Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2023-24 Part II: Thunderstruck

Re: NBA 2023-24 Part II: Thunderstruck

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Athletic’s Shams Charania reports that Jontay Porter has received a lifetime ban for disclosing confidential information to bettors.

The investigation found that Porter provided health information to bettors that led them to place large wagers on his performances. The bets included successful wagers on the Raptors losing and Porter underperforming, which triggered the investigation.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...40155503882592
    I wonder if this will affect his brother, Michael Porter Jr. He publicly defended Jontay. Cheaters cast a pall on their entire family, causing them embarrassment and shame.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-17-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Zion is diagnosed with a hamstring strain. He will miss the playin game v Sacramento. Very bad timing, and very bad luck. NO could go from #6 seed to the lottery in a week. Their whole offense is built around Zion. The alternative is CJ and DI going full-on chuck and duck mode.
    I don't think they were going to win the play-in game even with Williamson.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I wonder if this will affect his brother, Michael Porter Jr. He publicly defended Jontay. Cheaters cast a pall on their entire family, causing them embarrassment and shame.
    It will certainly get them to investigate MPJ, also, as any family member and close friend becomes part of the investigation.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Miami’s zone has flummoxed Philly in the first half. They are missing easy bunnies and wide open threes. Or maybe they want to avoid Boston and play Thibs’ Villanova brothel.

Gritty, gutsy win. Embiid is nowhere near right, but still finished with a team-high 23 points and 15 boards. Nic Batum went bonkers in the second half to carry Philly all the way back- pushing through 6 of 10 threes, finishing with 20 points in 28 minutes off the bench and playing excellent defense down the stretch. Great adjustments at the half by Nurse and Co.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

7. Likes:

goreds2 (04-17-2024),M2 (04-17-2024),Revering4Blue (04-17-2024)

When I see Embiid start draining those one-handed 180 shots off one leg I get very worried as a Knicks fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Gritty, gutsy win. Embiid is nowhere near right, but still finished with a team-high 23 points and 15 boards. Nic Batum went bonkers in the second half to carry Philly all the way back- pushing through 6 of 10 threes, finishing with 20 points in 28 minutes off the bench and playing excellent defense down the stretch. Great adjustments at the half by Nurse and Co.
    A shout out to Kelly Oubre's defense too. I don't think anyone expected him to put Jimmy Butler in his pocket, least of all Jimmy Butler.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Betterread (04-17-2024),Revering4Blue (04-17-2024),SteelSD (04-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A shout out to Kelly Oubre's defense too. I don't think anyone expected him to put Jimmy Butler in his pocket, least of all Jimmy Butler.
    I think his knee had more to do with that than Kelly Oubre. I am taking nothing away from Philly who played a great second half. It just seemed his knee was bothering him quite a bit.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 04-17-2024 at 10:23 PM.
    “ It is a shame what this worlds gotten to”

12. Likes:

Betterread (04-17-2024)

Love me some Oubre. That guy is underrated and is bound to be a thorn in the Knicks side all series. He's a creative scorer and scrappy as hell.

Yeah, I really hope Philly makes an effort to re-sign Oubre. He's not a terribly efficient scorer, but his athleticism and energy is contagious, his ability to drive (not a good "kick" passer though) is a plus, and he will put defense clamps on opposing players (but fouls a bit too much, and at dumb times).

Overall, I'd have a very hard time asking for more out of a guy who's signed to an NBA minimum contract. He'll get a raise from someone. Just dunno' how much.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

He looked good on defense in that Clippers game in the stretch run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I think his knee had more to do with that than Kelly Oubre. I am taking nothing away from Philly who played a great second half. It just seemed his knee was bothering him quite a bit.
    That's definitely part of it, but Oubre also was switching and playing everyone tough. Miami lives in the mid-range and Oubre's length was a real problem for them.

17. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (04-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I think you’re right about general soreness but Oubre both caused the hurt and pushed him around so he gets some credit.

19. Likes:

M2 (04-17-2024)

Coby White >>>>> Trae Young

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-18-2024),Puffy (04-18-2024)

All right, Atlanta has dived headfirst into the elimination pool. They finished 36-46 and went out pillowy soft in the 9-10 play-in game. The team that went to the 2021 EC Finals was a fluke and now it's dead. It's a dead fluke. 27th in the league in D Rating. Dead last in opponents' eFG%. And they were only 12th in O Rating, so it's not like they're super dangerous with the ball. They're just a bad team.

Even worse, they're an expensive bad team. They're going to be right up against the first tax apron next season. They might get the Kings' 1st round pick this season if Sacramento loses tomorrow. Otherwise that gets pushed into the future (which might be good for Atlanta, because two picks in this year's draft is probably not a great ticket to be holding). Unfortunately for them, their next three 1st round picks will be heading to San Antonio. So they're not going to benefit from a tank job until at least 2028. That basically puts them in basketball purgatory.

What can they do about it? My radical idea would be to trade everybody. I'm not joking. Trae Young is useless and they have to get rid of him before everybody else figures it out, but there isn't a keeper on the roster. I mean, maybe Jalen Johnson and Onyeka Okongwu. Yet no one's building a team around those two. Who should they trade for? If Minnesota puts KAT on the market, Atlanta could get into play for him. If Donovan Mitchell won't sign in Cleveland, maybe acquire him and hope you can convince him to stay (Quin Snyder was the coach who first unlocked his game). If LaMelo Ball is getting shopped, see if you can land him for Trae. Maybe Ball just needs a big city and Charlotte might just be crazy enough to want Trae.

But swapping out what they've got for a whole new hand to play seems like the way to go. It's either that or wait until 2028 to start a meaningful rebuild.

23. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (04-18-2024)

I agree on Atlanta. I'd trade Young as quickly as I could find a taker with a decent return. Murray is the superior player and is on a ridiculously team friendly deal for his age 28-30 seasons. The team should be built around Murray and Jalen Johnson.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 04-18-2024 at 07:40 AM.

25. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-18-2024),M2 (04-18-2024)

Turn Off Ads?