Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Re: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I personally think Thursday night games are an abomination. I think they're unfair to the players unless they have the prior Sunday off.
    It cuts two ways. The NFL is being paid a tremendous amount from Amazon for TNF. And most football fans will turn on TNF at some point during the day to watch the game. I am unsure what the revenue sharing percentage is, but the players are getting a large chunk of that TV contract. So for all the complaining they do about TNF, they aren't going to give up that payday to eliminate TNF.

I think both teams like the mini bye week after the Thursday game. But if they are worried about the product, play TNF off a bye week and the quality will be better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It cuts two ways. The NFL is being paid a tremendous amount from Amazon for TNF. And most football fans will turn on TNF at some point during the day to watch the game. I am unsure what the revenue sharing percentage is, but the players are getting a large chunk of that TV contract. So for all the complaining they do about TNF, they aren't going to give up that payday to eliminate TNF.

I think both teams like the mini bye week after the Thursday game. But if they are worried about the product, play TNF off a bye week and the quality will be better.
    I think they'd be glad to give up the Thursday Night game for whatever difference they would be getting if there wasn't a Thursday Night game.

Most NFL fans do not watch the Amazon version of the Thursday Night Football game.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Bengals DE Sam Hubbard had extensive ankle surgery

Ben Baby, ESPN Staff Writer
    Apr 22, 2024, 12:37 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Sam Hubbard is feeling fortunate following an injury that was more severe than was initially believed. A right ankle issue that kept him out of two games last season required significant offseason surgery. On Monday, Hubbard said that he had a complete deltoid reconstruction in his ankle and a TightRope procedure to repair the ankle. "I'm thankful that I made it out with no cartilage damage and stuff like that, but it's all fixed," Hubbard said. The seventh-year player out of Ohio State said the issue bothered him as early as training camp in 2023. However, it became more severe later in the year. He appeared to aggravate the injury in a Week 9 win over the Buffalo Bills and missed the next two games. At the end of the season, a fluoroscopy revealed that it wasn't a routine ankle sprain.

"There was a lot of instability (in the ankle) that we found out later," Hubbard said." "Probably should have been fixed earlier, but you didn't know until we went in there." The reason he played through the issue, he said, was to give the Bengals a better shot of winning in the absence of quarterback Joe Burrow. Up until that point, Hubbard said he was playing at career-high levels. Through the first nine weeks of 2023, Hubbard ranked 28th in the NFL in pass rush win rate as an edge rusher (ESPN metric powered by NFL Next Gen Stats). From when he returned to the field on Week 12 until the end of the season, Hubbard ranked 49th out of 54 players in that category. "I kind of wanted to just be out there and was doing the best I could," Hubbard said. "I did want to burn that film from the back half of the year, but I'm going to get back to my old self. Got a long offseason of work ahead and I'm excited to be back with the guys."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-ankle-surgery
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Would be interested in seeing who your 7 losses are....I have them losing to Baltimore (away), Eagles, Pitts (away), Cleveland (away)...

I think they can beat KC if Rice is out/suspended and I think they take either of the Philly/Dallas games.
    4-4 in the AFC North + losses to Chiefs, Titans, and Eagles.

Just a guess... I like your list better, lol
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    4-4 in the AFC North + losses to Chiefs, Titans, and Eagles.

Just a guess... I like your list better, lol
    NFL teams play six intradivision games, so 3-3?

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think they'd be glad to give up the Thursday Night game for whatever difference they would be getting if there wasn't a Thursday Night game.

Most NFL fans do not watch the Amazon version of the Thursday Night Football game.
    Amazon paid the NFL 11 Billion for 11 seasons of TNF. The players aren't giving up 1B/year of revenue split close to 50/50.

FWIW I think the NFL should look towards playing Friday night games instead of Thursday night games. The quality would be better, I know it messes with high school football in some areas, but they could make that a huge event.

I also would like to see them work with College football more. I know they don't play on Saturday until the season is over, but now that you have the playoffs, why not work with College to schedule a day full of football.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-17-2024)

"So Fla Red"

They are playing the Sao Paulo game on Friday night so the precedent is now set

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Amazon paid the NFL 11 Billion for 11 seasons of TNF. The players aren't giving up 1B/year of revenue split close to 50/50.

FWIW I think the NFL should look towards playing Friday night games instead of Thursday night games. The quality would be better, I know it messes with high school football in some areas, but they could make that a huge event.

I also would like to see them work with College football more. I know they don't play on Saturday until the season is over, but now that you have the playoffs, why not work with College to schedule a day full of football.
    That 11Billion was the highest bid. We're talking about the difference with the 2nd place bid and Amazon's bid, split in half, divided among everyone who gets a share, lawyers, the NFL Admin, taxes, a whole lot of other expenses, and by the time the difference in checks gets to the average individual player, not that top 20% of salaries, but the median salary where all of the votes to make this decision would rest, then I do think they would rather not play Thursday Night games. The 2nd place bid could be for Saturday games instead, and I was typing this before I read your idea about Saturdays. That extra day would mean a lot. Especiall if any team that plays the Saturday games cannot have played the previous Monday or Sunday Night.

They should have bargained with Amazon (I despise Amazon) or whoever for three Saturday games every (at 12:00 EST, 4:00 EST and 8:00 EST). I wouldn't worry about working with the NCAA at all, as it has become a dog-eat-dog world inside of College Sports Broadcasting.

So, Tony Brown is missing Voluntary OTA's for personal reasons and Alex Cappa has taken our 1st Round pick, Sims, under his wing.

Love it!!!

Absolutely must-read:

https://www.bengals.com/news/cincinn...-history-stats

With the Bengals Ring of Honor voting opening Wednesday, we offer a ballot refresher course. Complete with analysis from one of the 11 candidates himself, long-time Bengals radio voice Dave Lapham who made these takes when the ballot was released in 2021. He played with six of the candidates and covered four.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-22 120832.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  81.4 KB

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-27-2024)

This is an easy vote for me:

#1 Lemar Parrish

#2 Max Montoya

#3 Tie between Tim Krumrie and Reggie Williams

We haven't had a Secondary Player like Lemar Parrish since Lemar Parrish. He's the best we ever had (Ken Riley says, "Hello"). Most of you never saw him play, but for those who did you know how good he was. When the Steelers and Dolphins were winning Super Bowls trying to get past the Raiders in the playoffs, they had to get by the Bengals, too. There were some elite WR's and QB's in the AFC during those years and Parrish solidified the 3rd Tier of Defense. A Bengals' fan felt confident having him back there as it wasn't an area where you ever worried about going into a game.

Max Montoya is the best Guard the Bengals ever had. He continued to be elite for the Raiders after the Bengals let him go. Always felt that the loss of Montoya was the beginning of the end of the Paul Brown era as cost-cutting and cheapness took over from that day forward. We never won another playoff game until the Joe Burrow era.

If the 49ers don't put in a play to intentionally injure Krumrie's leg and remove him from the game in the 1st Quarter (Krumrie was the best Nose Tackle in the NFL at the time, and teams simply did not run against him.), the Bengals easily beat the 49ers that day. Next to Kenny Anderson, he was the most important Bengals' player that year and especially, that day.

Reggie Williams, in my opinion, was the best team leader they ever had. His heart bled Cincinnati and he should have a bust in his honor somewhere in the City.

Chad Johnson and Boomer Esiason should not have gotten in before any of these guys or before David Fulcher or before Jim Breech.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-22-2024 at 03:34 PM.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-27-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Williams tops the list for me. That guy was a beast.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-22-2024)

Not at all easy for me.

Corey Dillon was a stud on some bad teams, but James Brooks was superb running annd receiving and perhaps a bit of a forgotten star.

Tim Krumrie was terrific, Bob Trumpy put up some nice numbers before tge league made the passing game easier, and Laphamís contributions as a player and broadcaster are long-term and probably deserving of this honor.

And this is all on top of what others have said about the others. I donít deny their worthiness either.

Breech was good but perhaps not on this level, and Collinsworth might deserve it too, but I think mist of the others are more worthy.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-22-2024)

My top choice would be Krumrie followed by Parrish. I think Collinsworth would be at the bottom of that list. I'd be hard pressed to put Collinsworth in the top 5 WRs ever for this franchise. I'd rank Carl Pickens above him

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My top choice would be Krumrie followed by Parrish. I think Collinsworth would be at the bottom of that list. I'd be hard pressed to put Collinsworth in the top 5 WRs ever for this franchise. I'd rank Carl Pickens above him
    Now heres a guy....

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?