Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Re: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Nick Saban on Bengals draft pick Mims:

“In the SEC championship he was on the field for the first 15 snaps and then took himself out. You tell me what that says about him as a player”
    Nick was not kind....

The entire comment for context:

“This guy’s got all the tools -- he’s got great size, he’s got great power,” Saban said. “But it makes you wonder, how did the guy only start 8 [games?] Like, in the SEC championship game, he played only the first 15 plays of the game and then he’s out. Takes himself out. I don’t know what he injured, what he hurt, whatever. But you’ve got to be a little bit more consistent in your performance if you’re going to be a great player and a starter in the National Football League.
    In fairness to Mims he did have ankle surgery during the season that caused him to miss 6 games...he's a project though small high school guy who will need time.

Once Murphy and the kid from Oregon State were gone I would have taken the corner from Toledo and penciled him in as the day 1 starter...though I do think Mims gets snaps this season.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-26-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Some scouting nuggets on Mims from draft gurus:

Brugler: “Overall, Mims isn’t as far along fundamentally (especially in the run game) as other tackles in the class, but he is a natural in pass protection with above-average length, footwork and body twitch to handle different types of edge rushers. Though there is projection involved with his draft grade, his best football is ahead of him, and he has the talent to become a long-term starter at left or right tackle.”

Kiper: “The biggest hands I’ve seen in a while. Long, long arms. Unbelievable arm length. Only eight starts, he had the ankle this year, but if you look at him, I love his footwork and agility for such a huge massive bookend. Run blocker, you talk about his powerful hands, he displaces defenders on initial contact and down blocking prowess, developing into a force at the second level, that can happen.

“As a pass blocker he’s still a bit raw, but he has pretty good movement, the power of a base anchor and arms to lock out.”

Zierlein: Talented tackle prospect carrying a picturesque frame and exciting NFL traits. Mims plays with pretty good technique and is ahead of the game with hand placement. He has the size and bend to create movement and adequate athleticism to make blocks on the move, although he can be inconsistent in that area. He uses a two-hand punch that causes him to lunge forward a bit, but that should be correctable. It is very rare to see him clearly beaten by a rusher, and he has the recovery talent to do something about it when it happens. Mims has more development to go, but he’s a Day 1 prospect with the traits and talent to be considered at either tackle position. He has a high ceiling, but questions due to his lack of experience could temper early expectations.

PFF data: In 2023, all 297 offensive snaps came at right tackle, and he allowed just one pressure. In 402 pass-protecting snaps over three seasons, also all at right tackle, he allowed zero sacks, zero hits and six total pressures, according to PFF. He was penalized once in his career.

He's a risk for sure but the upside is there...

Nate Tice of the Athletic said that Mims had the highest ceiling of any player in the draft, including Caleb Williams. That sounds a bit hyperbolic, but I'm good with the Bengals taking an extreme high ceiling guy with some risk in the profile at 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes:

Fil3232 (04-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Nick was not kind....

The entire comment for context:

In fairness to Mims he did have ankle surgery during the season that caused him to miss 6 games...he's a project though small high school guy who will need time.

Once Murphy and the kid from Oregon State were gone I would have taken the corner from Toledo and penciled him in as the day 1 starter...though I do think Mims gets snaps this season.
    Nick also admitted to trying to recruit kids to get in the transfer portal last night too.

He's going to be the Bob Knight of the NIL era of college football.

That said, id be more upset if Fuaga or Latham were still on the board. They spent a second round picks on corners the last two years so Mitchell would have been a luxury.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Let's hope Amarius Mims doesn't become known as Amarius Missed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Let's hope Amarius Mims doesn't become known as Amarius Missed.
    Well played...

I like the pick for one reason,...dedication to keeping Joe Burrow healthy. In the end, my biggest fear is that they wouldn't go O-Lineman with the 1st Pick. It's not quite the John Ross situation, but I'd rather swing for the fences than to draft another Jonah Williams. Jonah was simply bad at pass-blocking AND run-blocking. He didn't make those around him better, either. Mims is an elite pass-blocker and a road-grader, while he adds great depth for the team to get through a 21-game season, something that will be difficult for any of the Bengals' players. You need depth at every position because of the insane schedules and those stupid foreign and Thursday Night games. I'm guessing the Bengals knew they were going to take an OT back in January, while they would attempt to solidify the RT position with a quality Veteran to bridge the learning gap. Mission accomplished.

They did this last season with their 1st Round DE selection, looking ahead for Hendrickson's replacement. Shockingly, they extended Hendrickson's contract, something I didn't think they could afford to do. Bengals have a history of successful finds in the 2nd Round. I'm curious which of the player's they are targeting they will settle on.

EDGE CHRIS BRASWELL, ALABAMA
    DI KRIS JENKINS, MICHIGAN
    C JACKSON POWERS-JOHNSON, OREGON
    RB TREY BENSON, FLORIDA STATE (replace one Benson with another)
    WR TROY FRANKLIN, OREGON
    EDGE BRALEN TRICE, WASHINGTON
    DI BRADEN FISKE, FLORIDA STATE
    TE JA'TAVION SANDERS, TEXAS

So many great options when the Bengals make their 2nd Round pick. Same goes for the 3rd Round.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Kris Jenkins in round 2 is a good get, run stuffer with a non stop motor.

12. Likes:

Benihana (04-27-2024),Kingspoint (04-26-2024),LiferJim (04-26-2024)

Jermaine Burton in round 3

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Jermaine Burton in round 3

I will say this, of all the positions the Bengals draft, they tend to nail their WR picks so I trust them on this one.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

They haven't taken a ST player, yet. I'm expecting a TE or LB with the next pick.

Peyton Wilson

Cedric Gray

Ja'Tavion Sanders

Cade Stover
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-26-2024 at 10:35 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Would love them to take CB Khyree Jackson. Has the speed and measureables the Bengals look for, and he was productive in his 3 years, giving up only 2 TD's over that time with a 50% completion rate and under 8 yards per target.

I'm thinking Payton Wilson is the next pick for the Bengals.

Doubling up on DT. Nothing wrong with that.

19. Likes:

LiferJim (04-26-2024)

A Tyler Shevlin-like reach?

Or is this guy better?

Turn Off Ads?