Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2023-24 Part II: Thunderstruck

Re: NBA 2023-24 Part II: Thunderstruck

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Minny is a nightmare match up for Dallas...
    Seems like it's going to be two teams fighting over pace Minnesota was 24th in pace. Dallas was 6th.

My question with Dallas is who's going to be their 3rd scorer? Got a feeling somebody other than P.J. Washington will need to step up. And I expect Minny will try to get Kyrie switched onto Ant as often as possible.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Karl-Anthony Towns finally had a signature moment with that follow up dunk to seal the series.
    He played great tonight. Game MVP, although it was really a team win. Effective wolf pack hunting wears down their prey until they can offer scant resistance!

4. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (05-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Effective wolf pack hunting wears down their prey until they can offer scant resistance!
    "Legs feed the wolf"

Herb Brooks

6. Likes:

Betterread (05-20-2024),M2 (05-20-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Rick Carlisle is down $35,000 for the series. Money well spent.

We still have a chance to see a Pacers/T'Wolves finals matchup. That would be immensely entertaining for so many reasons. Both teams are just so much fun to watch play. Grats to the Pacers for turning up their game, and to the T'Wolves for an historic comeback tonight.
    Just curious, how does the Pacers' series win fit into your conspiracy narrative that the NBA wanted the Knicks to keep winning? Or did that only apply to the series vs. your team?

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-20-2024)

All right, we've got three more teams in the year-end blender. The good news is that, unlike, some other recent bouncees, these teams all have fairly positive outlooks. First up is OKC. They were back in the playoffs for the first time in four years. Their last entry was that wacky Chris Paul/Danilo Gallinari season which kind of feels like it happened a million years ago.

They now have a million draft picks and a young team which managed to top the West. I was skeptical that their shooting would come together this season and I was incredibly wrong. They led the NBA in 3P% and were 3rd in eFG%. They were 3rd in O Rating and 4th in D Rating. SGA was the MVP runnerup. Jalen Williams is on the cusp of breaking out into full-fledged NBA stardom. Chet Holmgren would have been ROY in pretty much any other year. No one in their main playoff rotation was older than 25.

Their future's so bright they've got to wear those eclipse viewing shades people now have sitting around in their junk drawers.

So what do they need? Well, they could use a big dude. Spending some of their draft capital to move up might make some sense. Donovan Clingan would seem like an instant fit. There's some other bigs who might be good if they stick at #12 (Houston's pick). If they want to trade, there's guys like Clint Capella and Jakob Poeltl. They have the cap space to sign Nic Claxton or Jonas Valanciunas. Claxton is probably the move. Though let me just toss DeAndre Ayton out there as a possibility. OKC can afford him and the team is in go mode. It's got the draft picks to make the deal.

The other thing to watch is whether Josh Giddey remains part of their long-term plans. Cason Wallace is coming for his job and Giddey wasn't closing in playoff games. If he's on the table, that opens up all sorts of trade possibilities (e.g. to Cleveland for Donovan Mitchell or to Phoenix for KD).
    Last edited by M2; 05-20-2024 at 03:24 PM.

Next up we've got the New York Knickerbockers. They've got a city in love with them and they basically get the equivalent of a free agent talent infusion just from having their own guys get healthy. Hard to imagine they wouldn't be in the ECF if Julius Randle, Mitchell Robinson and Bogdan Bogdanovic were playing. Their first order of business will be locking up OG Anunoby, and it seems like there's a verbal agreement in place for that. They'll also want to retain Isaiah Hartenstein.

Once they do those things, they don't really have any money left or any salaries to trade. They could look to deal Randle or Bogey if the right guy (e.g. Mikal Bridges is available). Donovan Mitchell makes no sense playing next to Jalen Brunson. I suspect the guy they really want is Giannis, but he's at least another year away from deciding to bolt the Bucks. They have the assets to make KD happen, if he hits the market.

Yet, here's a nutty idea - what about Domantas Sabonis for Randle + Robinson + draft picks? Basically, he's an upgraded version of Randle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Just curious, how does the Pacers' series win fit into your conspiracy narrative that the NBA wanted the Knicks to keep winning? Or did that only apply to the series vs. your team?
    Don't target me with that nonsense. Clearly, Carlisle and the Pacers felt that the competition was so slanted against them that the filed a grievance- the second team in a row who unfortunately had to do that. Thankfully, this time the message stuck. Good. Hopefully, we will never again have to experience a 7 game playoff series where the winner has to win 6 to advance, like the Pacers did.

Sure was fun to watch the series once Carlisle's thirty five thousand dollar gambit resulted in the Knicks not being able to count on any more gift wins. Well, probably less fun for you, of course.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Now we come to the dethroned champions, the Denver Nuggets. They're a bit of a testament to how repeating ain't easy. As Michael Malone pointed out last night, they played into June last year and had to press until game 82 this year to secure their playoff seeding. That mileage accumulates. They gassed in the second half of game 7 against the Wolves.

Yet part of that gassing is a paper thin bench. The lack of a Bruce Brown was palpable. So, first order of business for Denver is to get Bruce Brown back. That's actually incredibly difficult because the Nuggets are past the 2nd apron. So, let me broach this here, would you trade Michael Porter for a re-engineered Brown contract (Toronto holds a team option on him at $23M that it may not exercise), a sign-and-trade on Jordan Nwora and a protected 1st round pick? Denver also has to worry about KCP opting for free agency and it needs to extend Jamal Murray after next season. So, some depth and cap relief for Porter might be necessary. Another team that maybe could be interested in Porter is Philly for resignees like Kelly Oubre and De'Anthony Melton (plus one of those Clippers picks).

Otherwise they're left hoping Christian Braun, Peyton Watson and Zeke Nnaji (who got a 4-year extension but played a total of 14 minutes in the playoffs) step up. I suppose a guy like Nic Batum might want to chase a ring on a veteran minimum contract. Marcus Morris still has a pulse. They'll also be sorting through guys like Xavier Tillman and Goga Bitadze for a backup C. Finding depth with no money is going to be a challenge.

Yet I don't want to skip the bright side. Jokic + Murray + Gordon makes Denver a top-tier contender, and they're all about to get some much-needed rest. If the team succeeds on adding playable depth, those guys should hit next May ready to kick ass and take names. The West still goes through Denver.
    Last edited by M2; 05-20-2024 at 02:18 PM.

The NBA is such a different game in the postseason. A lot of guys who aren't always vital to their team throughout the 82-game season become invaluable in certain series based on matchups.

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-21-2024),M2 (05-20-2024)

Tuesday, May 21
    Game 1: Celtics vs. Pacers, 8 p.m., ESPN

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...dvance-to-wcf/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Nice to see some new franchises that haven't been in the Conference Finals in a while in the Conference Finals.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

Chip R (05-22-2024),goreds2 (05-22-2024)

Jaylen Brown's last few seconds of regular time tonight are going straight to the op of his highlight reel.

19. Likes:

Chip R (05-22-2024)

That was a rough loss for the Pacers.

Got to hold on to the ball.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

21. Likes:

Chip R (05-22-2024),Revering4Blue (05-22-2024)

As miserable as it is to see him in a Celtic uniform, good for Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    As miserable as it is to see him in a Celtic uniform, good for Jrue.
    He really makes a difference. He does so many small things right. At the end of the game when the Pacers were trying to steal an inbounds pass, Jrue was the guy breaking free and passing out of the pressure. And when Turner had to cover Horford out on the wing, Jrue was just bulling his way through his markers down on the blocks. Love that guy.

24. Likes:

Chip R (05-22-2024),Revering4Blue (05-22-2024)

Turn Off Ads?