Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-24 MLB Off-Season News and Notes Part 2

Re: 2023-24 MLB Off-Season News and Notes Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Senzel, Winker, and now Law with the Nationals.
    I see a future Skyline franchise in the DC area

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-21-2024),HokieRed (02-23-2024),NebraskaRed (02-21-2024),Ron Madden (02-21-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Remember, when Jim Bowden was the new GM of the Nats?

They kinda looked like the Cincinnati Reds East.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-21-2024 at 06:43 PM.

5. Likes:

757690 (02-21-2024),Chip R (02-21-2024),cumberlandreds (02-21-2024),HokieRed (02-23-2024),M2 (02-21-2024),Old school 1983 (02-24-2024),Revering4Blue (02-22-2024),westofyou (02-21-2024)

JimBo back in charge over there?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

HokieRed (02-23-2024),Ron Madden (02-21-2024)

Just shows the Nats are in desperation mode.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Pirates extend Keller at 5/77. (Hey Mitch, there are a bunch of other teams that might appreciate you more.)

Marlins sign Tim Anderson to play SS. (Good move for both sides, IMO.)

Kodai Senga has a shoulder issue and won't be ready to start the season. (Gotta imagine the Mets might again be players for Montgomery or Snell.)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Pirates extend Keller at 5/77. (Hey Mitch, there are a bunch of other teams that might appreciate you more.)

Marlins sign Tim Anderson to play SS. (Good move for both sides, IMO.)

Kodai Senga has a shoulder issue and won't be ready to start the season. (Gotta imagine the Mets might again be players for Montgomery or Snell.)
    Tim Anderson is somewhat of a freak show. He's not far removed from being a big deal.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    He's got a 4.77 career ERA. I'm thinking getting paid is probably the right priority. Plus, if he starts being really good the Pirates will trade him to a contender for a package of prospects.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    "I've been in some meetings where my jaw dropped because we had to wait a day to trade a guy because it was going to save us $30,000," the former instructor said. "I was like, 'Oh my God, I can't believe I'm hearing this.' This is a $10 billion industry."

Not really sure I get the issue with this. I can assure you that in virtually every industry (often much larger than $10 billion) everyone is going to try to save $30k if it only involves waiting one day to take an action.
    That's probably why the Reds took 6 weeks (or more, I don't remember exactly what the front office said) to complete those deals to get them bullpen help a few years ago (the one with the Yankees that got us Cessa and others)..
    Meanwhile, the team's playoff chances were getting hurt.
    I don't think it's ok to be so penny pinching. Pro sports is a little bit different than other industries.
    Another industry can perhaps wait another 6 months to upgrade everyone's laptop or something like that to save a little bit of money.
    Pro sports, there should be more of an incentive to win and not pinch pennies.. Of course, in reality, there's a higher incentive to pinch pennies or tank, but it should not be that way. If a player is worth acquiring, the team should want him there ASAP. It's a problem with MLB as a whole, not just the Pirates.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Pirates sign Keller to a 5 year 77 million $ extension. Good move for them IMO. Keller and Skenes at the top of their rotation should be a pretty solid base to build off.

Tigers Designate TJ Hopkins For Assignment

The Tigers announced that outfielder TJ Hopkins has been designated for assignment as the corresponding move for infielder Gio Urshela, who was signed to a one-year deal earlier today.

Hopkins, 27, was with the Reds last year but has been bouncing around the league in recent months. He was designated for assignment in December when Cincy signed Austin Wynns, later getting flipped to the Giants in a cash deal.

He lasted a couple of months on the Giants’ roster but was designated assignment again in mid-February when that club acquired Otto López. The Tigers claimed him off waivers two days ago but he’s now received his third DFA of the offseason.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...ssignment.html

The guy who started the Reds 3rd game of 2022 signs a minor league deal with the Marlins.

Which Is The Best Team In The NL Central?

The National League Central is arguably the tightest division in the majors right now. That’s subjective but borne out by projection systems.

The FanGraphs projected standings have all five teams currently slated for between 83 and 77 wins, the smallest spread from first to last out of the six divisions.

The PECOTA standings at Baseball Prospectus aren’t quite as tight, with a spread of 11.7 games from first to last, but that’s still narrower than any other division in the league.

Last year, the Brewers took the division fairly easily, going 92-70 and finishing nine games up on the second-place Cubs. But a lot has changed since then and there could still be more changes to come.

Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...l-central.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-23-2024 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I see a future Skyline franchise in the DC area
    As a future regular of that franchise, I can't wait for that to happen!
    Where we gonna go?

The problem with putting a 3rd team in NYC (or somewhere in the Jersey City-Hoboken-Newark triangle where you could draw from a population of 6.4 million between the north and central portions of Jersey) is that all the baseball fans around there are committed to the Yankees or Mets. You'd have to count on large numbers of fans to abandon another team that hasn't moved anywhere in order to make a new team work in that market. That can't be easy.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (02-23-2024),Revering4Blue (02-23-2024),Ron Madden (02-23-2024),westofyou (02-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The problem with putting a 3rd team in NYC (or somewhere in the Jersey City-Hoboken-Newark triangle where you could draw from a population of 6.4 million between the north and central portions of Jersey) is that all the baseball fans around there are committed to the Yankees or Mets. You'd have to count on large numbers of fans to abandon another team that hasn't moved anywhere in order to make a new team work in that market. That can't be easy.
    This is exactly why many A's fans won't easily transition to Giants fans. Culture is strong, it's not as simple as "here's your new MLB team, enjoy."

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-23-2024),Ron Madden (02-23-2024)

Turn Off Ads?