pass, BOOM! Burrow thrown hard to the grass, slow to get up. Etc.

If they don't figure out a way to get Burrow under center more, they're gonna get that boy killed.
    League average of shotgun snaps is close to 70%. The Bengals aren't some great outlier. They were the first few games when they were exclusively shotgun to protect Burrow's injured leg. As I posted before, in 2022, the five teams with the highest percentage of snaps out of the gun were Arizona, Philly, Baltimore, KC, and Cincinnati. Three of those teams made the Conference Championship games. The league is cyclical so maybe you start seeing more teams going under center to combat all of the two-high defenses are playing to take away explosive passing plays. The Bengals have a powerful but unathletic offensive line, so you aren't going to see them all of a sudden go under center half of the time and run the Shanahan zone game. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them closer to league average.

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-29-2024)

I think we will probably see something similar to what he did when healthy against SF...that game he ran 17 plays under center. Just enough to keep the defense honest.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

12. Likes:

RiverRat13 (03-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think we will probably see something similar to what he did when healthy against SF...that game he ran 17 plays under center. Just enough to keep the defense honest.
    Agreed, and that's probably all he needs to do.

Of course, they can't all be run plays under center. Comically, they actually tried that.

Agreed, and that's probably all he needs to do.

Of course, they can't all be run plays under center. Comically, they actually tried that.
    Too lazy to try to find it, but if memory serves, Burrow was deadly in that game on play-action from under center. Then again, he was deadly on everything that day.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Too lazy to try to find it, but if memory serves, Burrow was deadly in that game on play-action from under center. Then again, he was deadly on everything that day.
    I remember differently. I remember the defense tee-ing off on the run game after they realized the Bengals didn't have any pass plays under center in the playbook.

I would love to see Burrow develop a deadly play-action but I haven't seen them risk that too many times under center.

They have the blocking to get it done for the very first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    What gives you that impression?

The new RT, the new TE, the new RB, that they were 2nd in percentage of passes thrown per play last year in the NFL without Burrow for most of the season, that Higgins isn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-01-2024 at 12:50 AM.

The new RT, the new TE, the new RB, that they were 2nd in percentage of passes thrown per play last year in the NFL without Burrow for most of the season, that Higgins isn't going anywhere.
    Ok. I didn't know if you'd seen an article where they were talking about it. I'm still hopeful that we will see more of a change this year, but who knows. They'll still be heavy shotgun, but last year proved that there are more dimensions to the offense if Burrow can get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Ok. I didn't know if you'd seen an article where they were talking about it. I'm still hopeful that we will see more of a change this year, but who knows. They'll still be heavy shotgun, but last year proved that there are more dimensions to the offense if Burrow can get used to it.

They'll still run it 25% of the time when they are in shotgun.

Turn Off Ads?